Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hard wired surge protector

I just purchased a micro Minnie. I want to put in a hard wired surge protector. Has any one put in one? And if so where did u install? I pick this up in april.
dmoritz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:45 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a View and put mine inside the shore power compartment adjacent to the input connections. I don't know if this is applicable to yours or not.
Gene36542 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

surge protector

Do you then have a remote read out device? Or does your surge controller display on the controller?

Also, which brand and model did you use?

I have a travel trailer, Micro Minnie.

Thank you for your input.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

This is what I have: Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection
It's available with or w/o remote 30amp or 50amp. I have the 30amp w/ remote. They also make portable units you plug your cable into and attach to the sites hook up. Your choice.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

surge protector

Yes, that is what I have been looking at. I think I want the one with remote. Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Here's a chart comparing options from Progressive Industries:
Progressive Industries, Inc. | Rv Surge Protection
Old 02-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

surge protector

thank you again.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just remember that "surge protection" is a one time event. If the unit suppresses a surge it's toast and will no longer be a surge protector. Oh, it may continue to protect you from all the other problems but sure protection is gone. I rely on a cheap surge protector and check the pedestal with a good multimeter for the other potential problems. It's unlikely that a pedestal will change it's connections after you've hooked up.
starcrwzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by starcrwzr View Post
Just remember that "surge protection" is a one time event. If the unit suppresses a surge it's toast and will no longer be a surge protector. Oh, it may continue to protect you from all the other problems but sure protection is gone. I rely on a cheap surge protector and check the pedestal with a good multimeter for the other potential problems. It's unlikely that a pedestal will change it's connections after you've hooked up.
Actually, these PI hardwired units have field replaceable surge suppressor modules. A specific error code is displayed if it has been damaged.
Old 02-18-2018, 04:05 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoritz2 View Post
I just purchased a micro Minnie. I want to put in a hard wired surge protector. Has any one put in one? And if so where did u install? I pick this up in april.
I have a 2106DS and installed mine below tho oven. Here is a link showing my install.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

surge protector

thank you. I think this is going to work for me.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:58 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I just picked up a 2018 Minnie from a dealer that was pre-owned for a short time by someone else. The unit already had the surge protector installed by the dealer. The remote read-out device was conveniently installed inside the small access door for the other electrical components, above the slide out switches. A hole was cut into the "wood" panel for the display. Something unusual though about this, the technician who gave us our walk through as well as our salesperson did NOT call this a surge protector. Actually the tech said "I don't really know what this is or why the prior owner had it installed" (but the owners manual was with the paperwork I found) Obviously they wanted me to BUY a portable surge protector from their parts dept. (which I will return)
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The 50 amp Progressive with 2 remote read outs is the way I went. I mounted it in the electrical compartment. One readout is there, so when I plug in I can watch the first numbers as the unit checks the power. The 2nd remote is on the electrical panel inside. Nice setup and Progressive is the best.
Indy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I installed the 30amp Progressive model mentioned above. If you have any electrical experience it is mighty easy to install.

Best regards,
Old 02-22-2018, 03:55 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Had an RV buddy who had the surge protector hardwired in his coach....he had a surge one night at the pedestal ( something to do with a bad circuit breaker sticking) which fried his protector....he was lucky that no other damage was done to the coach. The only problem with the hardwired unit was the campground management moved him to another site, and he was stuck......he had to remove the hardwired protector and had to temporary wire the power cord back to original configuration for the night till he got a replacement unit.
With that in mind I decided to use the SSP-50X (w/lifetime warranty)portable plug-in to the pedestal type so as if I ever had the same situation, I would not have to deal with the time for the repair. I like the portable much better because I can use the portable protector to check if the pedestal wiring is good and correct for use ( don't want to plug my power cord to the pedestal to find out it's not correct).....checking prior to connecting the power cord to the surge protector is a must.
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 08:48 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Installing surge protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene36542 View Post
I have a View and put mine inside the shore power compartment adjacent to the input connections. I don't know if this is applicable to yours or not.
Gene36542: I have a Navion and was thinking of installing the progressive 30W EMS as well - did you do that yourself? If so, any tips?
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:32 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Pretty straight forward. I disconnected the shorepower cord at the junction box. I hardwired the junction box direct to the EMS with a short length of 10/3. I added a short length of 10/3 to the input end of the EMS terminating in a male 30 amp plug which I normally keep plugged in to the generator output for immediate access whenever needed. I added a female 30 amp receptacle to my shorepower cord which I now store separately and uses as needed.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:48 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

surge protector

Go to Progressive website. u - tube videos very helpful. Seems pretty straight forward.
Old 03-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

If you're comfortable replacing a 120v outlet at home I don't thing you'll find installing the Progressive unit challenging. If you've never worked on 120v before, you might want to get an experienced friend to help you.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:13 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Progressive EMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene36542 View Post
Pretty straight forward. I disconnected the shorepower cord at the junction box. I hardwired the junction box direct to the EMS with a short length of 10/3. I added a short length of 10/3 to the input end of the EMS terminating in a male 30 amp plug which I normally keep plugged in to the generator output for immediate access whenever needed. I added a female 30 amp receptacle to my shorepower cord which I now store separately and uses as needed.
Gene- thanks for that info. It seems to me that one could have used the power cord that you disconnected to the input end of the EMS and either plug that into the generator female or to shore power. Did I get that right?
Also: did you secure the EMS in that small space? Where did you put the remote monitor?
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote