Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 01:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Mounting a mast to sidewall

I want to mount a telescoping mast to a side or rear wall (for wifi and lightweight ham radio antennas). I do not have a ladder, and as I recall WI told me there were no wood inserts in the back wall. The wood inserts on the side wall (for a TV) are under the awning.

My thought is to use 3/8" thru bolts on the back wall through the aluminum studs, with backing plates at least 2x2" on both the outside and inside walls.

Anyone done anything like this or have suggestions?
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

In my past coach I installed a cb antenna bracket much the same way you are talking about. I drilled a center hole for the cable, the bracket itself had four bolts that I drilled through the coach wall. I got a metal plate that would cover the four bolt holes this spread out the foot print. To finish off the inside I went and got one of those 4x4 fence post covers to cover the bolt ends. I however only had the weight of the bracket and 4 ft antenna so was not concerned about going through the metal studs.

Good Luck safe travels
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:55 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeminnie View Post
I want to mount a telescoping mast to a side or rear wall (for wifi and lightweight ham radio antennas). I do not have a ladder, and as I recall WI told me there were no wood inserts in the back wall. The wood inserts on the side wall (for a TV) are under the awning.

My thought is to use 3/8" thru bolts on the back wall through the aluminum studs, with backing plates at least 2x2" on both the outside and inside walls.

Anyone done anything like this or have suggestions?
I used one of these 16" suction cup grab bars and two hose clamps to attach a light weight telescoping flag pole to create a MIFI antenna. I suctioned the unit to the rear metal sidewall of our slide and ran the wires inside through the slide seal. It was a very secure and inexpensive setup for what I was experimenting with.
Fred 2106DS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Check out thin no holes easy to set up and take down
https://www.amazon.com/TechnoRV-Suct...a-742369121427
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordiegaffer View Post
Check out thin no holes easy to set up and take down
https://www.amazon.com/TechnoRV-Suct...a-742369121427

I made two of these for about $24 in materials, buying the suction cups from Harbor Freight and worm drive bands from Home Depot. Used a Dremmel to carve out part of one handle to thread the worm-drive bands. I have two with a electrical PVC pipe as the mast, just long enough to put in the forward compartment of the RV. Omni-cell antenna attached to end.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-58-i...-lb-57500.html
Old 03-07-2021, 04:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

This is what I use https://tweetys.com/flagpolebuddyandaccessories.aspx the buddipole system works great. They are available from buddipole or I also just found them at camping world. Did not compare prices. The pole is extendible and simply goes into the holder and "rotates" into the holder. I am using a MFJ Octopus antenna with it
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Those are nice but he does not have a ladder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeminnie View Post
I want to mount a telescoping mast to a side or rear wall (for wifi and lightweight ham radio antennas). I do not have a ladder,
bobcat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all for the great suggestions! Winnebago got back, and sent us drawings of our rear wall. Apparently our 2015 1801FB Minnie TT uses wood studs for the front and rear walls, and there are three 2x4 wood inserts (1.5" deep x 3.5" tall x 18.25" wide) for a ladder. So we are now adding an aftermarket ladder and may use these inserts for mounting the mast right next to the ladder, also.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2015 1801fb rear wall.pdf (15.5 KB, 36 views)
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

They also have suction cup mounts which i might trust while parked
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 08:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I'd look at mounting to the A-Frame front and using quick connects on the wiring. That way the mast and that associated wiring could be disconnected and carried inside without adding any load stress onto the body of the trailer. You could route the wiring underneath along the frame and then through the pass-through floor.