Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 08:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Aux fuel tank on tongue

Has anyone mounted an aux tank on their tongue for gasoline? I cant find much info on doing it so I am guessing there is probably a reason

something like this

I am pretty sure I am legally allowed to mount the tank on the tongue by itself, but I don't know about in conjunction with propane? Does anyone see a problem with jamming this tank between the trailer and the propane bottles?

I know I will have to have some brackets welded in the right spots.

Thanks
Steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I am thinking of taking some extra fuel for the truck this summer. I’d love a Titan 55 gallon tank to replace my stock fuel tank... but that is an expensive luxury. I’ll probably just end up with one or two 5 gallon containers strapped down in the corner of the bed.

You’ve presented an interesting idea. I’m guessing most folks wouldn’t want the extra tongue weight. It would also also cut into your cargo capacity on the trailer.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtrack15 View Post
I am thinking of taking some extra fuel for the truck this summer. I’d love a Titan 55 gallon tank to replace my stock fuel tank... but that is an expensive luxury. I’ll probably just end up with one or two 5 gallon containers strapped down in the corner of the bed.

You’ve presented an interesting idea. I’m guessing most folks wouldn’t want the extra tongue weight. It would also also cut into your cargo capacity on the trailer.
I might end up with the jerry cans in the bed as well. I just hate the idea of where that fuel goes in an accident. I do have a heavy duty aluminium tonneau cover and I would strap them down and use steel cans. I would also love to replace my stock tank but can't find one for gas. I've only got 36 gallons.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Fuel weighs what 7lb a gallon? You want to put 315 pounds of additional weight ON THE TONGUE? I wonder why you can't find any comments about others doing this?

And it's gasoline, not diesel? Talk about worrying about what happens in an accident with all that fuel in 6 gal Jerry Cans in the bed of a truck. 45 gals in a trailer that's broken free and sitting behind 30 gal of propane is what you need to worry about.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Fuel weighs what 7lb a gallon? You want to put 315 pounds of additional weight ON THE TONGUE? I wonder why you can't find any comments about others doing this?

And it's gasoline, not diesel? Talk about worrying about what happens in an accident with all that fuel in 6 gal Jerry Cans in the bed of a truck. 45 gals in a trailer that's broken free and sitting behind 30 gal of propane is what you need to worry about.
LOL. Right. That's why I'm asking. My reasoning is... It seems much safer to me in one aluminum baffled dot approved tank than 5 loose jerry cans... In the bed of my truck. The propane in proximity was my concern. I think I can deal with the added tongue weight.

So what would be your suggestion for the safest way to transport an extra 25 gallons of gasoline? For generator and vehicle if need be.

Probably isn't a safe way to do it. I'd convert the generator to propane but I think I'd go through a 30lb bottle of propane in short order.
Old 02-28-2021, 03:23 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve77 View Post
Probably isn't a safe way to do it.
Not with Gasoline. Diesel has a much much higher fire point than gasoline.

Old 02-28-2021, 03:46 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Not with Gasoline. Diesel has a much much higher fire point than gasoline.

Totally understand the difference between gas and diesel. My truck and generator are gas.

There are toy haulers that have gas on board. They must have tanks built into the interior of the trailer? I've seen a few aux gas tank kits that mount under the trailer frame.

Maybe I should be looking how to increase propane and converting generator to propane.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

More tongue weight means having to redistribute weight at rear of trailer, and probably change ball height on hitch, and redo torsion bars on WDH. Most importantly, additional hitch weight translates directly to reduced tow vehicle load capacity. If you’re driving a 3/4 ton, it might not matter much, but 300lbs might put you over or near the top with a 1/2 ton. Impossible to do with my mid-size GMC. I’m already near max when I load up all my truck bed stuff. I had to take weight off the tongue by putting batteries in pass thru.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine359 View Post
More tongue weight means having to redistribute weight at rear of trailer, and probably change ball height on hitch, and redo torsion bars on WDH. Most importantly, additional hitch weight translates directly to reduced tow vehicle load capacity. If you’re driving a 3/4 ton, it might not matter much, but 300lbs might put you over or near the top with a 1/2 ton. Impossible to do with my mid-size GMC. I’m already near max when I load up all my truck bed stuff. I had to take weight off the tongue by putting batteries in pass thru.
I have F250 7.3 liter. I don't want to add weight to the tongue, or transport a bunch of extra fuel. But....in FL sleeping without AC most of the year is miserable. It's honestly the reason we got the trailer to begin with. So I am left trying to choose between adding more propane to the trailer, or transporting gasoline. I also have the issue of my truck only having a 36 gallon tank on a short bed truck. There are no aftermarket tanks for my truck, and the bigger factory tank is designed for the long bed and wont fit.

I knew all this going into the truck of course, but it was a trade off I figured I could find a solution for, as I didn't want diesel truck and/or a long bed.

I was thinking we would need to run both of our honda eu2000's to power the AC, but reading around I might be able to get by with only one, even if I have to put a soft start on the AC. Not sure if this would work running the honda on propane though. I think if I were able to get by on one honda, and switched out the 30lb propane tanks for 40lb propane tanks, we might be good for 3 nights of AC.

But then if we run out of propane the fridge spoils, and I need to refill propane AND gas on the road.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:57 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hi Steve,
You have a good truck. Perfect for towing. If you install an easy start, you may or may not be able to run the ac on one lp converted Honda. Output wattage decreases when running on propane. I just got a Champion 2500w dual fuel which produces 1665w on propane. Better to ask some on forum with the Honda setup. But I can say, using replaceable/tradeable/refillable 20lb lp bottles will be much more convenient than hauling around large tankage of gasoline. This year we will carry two 20lb bottles of lp and one 5gal gas can. If my midsize truck’s gas tank weren’t so small, we wouldn’t need the gas can. We’ll add the easy start next month and hope that our Genny can carry the load for 13,500 AC.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hi Jim, I am in the same boat, needing to carry extra gas for truck and generator. I could convert the generators to run on propane, and get more propane either in the bed or on trailer, but then I still have to carry some extra gas for truck.

I don't know, maybe I will look at under frame 40g gas tank for trailer, mounted in front of axels. Only thing I cant visualize is how to transfer the gas, how to get the gas out of a tank mounted under.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Your truck probably has plenty of payload given the gas engine (much lighter than the diesel). I'm guessing the trailer is a different story. What kind of cargo capacity does your trailer have? Ignoring everything else for a moment, I think the cargo capacity is the first hurdle. What does a 40g tank weigh with fuel, any required frame bracing, and pump/filter/hose?

Edit: Honestly, if it has to go on the trailer, I think I might prefer it up front. Easy install, fewer fittings (leak points), gravity fill, and fugitive emissions are ahead of the trailer shell instead of underneath it. All-in-all I think Jerry cans or some other storage in the truck bed is probably the best option.
Old 03-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Your truck probably has plenty of payload given the gas engine (much lighter than the diesel). I'm guessing the trailer is a different story. What kind of cargo capacity does your trailer have? Ignoring everything else for a moment, I think the cargo capacity is the first hurdle. What does a 40g tank weigh with fuel, any required frame bracing, and pump/filter/hose?
trailer GVWR is 8,800

dry weight is 5,960
freshwater 300
hot water tank 50
black tank 225
gray tank 650
lp 60
gear 500

40gal fuel 260
tank w hoses 200

total 8,205

I take your point though. Problem is I have a short bed, and I'd rather not add 200 lbs to the bed for every day driving plus loose 2 feet of bed. I didnt see many options for in bed tanks that would work with A)my tools and b)my tonneau cover
Old 03-01-2021, 02:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I haven’t found anything I like either... short of a $1800 Titan tank to replace the stock one. I know that isn’t in the cards for you (gas)... or me ($$).
Old 03-01-2021, 03:40 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Time to go to a Toy hauler with a onboard fueling system. Best solution!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I haven’t found anything I like either... short of a $1800 Titan tank to replace the stock one. I know that isn’t in the cards for you (gas)... or me ($$).
yeah, the 40 gallon frame mount tank for the trailer is about that much money too....$1650 and then it needs to be installed. So either a full day of my time or I pay someone probably another 6-700. Not ideal for sure.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
Time to go to a Toy hauler with a onboard fueling system. Best solution!
LOL except we don't have any toys to haul.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:25 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

I did a lot of research on carrying extra gas back when I had a 1500. Nearly all Titan tanks and Aux tanks are created in mind for transporting diesel. There is something not just about the container itself and its design but also the transfer method that works against it. I think you can do it though but its for some reason lacking officially for gas transfer use.

I think the best option is to carry real jerry cans, not chinese knockoff, designed to transport gasoline outdoors and have them mounted to your truck bed.
McTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Thumbs down fuel

if you are talking gas , forget the weight , think of kaboom , i'd council against: that idea
gabbyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 04:51 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

I am seriously considering these: https://rotopax.com/rotopax/rotopax/

Tags
fuel, tank