Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

High Winds-Slide out, HELP!

So the winds are gusting to 30mph, the slide topper on the windward side is raising up - ALOT! - and then reeling back in. I realize this is supposed to happen but this is extreme. If it were at night, we'd bring in the slide as the noise wouldn't let us sleep.
What would you do in the daytime? Is this acceptable? post asap as this will only get worse as the day goes on.
(PS We're in Mammoth Lakes, CA)
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I pull my slides in when high winds are forecasted. The first place the topper begins to fail is at the outside edge where it attaches to the protector or the motorhome. The fluttering causes stress on the fabric and ultimately will start to rip. I look at it as preventative maintenance. I also used some sail tape to reinforce that area in the event I was away during a storm.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenmo View Post
What would you do in the daytime? Is this acceptable? post asap as this will only get worse as the day goes on.
mikenmo, Yes Mother Nature is acceptable. If the wind gets to be a bit too much for you you may have to pull in your slideouts. Try South Dakota!

It's not nice to fool mother nature. Good luck. The wind will die down soon.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

DriVer, when we changed all our residence etc info in SD we experienced some of that wind! Also southern Arizona this year! Just gettin a bit concerned.
mikenmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have not tried this yet but I saw where a guy took swim noodles ran a rope through them and then ran the rope down the middle of the slide sideways and tied it under the slide. You can also buy cheap blow up beach balls to stuff under the topper.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:21 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I wouldn't worry about it. We've been in much higher winds (maybe 70 mph) and left the slides out with no damage. It is noisy, but we didn't have any problem with damage on the same model (08 40TD).
kjburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I had a slide topper damaged in high winds while at Quartzsite in Jan 2010. Just like RJay said, it ripped at both ends. The topper replacement was $400. I now bring the slides in as soon as I hear the toppers making noise.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthomas1 View Post
..I now bring the slides in as soon as I hear the toppers making noise.
Same here. Also, if we're going to be away for the day sightseeing & winds are gusty, we'll roll up the awning. Don't need it being a sail while we're away.

Weather conditions like that are when you find out how liveable your RV is with the slides in.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Corpus Christie gets some high winds. I purchased a 4 inch wide strap that goes across the entire slide length. 12 feet one side, 23 feet the other side. I folded the ends into a triangle and put a grommet in the ends. Tied a rope to the grommet, anchored it to the ground with a spring fore tension. It did a great job. However, I do recommend just bringing the slide in unless you can't live that way.

Do not just throw a rope or line over the awning. It will act like a butter knife and tear through the awning. A flat substance or wide substance is needed, if you are going to have to go that way.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Camping world and other RV places sell a storm strap kit which goes over the awning (could be used over slide topper same way). I have used one on my main awning for years and with proper tie down has withstood over 60mph wind gusts. Wayne M has made the same thing only a wider strap and probably cost less.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:20 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I have an 04 Journey 39K with 3 slides and I have the wind problem also. I ran into a guy with an Adventurer in Parker, AZ this winter who developed/made a solution. He says the wind goes up under the toppers from the outside edge of the slide. He went to Home Depot/Lowes and bought a plastic rain gutter and ripped it lengthwise to form an "L" and painted it same color as the slide and mounted(screws into the outside face of the slide) it up under the awning just beneath the roller arm with enough clearance to let the topper wind back up when pulled in. It prevents the wind from getting under the topper and lifting it up. I have seen this on several other motorhomes. Of course, the new toppers are all enclosed which prevents this problem. I am thinking about doing the retrofit like this guy did. Anyone else done this?

Barry
04 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
02 Dakota 4X
Night Shift Auto Tow Brake
Roadmaster Falcon Tow Bar
doorguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

If I am going to be staying in a place that has winds I have styrofoam blocks that I made (shaped) to go in under each end of the slide topper. Then I throw a strap over the slide topper length wise and secure it under the slide out. Sort of the beach ball/swimming noodle thing.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote