Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Electrical kicking off

We have a 2017 26rbss Minnie Plus. This year the electrical is kicking off at the pole in park or at main breaker inside. I know about what not to have on at same time, but I’m baffled on what’s the cause. Thoughts?
leboga2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:37 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Your trailer should be able to run everything that the trailer was equipped with without tripping a breaker.

Is your trailer 30A or 50A service?

Same park or different parks?

Do you have anything that can measure the current you are drawing? As an example I can get current readings from my surge suppressor so have an idea what is normal and what is not.

Do you know what the voltage reading is when the breakers trip?

Do the breakers trip when the A/C is starting up?

If you run the water heater using gas instead of electric?

What I am thinking is the A/C is drawing more power than usual and causing the breaker to trip. This could be a problem with the A/C itself or with the park voltage. A common A/C problem is a bad startup capacitor but a bad compressor or other things can also cause excessive current draw. The A/C requires a certain amount of power to turn on and run. If the park voltage is low the A/C will draw more current in an attempt to start. With everything else running you could exceed the breaker rating this way as well. About all I can think of at the moment others might have some ideas as well.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Electrical kicking off

We have 30a. It has been at 3 different parks. Each time air is running.
leboga2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:25 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

The fact that it is happening in multiple parks and that the pedestal and trailer panel breakers are tripping I would say the problem isn't due to park power. Really need to know current draw at times with the various trailer items running and when the A/C starts up to get a better idea of the power demand. An A/C unit on start up will draw 16 - 18 amps and settle somewhere around 8 - 10 amps when running. The water heater will draw 8 - 12 amps. These are just ballpark figures but typical for a lot of the equipment out there. Was someone using another high current item like a hair dryer or electric frying pan? If not I am leaning towards the A/C start up being the event that triggers the breaker but not necessarily the cause. I don't know enough about the various RV A/C units and how they are built to provide much more than this. One thing is some A/C units come with what is called a hard start kit and some don't. If your A/C is working correctly it might be that your A/C could benefit from a hard start kit. The best thing I can suggest is have a dealer or mobile repair person look at the trailer to diagnose the excessive current draw.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical