Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Sorry about this and I know this is not the proper forum but if I don't let off a little steam betweeen the ears right now I'll explode and never be heard from again.

TOADS!

I just took delivery of a new 36G Journey on last friday. I had been waiting for two weeks while they fixed the power steering unit. (recall previous posts)Last Monday I took the #1 toad (04 Jeep Grand Cherokee) in for a look see to make sure everything was ok for the long trips. ( on hind site maybe I should have donateted the "sucker" to a local HS for their mechanics) First thing I was told about was that the transfer case was making a "bad sound" or it could be coming from the front differential. (The sound I had noticed, and it was getting a little bad was that of "turning brake drums." estimated cost for repairs, $1200 to $2200 if its the transfer case or the dif. One day later he calls and said, " boy, when we took the cover off the front dif a "lot" of metal came out. And most of the noise you are hearing is the transfer case is bad." How much to fix. "Oh around $3300 for both and Ill have it ready by Wednesday since I know you have to leave town." (My mistake, I tol;d him I was traveling out on Friday.) At 1130 Wednesday he calls and says its ready for pickup. 1200 he calls and say's I recommend putting synthic oil in the difs and transmissiom." Car has 132K on it and thinking that it may not be a bad idea I said OK. At 1230 he calls and says "I got good news and bad news." Boy have I heard that before! Ok what's the bad news first. "We took it on a test drive and while backing it into the parking we heard a load pop. It lost reverse gear." Look I said, thats a little odd since everything was ok 1/2 hour ago. He replies, "Well it's better to have happened here instead of you being fifty miles down the road. But I feel sorry for you and I'll replace the transmission for my costs." How much I asked. "Oh, $1575 should cover it." At this time I take a long look in the mirror and I'm starting to see "SUCKER" written on the forhead. OK, well I have invested the tow base plate, electrical hook up, transfer case and front differential, so what's another 1500. Lord, the car only has a blue book value of 4K. So lets replace the transmission. Total bill at this point, $5000.94. While on the lift I see a nail in the right rear, also tire is just starting to find the tread feelers, two other tires may have 1 K left. Three new tires to match the fourth. $471.80.

I decide to take Car two to have service this morning, leaking pinon gears seal. (Same guy....I take a nother look in mirror and yes in bold bright red letters "SUCKER" has appeared. Reason for leaking gear seal, "flat spot on universal".

Back to the Journey since this is the Winnebago forum....I've driven the baby about 150 miles now. First turn to the right it sounded like an atom boom going off behind me. Couldnot tell what had fallen or came out of it's place. Got it home in rush hour traffic, and by the way this is the first or maybe the second time I've driven on of these. First time I drove one I could not find the "bus brake" pedal and the sales guy with me almost wet his pants as we approached the red light yelling STOP !! STOP !!. Took eyes off road to find pedal and stopped in nick of time. Any way,, looked over MH and still could not find source of big bang. So I drove it the next day and there it was, another right turn and "BANG!!!". Drove it to dealer. As is always the case, we took it out for a test drive to locate noise and she was as silent as a dove on a phone line. I still have not found the source of the bangs but they have dissapeared???

Thanks for listening, maybe a better day tomorrow as I head out for my first overnighter in Stauntton VA at the local Super Walmart.
jk_and_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sorry about this and I know this is not the proper forum but if I don't let off a little steam betweeen the ears right now I'll explode and never be heard from again.

TOADS!

I just took delivery of a new 36G Journey on last friday. I had been waiting for two weeks while they fixed the power steering unit. (recall previous posts)Last Monday I took the #1 toad (04 Jeep Grand Cherokee) in for a look see to make sure everything was ok for the long trips. ( on hind site maybe I should have donateted the "sucker" to a local HS for their mechanics) First thing I was told about was that the transfer case was making a "bad sound" or it could be coming from the front differential. (The sound I had noticed, and it was getting a little bad was that of "turning brake drums." estimated cost for repairs, $1200 to $2200 if its the transfer case or the dif. One day later he calls and said, " boy, when we took the cover off the front dif a "lot" of metal came out. And most of the noise you are hearing is the transfer case is bad." How much to fix. "Oh around $3300 for both and Ill have it ready by Wednesday since I know you have to leave town." (My mistake, I tol;d him I was traveling out on Friday.) At 1130 Wednesday he calls and says its ready for pickup. 1200 he calls and say's I recommend putting synthic oil in the difs and transmissiom." Car has 132K on it and thinking that it may not be a bad idea I said OK. At 1230 he calls and says "I got good news and bad news." Boy have I heard that before! Ok what's the bad news first. "We took it on a test drive and while backing it into the parking we heard a load pop. It lost reverse gear." Look I said, thats a little odd since everything was ok 1/2 hour ago. He replies, "Well it's better to have happened here instead of you being fifty miles down the road. But I feel sorry for you and I'll replace the transmission for my costs." How much I asked. "Oh, $1575 should cover it." At this time I take a long look in the mirror and I'm starting to see "SUCKER" written on the forhead. OK, well I have invested the tow base plate, electrical hook up, transfer case and front differential, so what's another 1500. Lord, the car only has a blue book value of 4K. So lets replace the transmission. Total bill at this point, $5000.94. While on the lift I see a nail in the right rear, also tire is just starting to find the tread feelers, two other tires may have 1 K left. Three new tires to match the fourth. $471.80.

I decide to take Car two to have service this morning, leaking pinon gears seal. (Same guy....I take a nother look in mirror and yes in bold bright red letters "SUCKER" has appeared. Reason for leaking gear seal, "flat spot on universal".

Back to the Journey since this is the Winnebago forum....I've driven the baby about 150 miles now. First turn to the right it sounded like an atom boom going off behind me. Couldnot tell what had fallen or came out of it's place. Got it home in rush hour traffic, and by the way this is the first or maybe the second time I've driven on of these. First time I drove one I could not find the "bus brake" pedal and the sales guy with me almost wet his pants as we approached the red light yelling STOP !! STOP !!. Took eyes off road to find pedal and stopped in nick of time. Any way,, looked over MH and still could not find source of big bang. So I drove it the next day and there it was, another right turn and "BANG!!!". Drove it to dealer. As is always the case, we took it out for a test drive to locate noise and she was as silent as a dove on a phone line. I still have not found the source of the bangs but they have dissapeared???

Thanks for listening, maybe a better day tomorrow as I head out for my first overnighter in Stauntton VA at the local Super Walmart.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #3

Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
Curious '04 GC Bluebook $5K? Driven 3 GCs total of 420,000 miles never replaced a tranny, differential, or transfer case. Did you see the bad parts? Sorry not trying to rub it in but I'd find a new mechanic.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Wow, sounds like you have had your share of "gotcha's" this week. Just a guess on the sound coming from MH....does this sound only happen when turning while the brake pedal is on? If so, it could be the breaks. Had a similar experience on my other coach and found after sitting for awhile, the shoes bound then when I turned while moving they broke loose. Made a very loud noise but went away. Just a thought. Good luck and keep the spirits up.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 04:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

fun time,
The major costs were for the 04 Jeep Grade Cherokee toad, not the MH. Total 5234.00.

Hondo,
Would you beleive...I asked for the universal joint back and received it from the mechanic...this morning I get a phone call from the owner of the shop who said "he was very upset with me for questioning his integety." Now he wants me to bring the part back in so he can see it. It just figures....no more from this guy!
Old 05-16-2007, 05:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I can emphathize with you, we just got rid of the 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. and got a good ole Chev. pickup. The Jeep was a mechanics dream customer, it had been a problem to me since I got it. I was never so glad to see a vehicle leave in my life. I know some will say they never had a problem with their Cherokees and I am glad for them. But give me the Chev..
Oh-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

One possibility of the right-turn 'bang' you are hearing is the air bag on the right side not fully seated, and possibly by turning right it causes the air bag to seat, and 'bang'.

I have read about this noise on this forum before. Maybe if you search you can find it.

P.S. I am told it is harmless (other than startling). A call to 1-800-FTL-HELP may be of help. Have your last 6 digits of your VIN handy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 02:40 PM   #8

Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jk_and_dog:
fun time,
The major costs were for the 04 Jeep Grade Cherokee toad, not the MH. Total 5234.00.

Hondo,
Would you beleive...I asked for the universal joint back and received it from the mechanic...this morning I get a phone call from the owner of the shop who said "he was very upset with me for questioning his integety." Now he wants me to bring the part back in so he can see it. It just figures....no more from this guy! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd run,not walk. This guy has B*LLS!
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Oh-one:
I can emphathize with you, we just got rid of the 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. and got a good ole Chev. pickup. The Jeep was a mechanics dream customer, it had been a problem to me since I got it. I was never so glad to see a vehicle leave in my life. I know some will say they never had a problem with their Cherokees and I am glad for them. But give me the Chev.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I had better luck; just sold a 1998 Cherokee 4-wheel drive (Classic) that I didn't use any more. It had 128k miles on it and only had normal maintenance done to it. Still had the original radiator, power steering pump, a/c unit, etc. It even had the original battery in it. Lots of oil changes, two sets of tires (plus the OEM's) and one brake job... it was a great vehicle and sold it for $4200. Every one that called on it had had a Cherokee before, and that's all they wanted to buy...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Sound like he wants his bad part back to show to the next sucker/customer.You paid for the new part so the old one is yours.
Bob
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote