Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-12-2022, 07:44 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

You said you download to your android tablet? Do you have a smart view button on your pull down menu. I used to use this method to broadcast to my tv . But and it's a big but ( one t ) I have a Samsung tv , I'm not sure if your tv will have it. Good Luck. Micro Minnie 2108 DS
Mstench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:35 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2 View Post
We tried it all . $15 -20 ATT per month camping , or daily driving news , can’t beat it . Campground has to have cell service .
Your TV wifi capable will show your phone ID as the available wifi, just a click away .
We had a direct tv satellite,, never used it . Campground wifi is rarely watchable
In evenings when other campers crowd the bandwidth. The stronger camp sites
Signals are usually pay to play , with having to deal with registering to a streaming provider .
Hot spot is great.

What is the type of account from ATT that offers this? How is the data model?
Old 06-13-2022, 07:49 AM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCLARKE View Post
but without Internet, looks like I am stuck.
That was my experience. When we first attempted to travel without Satellite TV, we tried using a Chromecast and downloaded videos. It worked great at home in testing (because of home internet). But on the road it would never work without internet access. We bought “iPad to hdmi” cables and that worked fine, but was inconvenient.

In the end we found some very good data plans that allowed us to use internet at just about every place we’ve camped in the past 5-yrs and we’ve used Roku devices ever since.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:53 AM   #24
Winnebago Owner

And yet BobC's little adapter idea looks the cheapest and simplest. A word of caution; Though they sell 10' long HDMI cables, often long cables don't work well. Keep them 6' or less.
Rick 99037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:18 AM   #25
Site Team

We have also settled on using the internet to stream through a hot spot to our Apple TV. We have a “grandfathered” AT&T plan with unlimited streaming through our hotspot. It’s still subject to network management after about 30G of data. When we can’t get internet, i connect my iPhone to the TV via a connector cable and watch shows I’ve downloaded before the trip. If that fails, we read a book!
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
We have also settled on using the internet to stream though a hot spot to our Apple TV. We have a “grandfathered” AT&T plan with unlimited streaming through our hotspot. It’s still subject to network management after about 30G of data. When we can’t get internet, i connect my iPhone to the TV via a connector cable and watch shows I’ve downloaded before the trip. If that fails, we read a book!

This is what I have as well. I have a grand-fathered ATT unlimited account. I believe originally it was for iPads. Mine goes into "priority management" after 22G. So far I've only seen it actually degrade my signal once, so I've been lucky. Paying $35.

I've been wondering about the $50 a month T-mobile plan I've heard about and how it might stack up to what I have now.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:16 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

While our T-Mobile phones and Hotspot have data limits (100-120GB/month), our phones have unlimited data, so we download programs to our phones and then stream from phone using chromecast, screen mirroring or HDMI cable.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 05:47 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

I use an iPhone. Bought this lightening adaptor on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It connects the phone to one of the HDMI cables. Then I stream from my phone to the TV off cellular data. It pretty much calls for an unlimited data plan. Sometimes if the cell reception is low, the picture quality isn't as great. But it accomplishes the goal.

I gotta believe you can by a similar dohickey for an Android device.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:29 AM   #29
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

Will ask the wife. We called in to ATT, my son was getting cheaper plan for 5.
Been with them fo 15 years,
Said there new senior plan was I think $65 for 2 iPhone 12’s. And for the camping problem the $20 unlimited plan was a no brainer . ATT
Says the nice thing about that plan is you call in and pause plan if not using camper one month. So no lock in year long plan there. Hot spot is the Mac Daddy of traveling entertainment/ driving with the News on . You get your local stations and everything you have tapped to record.
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote