Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-07-2022, 09:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Could use some help with streaming to TV or Entertainment System

Hi all,

I like to think of myself as fairly technical, but I am at a loss here. I download movies from Netflix to my Android Tablet, and want to be able to watch them on the TV, via some streaming mechanism (Bluetooth, casting etc). I am not looking for 'Network Connectivity' for the full RV.

Our new 2022 2108FBS came with the Connex System WMSMCZ3H and a Insignia TV Model NS-32DF310NA19 (and some form of WiFi, I can't figure out). All this, not the as per published specs “AV system with /AM/FM/CD/DVD/USB/Bluetooth®. LED TV" , as, according to Winnebago customer service "Winnebago’s program of continuous product improvement may result in changes to vehicle specifications, equipment, model availability, and price without notice.”

Anyways, I believed I have tried all options on the TV, tried Bluetooth via the Connex, even tried a ChromeCast stick (but that needs a network connection)

While I believe this all should be relatively simple, I just can't get things to connect, or stream. I have not tried an Amazon stick, as if that needs a network connection, then its no better than my Chromecast device.

If anyone has any thoughts, or found a way to connect their devices, I would GREATLY appreciate the insight.

Thanks in advance

-Stephen
STCLARKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 09:34 AM   #2
Site Team

To stream/cast from your tablet to your TV you’ll usually need a network and internet connection and your Chromecast or other similar device, Roku, FireTV, AppleTV. The TV isn’t a smart TV.

Your TT comes “ready” for you to buy and install a WiFi router, etc. It doesn’t come setup with internet

You probably can watch TV from your tablet with a cable directly connected to an HDMI input on the TV. You’ll need to find out which cable is needed for your particular tablet.
Old 06-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2021 2108. The Connex is useless, and the tv is not smart. We use Roku sometimes, but we are limited by our data plan. If you have Sling TV app on your tablet, you can adjust the stream rate to “low”., which will cut way down on data use. The picture still looks fine on the tablet. We’ve gotten used to watching Sling on our iPad. Really don’t need the bigger tv screen, which we now use only when there’s a good OTA signal, or when we watch dvd.

BTW: we’ve learned how to get the most out of OTA. First, make sure you have the booster button depressed. Then reprogram your tv channels, which takes a few minutes. You have to re-program every time you change locations. We’ve been surprised that the antennae get such good reception anywhere near a population center. In remote areas like BLM, no luck. Guess I shoulda read the manual before frustration set in. You probably did read the manual and know this already.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:35 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Without an Internet connection for a network there is no good solution. If your tablet is capable to output via some type of tablet connection to an HDMI plug into the TV it might work. But a lot of tablets these days have removed that ability on purpose to prevent this very thing.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You don't need the internet to have a functioning wifi network which is what you need to stream to your TV. I've never done this personally, but this should give you a start:

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-use-a-wi...ernet-provider

https://www.lifewire.com/use-router-...-modem-5185147

https://homenetworkgeek.com/can-a-ro...-the-internet/

I'm sure there are other sites that address this if you want more. I noticed that many of the sites I found seem to equate "wifi" with "internet" and address getting wifi internet without an ISP, so skip them. I Googled "wifi router without internet".

It sounds like you may need a computer with an ethernet connection to set this up but I didn't read enough to determine if you need a computer connected to the wifi router via ethernet all the time to act as a hub of sorts.

If you do, an old laptop should suffice.

In any case you won't need a super powerful wifi router since you won't be going through walls, around corners, etc. You may even have an old one knocking around the house.

Let us know how it works.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 05:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Hey Bob, there's a catch-22. While you don't need internet technically to stream to your TV - when you attach a Chromecast, Roku, AppleTV or FireTV they will not boot up and do anything without internet access being available. Which is why the OP said he wasn't able to stream to his Chromecast because it wanted to find the internet to opperate.

A Plesk Server/Hard Disk with movies and TV shows installed and connected to your network will on the otherhand allow you to view shows on your TV. But then you are not streaming from your tablet as the OP wanted, you're playing content via a dedicated media server.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Correct, all streaming devices connected to a dumb tv need an internet connection. That connection can be provided by hot-spotting your phone, or another 4G device, such as a 4G router or 4G enabled tablet.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I'm not giving up on this. Here's another article that specifically addresses Chromecast and an Android device without internet once it's initially been set up with an internet connection:

https://smarthomestarter.com/does-ch...hout-internet/
Old 06-07-2022, 06:09 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I might need a little clarification from the original poster. I thought they wanted to simply watch on their TV a previously downloaded movie that is stored on their tablet. That to me is not streaming. It is called "casting" or "mirroring". I am not familiar with what might all be needed to do that. I do know there is a thing called a ScreenBeam Mini that is supposed work something like that but I think it might have some security issues.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:37 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I think every body is right in their own way. There are three ways to do what OP is seeking. Some are stated but may be lost for OP on what to do.

But the point is you do NOT have to have a Internet Connection.

For OP to simplify your understanding, FORGET downloading Netflix for a moment. That will be easy to do later, focus on which option you can take.

1. Smart TV. If you have one ( which I doubt) you can connect mirror your phone or tablet so the TV shows what is on it. I always buy Samsung TVs and Samsung phones so this is always done automatically. But there many apps for iphones, tablets and androids

2. Roku Device or Apple Device You can connect the device to the TV with HDMI or wireless. Once done you can connect / mirror to the Roku Device or Apple Device just like above if you had Smart TV.

3. Connect HDMI video output cable to your TV to your tablet and phone.

When you have accomplished the above you can see what ever is on your phone real time. And no internet is required.

Now, you go to the Netflix app on tablet, download the movie to tablet, connect your tablet to TV with one method above and play the movie. Be sure to get the popcorn 1st
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasttimes View Post
Without an Internet connection for a network there is no good solution. If your tablet is capable to output via some type of tablet connection to an HDMI plug into the TV it might work. But a lot of tablets these days have removed that ability on purpose to prevent this very thing.
There are lots of options for connecting HDMI to an Android tablet. This probably the simplest way to solve the OP's problem.

https://www.google.com/search?q=andr...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 06-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Our Smart TV supports Samsung's screen mirroring and Chromecast. Plus, if everything else fails, we have a USB-C to HDMI cable that can be used to plug a smartphone or tablet directly into one of the TV input ports.

While our TV has built-in streaming apps, we usually download programs to a smartphone or tablet overnight and then transmit it to the TV, rather than trying to live stream the program, which can be challenging if not getting good WiFi or LTE/5G signal.

Plus our 5G smartphones have an unlimited data plan, so downloading the programs overnight doesn't cost us anything, while using a hotspot has a data cap.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 06:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Wow, I didn't realize this post would get so many replies. Thanks to all of you. And yes, I guess I do want to Mirror or Cast to the dumb TV from a device that does not have Ethernet nor HDMI. The movie from Netflix is on my Android Tablet, and I want to watch it on the bigger TV Screen.

I have been looking into the newer versions of Chromecast, which come with a 'guest' mode, but looks like Wifi is initially required to set it up. This I can do in my driveway presumably, however, if it needs a network to just boot, then when camping I'd be at a loss.

DKoldman I neither have a Smart TV nor HDMI, so your suggestion for option 2 seems feasible but I may try with a borrowed Gen 3 Chromecast to see if that will work.

BobC, I'll try the little adapter, but I really didn't want HDMI cables strung about the RV.

I really wish Winnebago provided a smart TV with the rig. It would have been far easier. If all else fails, I may just have to purchase a new one and replace it with the one in the RV.

Thanks all ! Greatly appreciate the feedback and suggestions
Old 06-09-2022, 07:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCLARKE View Post

DKoldman I neither have a Smart TV nor HDMI, so your suggestion for option 2 seems feasible but I may try with a borrowed Gen 3 Chromecast to see if that will work.

I really wish Winnebago provided a smart TV with the rig. It would have been far easier. If all else fails, I may just have to purchase a new one and replace it with the one in the RV.

Thanks all ! Greatly appreciate the feedback and suggestions
Are you sure your TV does NOT have HDMI? I google the part number NS-32DF310NA19 you provided. Is this your TV?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...=960&keys=keys

The specs say it have 3 HDMI ports and a Smart TV? It also has WiFi, only one kind of WiFi I know.

Might help to clear that up first.

In the meantime since you don't want Internet connection, a Smart TV whether you have one or not is immaterial because you will not be able to use.

Let us know how the Chromecast go. It should work. The type of phone or tablet you plan to use may be relevant that it works or is compatible with your TV?

I have Samsung phone, I replaced my Insignia non smart TV with a Samsung Smart TV. I have 5 options to stream with no Internet. Note: I use Internet 100% of the time though!!!

1. My phones automatically see and connect to my Samsung 40" TV.
2. I can use a Phone App to Mirror and cast my phone to the TV
3. I can connect my Roku direct to HDMI
4. I can connect my Roku wireless to the TV
5. I can connect my Phone to my Roku wireless and let my Roku stream to the TV via HDMI(#3) or Wireless (#4)

If your TV, does NOT have a HDMI port, I would dump it, especially if you have 2022 RV I have 2 HDMI cables going to all 3 of my TVs, and short of looking right behind the Main TV, I will pay you $100 bucks if you can see a HDMI wire. I take that back, my Visio Sound bar connects to my TV with HDMI ARC.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 06-09-2022, 09:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Replacing the dumb stock TV that came with our 2021 View 24D was the first upgrade we purchased on our way home.

We purchased a Samsung 32" 4K Smart TV - that not only has built-in streaming apps (using Google TV, accessing their play store), but the video quality is significantly better and the audio volume is loud enough to hear over the air conditioner.

We were very disappointed in the quality of the stock TV, but probably did better in purchasing a Smart TV we chose, rather than relying on Winnebago to pick something for an upgrade...
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 05:14 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. I re-read my reply, and what I meant to say was that the device I wanted to cast/mirror from does not have HDMI. Yes, the TV does. Sorry about that. Also, the TV isn't that smart, and does require wifi/internet, which I will not have while camping. It's also not that I don't want Internet, it just isn't available where we camp (unless I hotspot via my mobile phone and chew up my data allocation)

If the Chromecast doesn't work, then I may be seeing a true smart tv purchase in the future.

Thanks again
Old 06-10-2022, 06:22 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by STCLARKE View Post
Thanks. I re-read my reply, and what I meant to say was that the device I wanted to cast/mirror from does not have HDMI. Yes, the TV does. Sorry about that. Also, the TV isn't that smart, and does require wifi/internet, which I will not have while camping. It's also not that I don't want Internet, it just isn't available where we camp (unless I hotspot via my mobile phone and chew up my data allocation)

If the Chromecast doesn't work, then I may be seeing a true smart tv purchase in the future.

Thanks again
You might wish to list the device you wish to stream from.

What is difference between what you call True Smart TV versus what you have? All Smart TVs requires Wifi or Ethernet. Each Mfg has their own version of apps based on model TV you may have. That is why I stated above solutions that do not require Wifi.

I use Roku but Apple TV is equally as good if not better. But I do this all the time on my 2 other Insignia TV that has ZERO Smart, meaning no WiFi. I connect my Roku to HDMI BEHIND the TV, you cannot see ANY wires. My phone connect to my RoKu and everything on my Phone is on HDMI 2 in my case. I have my 3 Rokus in my RV and my main Roku is in Entertainment cabinet and via a HDMI Switch from Winnebago, the wires run behind the walls to ALL three TVs on HDMI. So if I stream a football game on that Roku it is on all 3 TVs at the eaxct same time.

I really love what Winnebago has done. In my view, you have better OEM Insignia TVs in you 2022 than I got in my 2019. I replace one the MAIN inside 40 " TV already because I am a Samsung NUTTT I am just waiting for the only two to just blink; so I may replace them, but to be honest they are just fine for Cable input and my Roku inputs.

Related and not to extend the topic or confuse you.
But for 2 1/2 years we stream from phone hot spots like you are wanting to fighting at campsites trying to get good wifi etc. Several months back I bought the T - Mobile Home Internet for $50/month. When we do travel we carry it with us and now we always have very good internet in our RV 24/7. We keep our RV at home so it is always hooked up to go. I don't sweat that stuff any more trying to connect to some local wifi or use my phones data.

Good luck,
Old 06-10-2022, 06:50 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

dkoldman, I feel as if we need to speak directly ;-)

Anyway, in my first post, I note that I have an Android Tablet, and re Mobile Data, up here in Canada Mobile Data rates are horrendous! I don't want to be giving all that money to my mobile provider and would rather use it on other amenities while on vacation.

All this is really a work around anyway. When we camp we are outside most always except to sleep. This is a backup in case of inclement weather when we may be forced to stay indoors.

I'll start of with the Chromecast, and go from there.

Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions
Old 06-12-2022, 04:22 PM   #19
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

Hot spot ,

We tried it all . $15 -20 ATT per month camping , or daily driving news , can’t beat it . Campground has to have cell service .
Your TV wifi capable will show your phone ID as the available wifi, just a click away .
We had a direct tv satellite,, never used it . Campground wifi is rarely watchable
In evenings when other campers crowd the bandwidth. The stronger camp sites
Signals are usually pay to play , with having to deal with registering to a streaming provider .
Hot spot is great.
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:52 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ2 View Post
We tried it all . $15 -20 ATT per month camping , or daily driving news , can’t beat it . Campground has to have cell service .
Your TV wifi capable will show your phone ID as the available wifi, just a click away .
We had a direct tv satellite,, never used it . Campground wifi is rarely watchable
In evenings when other campers crowd the bandwidth. The stronger camp sites
Signals are usually pay to play , with having to deal with registering to a streaming provider .
Hot spot is great.

I wish I could get something up here in Canada for $15 -$20 per month, but alas, we cannot. I'm doing some deeper digging into the TV's capability and maybe there is an app I can use. Bottom line, I want to stream/mirror/cast from my android tablet to the TV. WITHOUT Internet. I have installed an old wifi router, so at least I have a 'network' but without Internet, looks like I am stuck.