Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-26-2023, 04:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2306BHS- Installed a high-mount brake light.

I just finished installing a High Mount Brake Light on the back of my 2022 Micro Minnie 2306BHS and it turned out very well. Due to the configuration of the back wall in this model it was very easy.

I mounted it at 72" above the ground, as this is supposedly a DOT height limit. I was able to drill through the back wall right into the back of the cabinet in the bathroom. Then I ran the wire in the cabinet down along the white PVC vent pipe and into the compartment under the bottom bunk. From there it was easy work to tap into the 12V lighting wires righ behind the left turn signal. I *strongly* suggest using closed-end crimp connectors rather than less-reliable taps or wire nuts.

I put some duct seal putty in around the hole before securing the light. I used a level to position the light and predrilled tiny holes before attaching it with the self-tapping screws. Then I applied Dicor clear sealer.

I installed this light : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CZ6CQT7 from Amazon.

For this particular Amazon light only, the following applies:
  • The green wire on the light taps into the brown wire on the trailer lighting harness
  • The brown wire on the light taps into the green wire on the trailer lighting harness
  • The white wire on the light taps into the white wire on the trailer lighting harness
  • The brown wire on the light taps into the green wire on the trailer lighting harness
  • The yellow wire on the light taps into the red wire on the trailer lighting harness

This was an easy project once I figured out the wiring. I think this brake light will be visible above most SUVs cars, so I feel this was a worthwhile project.

Old 08-27-2023, 12:23 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Why? Just curious.
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 04:47 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

So people behind the car behind me can more often see when I brake. Same reason it's mandatory safety feature on cars manufactured in the US!
Old 08-27-2023, 05:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Gotcha!
Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 05:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Your directions don't add up, the picture shows 5 wires coming from the light with one being red, and you gave directions for the brown wire twice. I am curious if this flashes when you signal? I have a four wire one that flashes when I signal until I step on the brake then it stays on. It also works normally as a brake light when not signaling. There isn't anything wrong with it but with 4 wires that's all it can do even with logic circuitry.
Curious also if yours uses all 5 wires and does it need to connect to a 7 way or will it work properly on a 4 way?
Looking at the description it appears that a 4 wire trailer plug won't be enough as it needs a brake light signal on the red.
Old 08-27-2023, 05:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Yep- you are correct. I wanted to edit the original post but I guess I can't? The corrected wiring instructions are below. Thanks for catching it!

The light does have a sort of animation that tells which direction you are turning. With trailers like ours, it does not use the light's red brake light wire because there is no dedicated brake wire... it keys off the directional signals somehow. This is standard design on all 7-pin trailers that I am aware of.

Also I didn't mention - you need to splice wire onto the light , it only comes with a foot or so of wire. I soldered and heat shrinked a four-conductor wire from Auto-Zone to extend it.

Corrected info:
*The green wire on the light taps into the brown wire on the trailer lighting harness
*The brown wire on the light taps into the green wire on the trailer lighting harness
*The white wire on the light taps into the white wire on the trailer lighting harness
*The yellow wire on the light taps into the red wire on the trailer lighting harness
*The red wire on the light is unused, I cut it off.
Old 08-27-2023, 06:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Here's an album of the install.

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...albums551.html
Old 09-03-2023, 06:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I did the same for our Minnie Winnie 27Q. In my opinion anything that adds to the margin of safety is worth the effort.

At first I thought the wiring was going to be the worst part, but while looking at the E450 wiring schematic I saw there was a multi-wire connector at the back end of the left frame rail. Using a tester I found that one of them was a wire for the brake lights - and best of all it was unused in the current brake light setup. And the connector had a ground wire too.

So I ran the wiring behind some trim work, down into the rear storage area, and though the coach floor right above the connector.

It works perfectly, and I'm somewhat reassured we'll be a little safer - at least from these who are paying attention.

Tags
brake, install, led, light