Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Center mount brake light replacement in 2007 Itasca

Hello all,

Has anyone ever replaced the center mount brake light in a 2007 Itasca Sunova or something similar? I believe a range of Winnebago models have it. The replacement part appears to have a decent amount of wire and I'm wondering if the wire is right behind the light, or snakes somewhere inside.

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	centermountbrakelight.JPG
Views:	288
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	171773
Jikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I had a problem with mine and exhausted all paths to a new one without success. Here's what mine looks like.

With no replacement at a reasonable price available, decided to attempt repair. Had to cut the case open but that was easy since it's plastic. And here's what it looked like inside after I'd installed the LED strip. My cost was $0 since I didn't need to buy anything. I did find entire assemblies but they were too expensive for my tastes.

What I did was carefully remove (desoldered) the LEDs. Then grabbed a LED light strip I had laying around from another project and soldered it in place. Removed the 5 Red LEDs (one of which was still good) and replaced with a strip of 8 white LEDs.

Now what I found was that the white LEDs were not as bright as the original reds and the next time I run into a bunch of the reds, I'll grab them to get a little more brightness. But presently they're bright enough to see a car length or more back from the RV, even in daylight. At night they're fine. And they have the standard 1157 standard brake lights on either side. They're basically redundant and only prevent a ticket in the event that one of the stop light bulbs burns out.

When I put it back together, I sealed it with that aluminum ducting tape.

The wires were a bit short so as I worked the LED light out of the end cap, I clamped the wires so they wouldn't slip back inside, something you can do with a small set of vice grip pliers. I have medical clamps. Those wires could only be pulled out a couple inches though they are accessible from the engine compartment in a rear engine diesel.

Here's the entire article...I also had to modify some bulb sockets for the running, brake, and stop light sockets since I didn't have time to wait for the right ones from China (only place I could find them). I have nothing against LEDs in this situation it's just that I have many many 1156 & 1157 incandescent bulbs...might as well keep using them.

Rear Indicator Lights

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I went a little crazy, JK.. I did not like the fact that the taillights were both low and recessed. My 2002 looked too much like '57 Chevy taillights to me.

My third light was an aquarium. It was easy to replace with one off eBay - a wire crimp job. I also bought ambulance, perimeter lights. These have a feature I really like - flash once/then on.

It was kind of a PITA. I'll make a posting about it one day.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TLS - 1.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	171780  
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetstuff View Post
I went a little crazy, JK.. I did not like the fact that the taillights were both low and recessed. My 2002 looked too much like '57 Chevy taillights to me.

My third light was an aquarium. It was easy to replace with one off eBay - a wire crimp job. I also bought ambulance, perimeter lights. These have a feature I really like - flash once/then on.

It was kind of a PITA. I'll make a posting about it one day.

Jim
Those look really nice. I would like to see your posting!

Wait, you can buy aquarium LED bar lights that would work as a replacement for our LED brake lite? I'll have to check that out. Never even thought of that while I was searching for a suitable replacement.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Sorry for the mislead, Jim. Rather, I should have said; my OEM lamp was a good way the check R/L centerline level, given the amount of water in it.

Cheers. Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetstuff View Post
Sorry for the mislead, Jim. Rather, I should have said; my OEM lamp was a good way the check R/L centerline level, given the amount of water in it.

Cheers. Jim
Ahh, ok, I get it.

Old 06-22-2019, 12:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Home Deport and WalMart carries a third brake lightbar (about 16" long). Same brand name if I remember right. Anyway, I bought one for my 2016 Minnie Winnie which didn't come with one.

My biggest problem was how to run with wiring to it. I wrestled with a few different ideas, including surface-mount wiremold, but they would be "professional". One day the DW said she want me to remove the bed's headboard which was mounted on the back wall of our Minnie Winnie 27Q. Once that was off the lightbulb suddenly flashed over my head! I could simply mount the light where I initially wanted it in the first place which was below the top of the headboard on the inside. Thus I could drill the wiring hole straight through the back wall (properly sealed of course) and run it down into the rear basement compartment and then to join the harness for the tail/brake lights.

When Mamma was finished rehabbing the headboard it completely hid the new wiring. Then the only remaining trick was finding the correct wire to splice into for the brake light only, not a turn signal light. I was able to find that relatively easy by finding the connector from the chassis wiring harness to the Winnebago coming from the coach and using a test light with alligator clips to find the right pin.

My third brake light works like a charm and the wiring is virtually invisible!!!
Old 06-22-2019, 06:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I had to replace the 3rd brake light light in my 08 Sunova shortly after I purchased in 2016. If my memory is right, there was a “decent” amount of wire on the back of the light. You obviously need to be careful so it doesn’t fall back into the body cavity, but there was enough there you could pull the old light out a reasonable distance, wire the new one on, and then mount back on the RV without too much angst.

I’d have to dig, I went with a aftermarket unit that looked and fit just like the Winnie Version, but was a our 1/2 the price.

Good luck!
Old 06-26-2019, 04:54 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Yes, quite easy on my 2004 Mini Wini. Long wires leading to the light. Available on Amazon:
American AT-LED-28SMT Center Mount Brake Light - Red
Sold by: Winnebago Industries
$27.05. I had to get bigger screws as the ones supplied were two small diameter. DJ
djswinnebago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, brake, itasca, light, replace, replacement