Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2021, 08:04 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcborn View Post
Thank You for that.

The Jack knife Sofa has a space behind for the folding dinette table, thus the the center point of the weight is more to the inside of the trailer. When the sofa is folded open, I assume the weight is even unless the person sleeps against the wall/over hang when slide is open.

Fred, do you foresee any issue with the weight being placed more on the overhang of the slid? how would that effect the HappiJac slide hardware.

As I have your attention, what is the width (54" or 60") of your front bed over the Murphy? Is it a folding mattress?
No, I don't see any issue with weight on the overhang. It is a shallow slide, it only extends and retracts 17" and the HappiJac framing and slide hardware seem pretty robust.

The bed is 60" wide and has a folding mattress which is starting to rip at the fold. We added a 2" topper which made the mattress a little more comfortable but it still needs help. We will replace it at some point.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 01:07 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 2106DS View Post
No, I don't see any issue with weight on the overhang. It is a shallow slide, it only extends and retracts 17" and the HappiJac framing and slide hardware seem pretty robust.

The bed is 60" wide and has a folding mattress which is starting to rip at the fold. We added a 2" topper which made the mattress a little more comfortable but it still needs help. We will replace it at some point.
Fred Thanks for that.

Few questions re the folding mattress;

Would you go folding again and do you find yourself folding it daily to us Murphy?

Will the mattress fold easily with bedding intact?

Would you suggest 8" or 10" mattress in the future, would in your opinion 10" be too tall for practicable use. Obviously would have to be left down.

I noticed you used to pull with an older Tacoma, I have a 2018 with 278HP, with the intension of Chipping for increased power and torque. What were your thoughts on pulling with the lower HP Tacoma. How was yours in cross winds and semi's passing?

Like your trailer hitch addition and the 400 watts of solar. You using dual 6 Volt batteries or dual 12 volt Lithium? Please tell us about the effect of having 400 watts of solar.
Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcborn View Post
Fred Thanks for that.

Few questions re the folding mattress;

Would you go folding again and do you find yourself folding it daily to us Murphy?

Will the mattress fold easily with bedding intact?

Would you suggest 8" or 10" mattress in the future, would in your opinion 10" be too tall for practicable use. Obviously would have to be left down.

I noticed you used to pull with an older Tacoma, I have a 2018 with 278HP, with the intension of Chipping for increased power and torque. What were your thoughts on pulling with the lower HP Tacoma. How was yours in cross winds and semi's passing?

Like your trailer hitch addition and the 400 watts of solar. You using dual 6 Volt batteries or dual 12 volt Lithium? Please tell us about the effect of having 400 watts of solar.
We probably wouldn't go with another folding mattress. We fold it up every so often, but its down most days.

Yes, the bed folds easily and the bedding stays intact.

We would be looking for an 8" mattress, both of us are short, so a 10" mattress would not be practicable for us. Early on, I actually built a step for my side of the bed so I would be able to turn around and set back on the bed to get in.

Our 2011 Tacoma pulled the MM fine. It had enough power and pulled the hills here in Pennsylvania fine. Braking was also good once the P3 brake controller was dialed in. The one thing I had trouble with initially was porpoising so I added air bags to the rear suspension and found that adding 17 lbs. of air prior to hooking up, was just enough air to stop this and did not have a negative effect on my Blue Ox hitch setup.

As for crosswinds and semi's, I never had any sway issues using the Blue Ox setup. You may feel a little sideways push, but no sway. The vehicle that I found that gave me the biggest push is what I call the old style bread trucks, they seem to push the biggest wave of air.

My battery setup is two 12V Battle Born Lithium batteries. The 400 watts of solar works well as long as you aren't under trees or have cloud cover. I ran a cumulative amp-hour test here in central PA on August 8th of this year, it was a mostly sunny day with some clouds. From daylight to dark the 400 watts of solar put a 135 amp-hours on energy back into my batteries. The highest instantaneous solar amperage reading recorded to date is 21.46 amps. The maximum theoretical amperage I could see is 21.89 amps based on the specs of my mixed manufacturer panels. Based on these readings, I believe my 400 watts of solar is working well.
Fred 2106DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:10 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred 2106DS View Post
We probably wouldn't go with another folding mattress. We fold it up every so often, but its down most days.

Yes, the bed folds easily and the bedding stays intact.

We would be looking for an 8" mattress, both of us are short, so a 10" mattress would not be practicable for us. Early on, I actually built a step for my side of the bed so I would be able to turn around and set back on the bed to get in.

Our 2011 Tacoma pulled the MM fine. It had enough power and pulled the hills here in Pennsylvania fine. Braking was also good once the P3 brake controller was dialed in. The one thing I had trouble with initially was porpoising so I added air bags to the rear suspension and found that adding 17 lbs. of air prior to hooking up, was just enough air to stop this and did not have a negative effect on my Blue Ox hitch setup.

As for crosswinds and semi's, I never had any sway issues using the Blue Ox setup. You may feel a little sideways push, but no sway. The vehicle that I found that gave me the biggest push is what I call the old style bread trucks, they seem to push the biggest wave of air.

My battery setup is two 12V Battle Born Lithium batteries. The 400 watts of solar works well as long as you aren't under trees or have cloud cover. I ran a cumulative amp-hour test here in central PA on August 8th of this year, it was a mostly sunny day with some clouds. From daylight to dark the 400 watts of solar put a 135 amp-hours on energy back into my batteries. The highest instantaneous solar amperage reading recorded to date is 21.46 amps. The maximum theoretical amperage I could see is 21.89 amps based on the specs of my mixed manufacturer panels. Based on these readings, I believe my 400 watts of solar is working well.
I'm just working through the weights now to see if everything will work out and remain within weight guidelines. Looking at your weights you were pretty close to max GVW for the truck. With a 1000lb payload, two people, a dog, a canopy, my car topper (walker bay rigid dinghy) tongue weight and cargo in front of trailer doesn't leave much if any to carry anything in the box itself. GCVW is not the issue here obviously.

I first put in Sumo Springs and It didn't stop the sag, next I had an extra leaf added and the pac de-arched so the truck sat at stock level. There is no space between the sumo's and the frame now. Any movement is in the complete setup itself. I still get a bit of porpoising with the 800lb bars. I have the Equalizer E2 hitch for my current trailer, but intend on going with the Equalizer 4 point 1000/10000 hitch once I find a 2106. Hopefully that with help with the remaining porpoising and any issues with a longer trailer. My current trailer is a 2012 Dutchman Kodiak 177QBSL (20' - 5").

Gotta Love those Battle Born Batteries, I have one I use for my Minkota Trolling Motor.
Bcborn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement