Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-20-2024, 09:59 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

bumping a slightly old thread to report that we too are now victims of slide out issues. :/

it's been working great. of course it fails to extend when we arrive at the camp site. Not really sure what we can do, other than leave it in for the whole trip. Frustrating, to say the least.

It's the lower motor towards the front (towards the bed) that seems to be binding up. I'm wondering if we can manually disconnect that motor and open it with the other 3 if we apply some gentle pressure against it from the inside? I'm not sure if that's a terrible idea or not, but it'd be nice to have the thing extended. we'll be sitting here for 4 days.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:10 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingMedics View Post
bumping a slightly old thread to report that we too are now victims of slide out issues. :/

it's been working great. of course it fails to extend when we arrive at the camp site. Not really sure what we can do, other than leave it in for the whole trip. Frustrating, to say the least.

It's the lower motor towards the front (towards the bed) that seems to be binding up. I'm wondering if we can manually disconnect that motor and open it with the other 3 if we apply some gentle pressure against it from the inside? I'm not sure if that's a terrible idea or not, but it'd be nice to have the thing extended. we'll be sitting here for 4 days.
There are only 2 motors at the top of each side with a drive shaft all the way down to the lower corners. You have to disconnect the motor at the top and you can then manually push the slide. You might be able to put the controller in manual override to get it out. The video shows the process for getting the motor out:
Old 03-20-2024, 10:37 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

If it's in I think you're best to leave it in.

Damn sorry to hear that!
If it's in I think you're best to leave it in.
A pain squeezing through the galley area but the trailer should still be useable. Certainly not the outing I suppose you were hoping for.
Sounds identical to our failure last year. That was attributed to a Lippert build problem I believe related to a shoe and possibly a rivet. Lippert had a TSB. If that's the problem I don't think the following approach (which I have no experience with) would be appropriate. Its intended for an electrical or motor problem.

There is a motor at the top of each drive shafts, one on each side. You would have to remove (pop up) both to free the slide room to move. from what I read its still a bear to move and the best case use is for pushing the room in to get on the road to a shop. Even then bracing the room from sliding out is recommended during transit.
I'd say best not to pop the motors up/to avoid the sliding out in transit situation. they act as a brake on the slide mechanism.

If possible you might call a mobile Tech.?

really damn sorry you got hit by this.

-steve
SactoSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:46 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

My notes from our slide out issue, (Earlier in this thread)

Lippert has issued a TSB for their “Inverted Gear Rack In-Wall Slide-Out System manufactured between October 2021 and January 2022”
In their words “to address the concern of the increased frequency of Schwintek slide systems becoming inoperable in the identified time frame.”

Oct 2021 to Jan 6 2022
“The primary cause has been determined to be damage to the guide shoe located within the slide mechanism. This can lead to premature system wear and in some cases reaching the point of rendering the system inoperable. While there are multiple contributing factors that can cause this to happen, we have identified a period between October 2021 and January 2022 when inconsistent handling at the Lippert production facility may have caused damage to some shoes. In addition to implementing corrective actions during the assembly process, Lippert made a design improvement to the shoe to provide additional strength. Systems that were subject to damage during this time may be more prone to breakage under certain conditions.”
Old 03-25-2024, 11:12 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

We talked to a location that installs the Vroom slide systems and I think that we're going to be going that route instead. With what we do, we can't risk having another issue like this while at an event. The reports I've seen elsewhere on the Vrooms have been good and folks report that it's reliable *and* there's a manual crank if absolutely necessary.
Old 03-25-2024, 07:03 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Good move

I think thats a great option, we looked at that when it was mentioned, I think in this thread. It looks like really the only reasonable approach to an in wall slide system.
For such a critical system (ya can’t move until repaired) its astounding that Winnebago did not address it in the FLX package. To me the employment of the, known to be questionable, Schwintek in wall system, given the top-end Truma and FLX Solar packages, is just baffeling! To say the least.

Great choice and good luck with it!

-Steve

Tags
slide, slideout