Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-28-2023, 06:27 PM   #1
rth
Winnebago Camper

Sprinter engine oil display 2023 View

We have a 2023 View on the Sprinter chassis. When we picked up new the dash oil level guage showed Max. Over 9,000 miles, it slowly dropped to half. I had oil changed by Mercedes and now guage shows 1/2 or less. I asked the dealer what was going on. He said that Mercedes over fills them when new. In the shop, the computer puts the proper amount of oil in. The 1/2 level is supposed to be normal. What are others seeing on their dash oil level guage.
rth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 07:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rth View Post
We have a 2023 View on the Sprinter chassis. When we picked up new the dash oil level guage showed Max. Over 9,000 miles, it slowly dropped to half. I had oil changed by Mercedes and now guage shows 1/2 or less. I asked the dealer what was going on. He said that Mercedes over fills them when new. In the shop, the computer puts the proper amount of oil in. The 1/2 level is supposed to be normal. What are others seeing on their dash oil level guage.
Do you mean it's showing half full, or half a quart low? Half a quart low is nothing to worry about, I run my V-6 1/2 quart low all the time. I assume you have a 2022 chassis with the same V-6 OM642 as mine which holds 14 quarts. Over the years I've run all my diesels a bit low as they seem to burn off the first 1/2 qt anyway, and with the direct injection engines with the closed crankcase ventilation system oil mist gets passed into the intake and what doesn't cake up in the intake gets burned.

As far as the shop telling you that Mercedes overfills them, that may be their opinion but I don't think the factory overfills them at all, I think they just fill them to the top, which is fine but like I said it will probably just burn off. Why would a new vehicle manufacturer set up the system to read 1/2 low if that was really the full level? I partly blame this on too much electronics on them, what's wrong with just giving us a dipstick? You might look into seeing if yours can take a dipstick, mine has one and that's what I go by. Pretty sure you can order one.

If you should decide to top it off be very careful to use only 229.52 approved oil from the list. Mercedes USA uses Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 and 5W-30 but there are many more to choose from on the list: https://operatingfluids.mercedes-benz.com/sheet/229.52
Old 10-30-2023, 03:11 PM   #3
'21 View 24J

Hi - We've got over 60,000 kilometers (37,000 miles) on our '21 View, and have seen the oil quantity drop from full on the gauge - to needing a 1/2 quart by the time of the next oil change. The Sprinter diesel does burn oil, and a 1/2 quart down does not bother me a bit.

We change the oil more frequently than scheduled, and can say that every time leaving the shop the oil quantity gauge has shown a different value - Full, half, and even 1/3. I believe it is going to depend on the tech that adds the oil.

After a 10,000 mile trip where we started with 1/2, I have seen it on min and turn amber - with instructions to add a quart of oil. After adding a quart, it only showed a little over 1/2. I would have expected it closer to full, but I'm thinking that is an indicator of the type of accuracy we can expect from the gauge.

I have been told by the dealer that the shop has an alternate digital system they use to determine the quantity - but again, our gauge has never been in the same place after an oil change.

Cheers,
Ontario Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 03:16 PM   #4
'21 View 24J

Oh, and I'm with bigb - what was Mercedes thinking when they decided to remove the dipstick and rely on electronics!
Old 10-30-2023, 06:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Don View Post
Oh, and I'm with bigb - what was Mercedes thinking when they decided to remove the dipstick and rely on electronics!
Actually there is a dipstick tube in place on the passenger side of the engine. It has a rubber plug in place. They just omitted the dipstick. If you check sprinter source dot com there is a part number for the stick that you can buy. When I researched this a few years back the dipstick was $40, something.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 03:30 AM   #6
'21 View 24J

Very Interesting.

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2023, 12:25 PM   #7
'21 View 24J

Sprinter 3500 VS30 / 907 Chassis Engine Oil Dipstick

Our dealer will not sell me a dipstick for our '21 View on a '20 Sprinter, but did admit that they insert a "tool" in the dipstick tube for shop work. The said it cannot remain in the vehicle for driving...

Ok.

I see a couple of options out there for what is advertised as a MB dipstick for a VS30 / 907 chassis:

Owl Vans:

https://owlvans.com/products/sprinte...2019-2022-vs30

Terra Wagen

https://www.terrawagen.com/products/...-oil-dip-stick

These look like the same product, to me. Does anyone have any experience with dropping one of these dipsticks into their VS30 / 907 Sprinter?

Thanks,
Old 10-31-2023, 01:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Sprinter 3500 VS30 / 907 Chassis Engine Oil Dipstick

Our dealer will not sell me a dipstick for our '21 View on a '20 Sprinter, but did admit that they insert a "tool" in the dipstick tube for shop work. The said it cannot remain in the vehicle for driving...

Ok.

I see a couple of options out there for what is advertised as a MB dipstick for a VS30 / 907 chassis:

Owl Vans:

https://owlvans.com/products/sprinte...2019-2022-vs30

Terra Wagen

https://www.terrawagen.com/products/...-oil-dip-stick

These look like the same product, to me. Does anyone have any experience with dropping one of these dipsticks into their VS30 / 907 Sprinter?

Thanks,
Dan,
If you have the V-6 (OM642) it will work. They didn't stop putting in dipstick tubes, just the dipstick itself.
I wonder if the dealership was confusing you with dipstick tubes, the transmission doesn't come with one and it needs to be checked with a shop tool and then re-sealed, but you can buy that shop tool and spare seals as well. I got mine on Amazon.
Your oil dipstick tube is kind of hidden behind the upside down "U" shaped hose on the front passenger side top of the engine, it's right behind that hose.
Old 10-31-2023, 01:08 PM   #9
'21 View 24J

Great news, thanks for the info Brian.

The dealer acknowledged that the engine oil quantity dipstick tube was still there, but advised me they didn't have a part to sell me.

I'll look into ordering a dipstick from an aftermarket supplier.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
Old 10-31-2023, 01:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Great news, thanks for the info Brian.

The dealer acknowledged that the engine oil quantity dipstick tube was still there, but advised me they didn't have a part to sell me.

I'll look into ordering a dipstick from an aftermarket supplier.

Thanks again.

Cheers,
A word to the wise, after checking your oil the dipstick fits in a certain way, on mine it's with the flat in line across the engine from right to left, not front to back. If you don't have it right it won't feel right going in and it can pop out an inch or so which will make a mess if driven that way, don't ask how I know.
It's difficult on mine because I have a Class A with a tiny hood and I have to reach in under the windshield/dash area. I actually have to remove my hood to do most things, even filter changes.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:09 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2021 View on a 2020 Chassis. Every 10K miles it asks for a quart of oil. It will tell you when it wants it. I think this interval is pretty consistent for V/N owners. I currently have 45K miles on it.
NavOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 01:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Oil Level

Like others I am not pleased with any digital fluid level sensing system...Period.

The tank levels I see for fresh water, gray water, black water,......and yes engine oil levels are vague and often misleading. The word "inaccurate" comes to mind.

Give me a dipstick for engine oil like our Onan Generator. If you are parked on a reasonably level surface, a dipstick is absolute and faultless.

cthiggy
cthiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 01:41 PM   #13
Winnebago Vita 24P

Seems to me you just pick up a dip stick on a 2018 chassis and be good. I dont believe the engine has changed much.

Tags
engine, view