Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-13-2020, 01:04 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Mattress topper or Froli System for Minnie 22R

We just did our Maiden Voyage in our new 2020 Minnie 22R. It has the bed in the back corner. As we suspected, it is very hard. We need to put on a topper and/or do a Froli System.
I would be interested to know if anyone else has used either and what they have found. Also, I have no experience with the Froli System--just a You Tube video. It appears to be on the expensive side.
If you have a topper, is it the Dream Foam, latex, or memory foam or other.
Any first hand experience will be appreciated!
ClaudiaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 01:25 PM   #2
Site Team

We've used a memory foam topper and that worked pretty well. But then we decided to have a custom mattress made to fit on one of our past RVs. That was much better because we could have it made the way we wanted AND try out a similar construction in the showroom.

Before mattress sales became a racket every major town had a mattress factory and many still do. That's who we used - Cantwell Mattress in San Antonio.

There are a couple of online custom mattress makers that specialize in RV mattresses. www.mattressinsider.com is the one I see the most often mentioned.

Our current Class A came with a no-name brand "air mattress", trying to be Sleep Number wannabe. We didn't like it and replaced it with an online mattress seller, not custom made or anything. It was shipped in a box. It's worked very well.

The Froli system looks great, I just don't know anyone that's tried it.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:21 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your answer. We will do some research and see what will work for us.
Old 05-13-2020, 02:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have used the Froli spring system on a boat. It is more to make a thin mattress feel like a thick one rather than make it soft. Yes it feels better because your hip isn't lying on the underlying plywood as would be the case with a thin mattress. It is supported by the springs.

They are expensive- about $250 for a queen size bed. I think a quality thicker mattress would be just as good for about the same money. Or a 1" memory foam topper.

But the Froli system does have one advantage over a thicker mattress or topper: It prevents condensation underneath, particularly useful for boats.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 10:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Literally just did this. Tempur-Pedic 4 inch memory foam topper on sale right now at Costco. Queen was like 119$. We didn't try sleeping the mattress without - but it was pretty hard. But, bed with topper is crazy comfortable. Better than our bed in the house. We slept like the dead. And, mattress with topper still flexible enough to fully open storage underneath bed.
Steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:18 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

My wife spent some money upgrading our bed with a custom made Tochta. You can build it anyway, any firmness, any size. Not cheap. But good things aren’t cheap and cheap things aren’t good. We love it. Never even bothered sleeping one night in the OEM mattress.

Why is sleep so important? The is the best guy who can tell you. Don’t sell yourself short. You’ll spend a third of your life in bed, and good sleep can save your life—literally.

https://youtu.be/c1yGw_hfEfk

https://www.tochta.com/?gclid=EAIaIQ...SAAEgLRCPD_BwE
Old 02-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We found a Solution

After much research and many YouTube videos, we decided on a 3 inch Latex foam topper for our Corner Bed. Since its a modified Queen (actually a Full in width and Q in length with the corner cut off!) we ordered a Queen and Cut off the width and the corner. I used a fitted sheet to cover it. It makes all the difference. We used it all last summer and fall. I also bought a Beddy which makes it much easier to make up!
Thanks for all the answers.