Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2021, 09:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Well we did it!!!

We bought a new View 24V yesterday. It is pretty loaded with a diesel generator, dual pane windows, Equalizer leveling, upgraded seating, recliners. The dealership is really busy so we don't pick it up till next week for our
PDI. It is being upgraded with battle born batteries.

We had a 24V a few years back and looking forward to a new one.

We are ready to go, this last year has been a busy one with moving 700 miles into a new house and having a metal shop built and a carport installed to park the MH in and many many yards of concrete poured. Also trying to get all 4 acres somewhat leveled so I can mow it without bouncing off the mower.

Also the pandemic really through a monkey wrench into also.

We are ready to travel again.

A question for all of you that have the flexible solar panels, how are you liking them and have you had any problems with them separating on you? The reason for asking is i would like a another panel but have heard some bad things about them.

Thanks in advance

Butch
butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:35 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Butch,
That all sounds very exciting! The 2021 24V View looks like a nice floor plan. I have never considered adding Solar Panels to the Eagle5, because you actually need sunshine for them to work; not this constant drizzle, drip, and rain. I think my wax-polished dome is now covered in moss!
Are you going to give your motorhome a name?
Eagle5
Old 02-06-2021, 06:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

By separating do you mean coming off the roof? No, mine are glued and screwed down. I added a 3rd flex panel shortly after buying ours, and the extra 5A in good sun helps the overall off grid power situation. We only have 200A of Relion lithium (replaced the NAPA factory batteries), but that seems to be all we need, for now.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 07:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I was talking about the panel itself separating, like the cells from the backing or the covering coming off the cells.

I'm looking at installing at least one more panel. What brand and how many watts did you add? What kind of glue did you use to fasten it down with?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2021, 08:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I added a 3rd Sun Power/Zamp 100W flex panel, installed by dealer, so it's probably Winnebago recommended sealant/glue. Plus 6, heavily loaded with sealant, screws like the original 2X100W panels from the factory.
I added the Relions October 2019, and with the border still closed to tourism, it's all sitting in the driveway waiting for either the border to open, or June-July for the weather to warm up, and the snow and road salt to be gone.
I expect the latter will happen first.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:02 AM   #6
Living The Dream

I recently upgraded our solar system on our 2018 24D. After a fair amount of research and wrangling, installed four HQST 100W Monocrystalline Solar Panels (Amazon purchase). So now 400w. Left the two original flexible panels in place because of all the issues I discovered regarding removal ... they just aren’t hooked up.

Kept the existing Zamp controller and roof receptacle. Pretty simple installation, wasn’t going after the Nobel Electrical Engineering prize! Here’s a pic taken when nearly done:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	247F85A5-4C40-475C-98AE-F056BDC0EF01.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	177174  
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:07 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
I recently upgraded our solar system on our 2018 24D. After a fair amount of research and wrangling, installed four HQST 100W Monocrystalline Solar Panels (Amazon purchase). So now 400w. Left the two original flexible panels in place because of all the issues I discovered regarding removal ... they just aren’t hooked up.

Kept the existing Zamp controller and roof receptacle. Pretty simple installation, wasn’t going after the Nobel Electrical Engineering prize! Here’s a pic taken when nearly done:
Looks good. I always said if I ever replace mine, I'll do the same thing, leave the original panels in place, and place the new ones over top. As long as I can reach the original panel screw heads with a caulking gun.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Vita 24P

Quote:

nice job, great locations for least amount of shadows.
Old 02-07-2021, 08:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:

Nice job and I like the idea of using standard panels. Did you screw them down into the roof? If so does the screw get a good bite to hold the panel in place? I like the reports I have seen on the HQST panels.

TThanks
Old 02-07-2021, 10:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I bought my first set of flexible panels almost 20 years ago and the second set a few years back.

The first set worked as expected initially, but year by year they lost output. At the end of five years they were producing about half of new. This was a well known brand of flexible panels at the time who are no longer in business now AFAIK.

The second set as delivered produced about 2/3 of spec output. Not surprising as these were rated at 175 watts and they weren't that big. Clearly the seller was lying about their output spec. I can't say that this is a generic situation because this was a no name seller on Amazon. I haven't checked their output lately. They may still be at 2/3 spec for all I know.

But you don't have these problems with rigid panels.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by butch50 View Post
A question for all of you that have the flexible solar panels, how are you liking them and have you had any problems with them separating on you? The reason for asking is i would like a another panel but have heard some bad things about them.
We have a 2018 Winnebago Fuse that came with 2 SunPower 100 watt flexible solar panels. Since we do a lot of dry camping we added a 3rd SunPower 100 watt panel almost immediately after we got our coach and another 100 watt panel (this one a rigid Renogy panel) about 2 months ago.

Our SunPower panels have been excellent with absolutely no problems. They are very efficient and I have actually seen 19.9 Amps being generated during the late Spring here in Arizona with 3 panels (based on what is displayed on the Zamp solar controller), which exceeds the specs for the panels. During the late Spring and early Fall the solar is more than enough to fully charge our 2 Battle Born batteries provided we camp in the sun.

We added the 4th panel because my wife likes to park in the shade and if we do that our 3 panels do not generate enough power to fully recharge our batteries. The compressor fridge is a bit of a power hog, especially when it is warm, and we need all of the solar we can get if we stay in the shade. Still, I am very happy with the SunPower flexible panels and have not seen the stuff in some of the dire warnings that people posted.

Keep in mind that the flexible panels are only warranted for 5 years, not the 10 years for most of the rigid panels, but they have done very well for us for the 2 years, 4 months or so that we have had our Fuse.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 05:14 PM   #12
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Thanks in advance

Butch
I have a 2019 year model 24V. On the flex solar panels. At first, I thought this was better than the stand-off style; more aerodynamic and easier to clean the roof no leaves to keep getting trapped beneath the panel.
Then I had my first Sunpower panel failure. It was under warranty, however, Sunpower wants me to drive the MH to an authorized service center. This was too far for me so I bit the bullet and bought an exact replacement panel.
Removing the old panel wasn't too bad. But, once it was removed, I was shocked to see the condition of the fiberglass roof under the panel. Lots of hairline cracks everywhere the panel covered the fiberglass roof.
It seems to be so much heat is trapped between the solar panel and the fiberglass roof, that the fiberglass gets "cooked" and the resin cracks.

I am still working with Winnebago on the roof claim, not much action coming from them. If I drive it to the factory in Iowa, they would be happy to look into it and help me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200923_180547604_HDR.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	177256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200923_172343571.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	177257  

Old 02-10-2021, 07:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg View Post
I have a 2019 year model 24V. On the flex solar panels. At first, I thought this was better than the stand-off style; more aerodynamic and easier to clean the roof no leaves to keep getting trapped beneath the panel.
Then I had my first Sunpower panel failure. It was under warranty, however, Sunpower wants me to drive the MH to an authorized service center. This was too far for me so I bit the bullet and bought an exact replacement panel.
Removing the old panel wasn't too bad. But, once it was removed, I was shocked to see the condition of the fiberglass roof under the panel. Lots of hairline cracks everywhere the panel covered the fiberglass roof.
It seems to be so much heat is trapped between the solar panel and the fiberglass roof, that the fiberglass gets "cooked" and the resin cracks.

I am still working with Winnebago on the roof claim, not much action coming from them. If I drive it to the factory in Iowa, they would be happy to look into it and help me.
That's not good to hear, almost makes me want to take them off and add rigid ones now. I sure don't want to hurt the roof.

I have a question for you. Is your unit outside when you not using it? I have a carport for it so well only be in the sun when we are using it.

We pick ours's up tomorrow, looking forward to getting it home and ready to go.

I would like to thank everyone for your response, it all helps as this is my first unit with solar
Old 02-10-2021, 07:55 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2019 View 24V with the flex solar panels. No problems after 16 months. We don’t boondock so the only thing I use the solar panels for is to keep the batteries charged up when the RV is in storage. It is stored outside, no cover. I installed a Trik-L-Start to keep the chassis battery charged. I leave the batteries on when in storage. So far everything is working great. The solar panels are doing what I need. Engine starts up immediately even after sitting in winter for a couple of months. I always store it with a full fuel tank and a shot of Howes Diesel Treat. I know what Mercedes says about fuel additives. I ignore that and listen to my trucker friends.
RetiredUSCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:04 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Warren & Debbie, we also have an 18D. Just wondering what was wrong with your OEM solar panels. Ours are still working fine....
Old 02-11-2021, 04:37 AM   #16
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
That's not good to hear, almost makes me want to take them off and add rigid ones now. I sure don't want to hurt the roof.

I have a question for you. Is your unit outside when you not using it? I have a carport for it so well only be in the sun when we are using it.
Yes, mine is stored outside, and yes in mostly full sun. I would like to cover it and even considered just an RV cover but I didn't have the greatest experience with covers in the past on my former MH.

Point is, the RV is built for outdoors for a variety of climates; I would never expected the fiberglass roof to cook like this.

Bobby
Old 02-11-2021, 06:31 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkg View Post

I will say that I have not checked under the panels to see if there is any issue. And my plans were that if and when I need to replace the panels I would just disconnect them and leave them on the roof, adding rigid panels on top of them rather than trying to remove them.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:04 AM   #18
RVCalypso

I guess I am the odd man out in this conversation. We use 360W of portable solar panels which allow us to park the rig in the shade, place the panels in the sun and reposition them throughout the day for maximum output. We have a 200W Renogy solar suitcase and a 160W flex panel.
gurroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:46 AM   #19
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I will say that I have not checked under the panels to see if there is any issue. And my plans were that if and when I need to replace the panels I would just disconnect them and leave them on the roof, adding rigid panels on top of them rather than trying to remove them.
Knowing what I found under the factory installed flex panels, I would not leave/abandone non-functional panels. I would completely remove and seal the penetrations.
Should Winnebago not come through on the roof issue on my unit I may go to a fiberglass body shop for options or Armor coat the entire roof.

Bobby
bkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:27 PM   #20
New To Winnebago

Quote:
We bought a new View 24V yesterday. It is pretty loaded with a diesel generator, dual pane windows, Equalizer leveling, upgraded seating, recliners. The dealership is really busy so we don't pick it up till next week for our
PDI. It is being upgraded with battle born batteries.

We had a 24V a few years back and looking forward to a new one.

We are ready to go, this last year has been a busy one with moving 700 miles into a new house and having a metal shop built and a carport installed to park the MH in and many many yards of concrete poured. Also trying to get all 4 acres somewhat leveled so I can mow it without bouncing off the mower.

Also the pandemic really through a monkey wrench into also.

We are ready to travel again.

Thanks in advance

Butch
Hi Butch, Congratulations on your new rig. We have one on order with the same specs as yours. Would you happen to know what the OCCC is for your View? We are moving from an Airstream and really excited about our new purchase.

Thanks,

MilestoRV
MilestoRV is offline   Reply With Quote