Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-24-2021, 02:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Smile leveling a Navion 24J

Hi All, we are new to RVing and recently purchased a 2016 Navion 24J and went out for our first trip. The operator manual suggests for the Norcold fridge to function properly the coach needs to be level within a 1/2 bubble.
I purchased some leveling blocks and got the job done but was wondering if the leveling jacks i've read about are available for this unit. i'm hoping something like these jacks might help with side to side rocking as well.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance
Brent parke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

HWH should be able to add leveling jacks to a 2016 Navion. They added the jacks for our 2021 View after we picked it up from Lichtsinn.

The leveling jacks will help reduce movement - but we've found there is still a little give in the jacks.

Our 2021 came with two stabilizing jacks in the rear (standard from the factory), to help reduce the side-to-side sway while parked. But we had those removed after the jacks were installed - since the jacks provide about the same function, and we regained a little more weight for cargo.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Aftermarket jacks are an item which we find has to be looked at on an RV to RV basis as there problems involved are details which differ so much.
They are something we now "require" on any RV we swap into as we do not want to go without now that we have had them.

Looking at how they will change the coach movement is simple to look at where the motion comes in. When on stabilizer jacks most leave a good portion of the RV weight on the wheels supporting the rv on springs and the tires. Those springs and tires, still swing and sway as weight shifts.

But if you are on leveling jacks, attached to the frame of the RV, the weight is often almost all on the jacks, not the springs and tires. Movement is limited to pretty much only the flexing of the jacks and frame, not much compared to normal suspension!

But what does it take to add jacks? Depends on the design being for the jacks on small points like clearance. Does the unit have ground clearance enough to retract a jack to clear the ground without having to go up into the Rv body above?

Aftermarket can be done and we did it on a Class C Thor but it took some thinking and was not fully agreeable once done. Camping World made great agreements but then never passed that plan along to the techs who installed the jacks.
With the smaller units with lower ground clearance and lower due to smaller tires, ground clearance becomes a critical point.

Check dealers for your specific RV!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

When we were considering various RVs last year, we purchased our View because it was short enough to park in most places. We don't have and don't plan to have tow a vehicle, and intend to drive our RV everywhere. [Except in urban areas like LA, where that really doesn't work.]

Because we usually use our View to go places during the day, the amount of time required to set up and tear down is important.

With the jacks, we're able to set up in 3-5 minutes: level with jacks, connect to shore power, let out the slide - and reverse when leaving.

When using the jacks, it is important to park with the front end lower than the rear (where the brakes are located) and avoid having the rear wheels off the ground, if at all possible.
Old 05-25-2021, 09:58 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy Class"C" Motorhome- Navion/View

This forum is exactly what newbies like us need!Thank you all who responded with their experience regarding levelling a Navion. The expense was anticipated
but i had forgotten about the added weight which is clearly a consideration.
I'll do my due dilligence and investigate local options/costs
.Thanks again everyone
Brent parke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 03:51 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
When we were considering various RVs last year, we purchased our View because it was short enough to park in most places. We don't have and don't plan to have tow a vehicle, and intend to drive our RV everywhere. [Except in urban areas like LA, where that really doesn't work.]

Because we usually use our View to go places during the day, the amount of time required to set up and tear down is important.

With the jacks, we're able to set up in 3-5 minutes: level with jacks, connect to shore power, let out the slide - and reverse when leaving.

When using the jacks, it is important to park with the front end lower than the rear (where the brakes are located) and avoid having the rear wheels off the ground, if at all possible.
This makes a very good point on how we need to adapt our thinking on some of the small points, so that we get the best out of what we have!

Choosing campsites is almost always a game where we can get better use if we are allowed to pick and choose. One reason we do not like commercial campgrounds/private operators, is that the choice of site is down by them to get the most value out of the sites available but done from their view.
So when we pull in with our 30 foot, there may be a 45 foot site open but they want to save it for any potential sale coming in later needing the longer space. Good for those needing the longer, if they in fact, do come by, but in the meantime the best site may set empty all night while you are parked in the cheap seats that have the radical slope to them!

So we tend to compromise if it gets both of us what we want! I'll take the cheap seat but you have to let me park the way fits me best, even if that means I have to drive up the street backwards to get headed in so I can level better!

I do not agree to work with my rear wheels off the ground just so I'm lined up the way the owner thinks looks best! I carry extra hoses to reach if the post/plumbing is on the wrong side or I do without the water/sewer for a simple overnight, if it fits me better.

Life is not meant to be about taking advantage of others but it also has to involve not letting them take advantage of us!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 07:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Because we use our View to drive around, we usually hook up only shore power. If we do need to pull with the pedestal on the passenger side, the View's power cable is long enough to provide a reasonable space to reach the pedestal.

But, if necessary, we always bring a 25' 30A extension cable.

And when we do hook up for fresh water, we do so only for the 10-15 minutes required to refill the tank, and then disconnect. Our fresh water hose is also long enough to reach even if we are pulled in on the opposite side.

If we did need to dump the tanks, since we don't need to be level or have the slideout, we have more flexibility to park as close as needed to get the sewer hose and black tank flush lines to reach.

While we carry an extension for the sewer line, I'm trying to avoid using that - and keep to the single sewer hose.

Our biggest issue so far with RV site spaces wasn't the leveling, which we can usually work out by adjusting our position or orientation in the space - it was a tight space that had a branch hanging over the passenger side - and we didn't notice it was there until it bumped into the upper rear corner of the coach. Fortunately I was moving very slowly and stopped as soon as I felt it - and all we have is a few scratches. But will be more careful from now on to inspect not just the ground but also the clearance above...
Old 05-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have a 17 view. Spent the first year with Lego blocks, then had big foot levelers put in at quadra manufacturing. We have never looked back or regretted it. Makes set up after a long day's drive a no Brainer. I do make sure that the front end is lower when parking. That keeps the rear wheels on the ground as it levels the rig.
notbusdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Here is a post that I recently made to the Thor forum that discusses how we use leveling ramps on our Thor Axis 24.1. Also in contrary to other posts above, it is difficult to park with the front lower than the rear. Most campsites slope from front to back. To get the front lower you have to drive in forward and your entry will be on the back side.

"Here is an update on the feasibility of manually leveling our Axis 24.1 with plastic ramps:

We have now camped in maybe 8-10 different places and have always been successful leveling with 1,2 or 3 plastic ramps. We bought this pair of heavy duty truck maintenance ramps that is our workhorse- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are rated at 10,000 lbs each which is 2-1/2 times the weight of our heaviest corner and have stood up well with use. I store them in the long outside compartment on the passenger side of our Axis. Not all Axis models have the storage capacity of our 24.1 but it has sure worked for us.

When I get to a campsite I eyeball the terrane and try to park the coach in the most level orientation. Then I get out my iPad and check the level using the bubble level app in two planes- fore and aft and side to side. Then I guess how much lift I will need in each direction. Sometimes I just need one corner, more often both tires on the aft end, and sometimes three corners. I have a pair of Oxgard stepped leveling ramps that I use if I need a third, but always only on the fronts for load considerations- the fronts weigh 2,500 lbs per corner and the backs weigh 3,500-4,000 lbs each.

3/4 of the time I get it within less than a degree first shot. Sometimes it takes adjusting one corner in or out to lift more or less to get it right. I always lift the duallies on the outer wheel with the heavy truck ramps and never had a problem. After leveling I put chocks in the downhill direction.

The truck ramps will lift about 6-1/2" inches to the platform at the top, but I don't always use the full lift. The Oxnard ramps lift 4-5". I have never not had enough lift, but in one case it was close and still had another degree to go. I probably would have been able to make it by jockeying my parking spot a bit.

I have always been able to level within a degree in both directions which meets Dometic's specs for absorption fridges and I can't feel any slope while sleeping.

So far so good."

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 06:17 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I would suggest you join the Navion/View group on Facebook. It's only for Navion/View owners and the have tons of advise in all areas. later.
wshardlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

We've only had our View for about a year (over 20K miles), and maybe we've been lucky, but we haven't had any major problems getting our HWH levelers to work - and keep the rear wheels on the ground.

We did encounter one site in a state park when we had to maneuver around in the spot until we could find a place where we could get the levelers to bring the coach level and keep the rear wheels down, though the system wouldn't level automatically and I had to manually adjust the jacks to get to level.

Same thing in our driveway, the slope is a little more than the system can automatically level - but manually I can get the coach level so we don't have any concerns operating the slide.

Otherwise, really haven't encountered issues where we couldn't level or where we had to turn around in order to keep the rear wheels down.

However, if it does look like one side may not be completely down, I'll use wheel chocks to ensure the coach doesn't move on that side.
Old 05-30-2021, 10:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Hydraulic leveling jacks are expensive but I won't be without them.
68silverlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 05:30 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

You should also check out the View/Navion Motorhome Facebook site. It is just about our type rigs. I found it extremely useful and was actually able to get real-time help with a breakdown issue!
Old 05-31-2021, 07:34 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Using jacks under slide?

I’m not hearing much talk of using jacks under the slide, as additional stabilizers. We bought some that we haven’t used yet. Any advice?
KentSuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:13 AM   #15

I have a 2020 View 24D. I looked at adding jacks but was concerned about the added weight. We are already pushing the max cargo weight. I found an alternative solution that works well for us. It's a system called LevelMatePro (https://logicbluetech.com/levelmatepro/) which consists of a device that you mount in your coach (or towable) and a smart phone app. LevelMatePro takes the guess work out of manually leveling the coach. Installation is simple. I bought the "+" version because it could be connected to external power versus battery powered. The app connects to the device via Bluetooth and displays exactly how many inches each tire needs to be raised to level the coach. Then I simply place leveling blocks as required to level the coach and drive up on them. Works perfect every time. I don't have to recheck, drive off the blocks, adjust, and try again. Not as convenient as built-in jacks but makes manually leveling very easy.
BadMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:29 AM   #16
Living The Dream

+1 for the LevelMatePRO … easy to use, plus you can jigger your rig around within the site as you watch the readings of the LevelMatePRO and find the sweet spot (if there is one). I can often find a spot that is close enough to call level. No blocking needed at all.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 08:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post
+1 for the LevelMatePRO … easy to use, plus you can jigger your rig around within the site as you watch the readings of the LevelMatePRO and find the sweet spot (if there is one). I can often find a spot that is close enough to call level. No blocking needed at all.
Good point... I had forgot about that advantage. Often it is difficult to eyeball the ground to find a level spot. With the LevelMatePro there is no guess work.
BadMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 09:07 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentSuz View Post
I’m not hearing much talk of using jacks under the slide, as additional stabilizers. We bought some that we haven’t used yet. Any advice?
We've seen some RV's with additional jacks underneath their slideouts, though we suspect these are RV's parked long term, with the slides out for months, and the owners decided not to take any chances with the slideouts sagging after staying out so long.

For our 24D, when we have our slide out, we usually pull it in at least once each day when we drive our 24D somewhere (no toad). So the slide is usually out for more than 24 hours only when we have our RV at home before/after trips while we're preparing or cleaning the coach.

Of the View models, the 24D has the largest slide - which Winnebago extended further out with the 2020 models - if any floor plan would have issue with a sagging slideout - it would be a 24D.

So far, we haven't seen any need for additional jacks to support the slideout.

If we are parked on a soft surface, with the potential for some settling, I will check our HWH leveling system to verify the RV is still level after being parked on the jacks, with the slideout extended for several hours. And haven't found that to be a problem - so don't believe additional jacks are needed to stabilize the slideout.

Tags
leveling