Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Itasca Navion or Cabria

I have a Winnebago Vista 26he (bottom of the line). It is great while we are stopped or going less than 40 mph but horrible on the interstate. I think it is too long and too high for the short wheel base.
We are considering the Itasca Navion or the Cambria 30J. I like both but I think the Cambria might be a little too big to drive. We are first time RVers. My husband likes driving the class C better than the class A also class c has air bags for safety. We tried both of course the Navion was easier with the Mercedes Diesel but it is smaller. I have heard that the class C is noisy. Any opinions on either one ? and what have people paid for them.
We are not full timers just two adults and two small dogs but have a house in NJ and AZ now so we did drive once.
We could keep what we have and put some stabilizers in. Only 5500 miles on but it does not feel safe to drive
thanks for any opinions
aznancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

AZNancy:

This is just my two cents for what's its worth. DW and I started with a new 30 foot Forest River Sunseeker Class C. We both thought it would be perfect. We took it from KCMO to Rapid City to go to Mt Rushmore. Lot's of engine noise and the floor plan left a lot to be desired. This was our fault for buying impulsively. I would imagine that the Cambria would be very similar in handling characteristics as the Sunseeker. From the limited experience we had with it, it was a white knuckle handful in the wind. We quickly jumped back into the deep end of the pool and got a truck and fifth wheel. Better handling in winds, more spacious floor plan for comfort. Then we decided to jump into the deeper end of the pool and got a gasser Class A only to then a year later jump into a Class A DP. (We aren't right in the head!)

I would imagine that your Class A offers decent interior living space. It doesn't sound like it's very old either, so IMHO I'd make the rig more driveable and keep that one.
Lanny1763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We had a Vista 26, and it wasn't bad after we spent some money on handling (one fix is free!) and a five star tune for the noise. It actually had some room to get around and decent storage. Don't jump from the frying pan into the fire!
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hello, we have traveled in our Itasca Navion iq for two years. Two weeks in Yellowstone twice, numerous 5-7 day trips, each year. The trade off for inside noise is the ease of driving, camp anywhere, park just about anywhere, etc. Two weeks is about the most time before the overcrowded feeling, small spaces etc. We are hardly ever in it due to hiking and photographing wildlife, so it feels perfect for that lifestyle. We get 16-17 mpg so I feel good about that environmentally. No regrets.

But now my daughter has a baby and we will be staying in (in a big city) a lot more often. This is when it becomes too small, when you spend a lot of time inside. Looking for a rig 5 ft. Larger is difficult either a gas 30 footer or a 34 ft. Diesel. Spending at the next level is only worth it if we can have more comforts inside, quieter rides, and better braking systems for mountains.

There are so many trade offs, only you can decide your lifestyle in the RV. That makes for some tough decisions. Sorry if I am not much help, but I keep dreaming of a 28 ft. Itasca diesel! If only, if only...... BTW I love driving the navion. So easy!
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We have a Cambria 27K. Before it we had an Aspect 26A. We have driven it all over the Midwest and have been/are very happy with it. The V10 has plenty of power and the E450 chassis is more than capable. Some class C manufacturers overload their models, some don't. I have installed heavy duty sway bars and RV shocks on both of our RVs. Those changes, in conjunction with properly loading the RV and properly inflated tires and air bags make driving them easy. There is no white knuckling. We also tow a Jeep and I usually carry half a tank of water.
tfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We had a 2008 Cambria 29H. Was a little difficult in windy weather but driveable. I had it aligned by a truck alignment shop and reduced the tire pressure in line with the actual weight the tires were carrying. Once you get these done - after you have loaded it with all you want you carry-, you will find it handles well. Most people getting into to RV'ing - ourselves included - are inclined underestimate the amount of space to travel and live comfortably.
The Navion is a fine coach but is significantly smaller than the Cambria 30J but has the diesel. The Ford engine is extremely reliable. Either coach will serve you well depending on your needs.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

For what it is worth

We have a 2013 Cambria 27K. This summer we traveled from southern Ontario to North British Columbia (in some cases on the poorest excuse for roads) towing a Smart Car. The return trip was about 9500 km - roughly 5800 miles over about 6 weeks. With proper tire inflation and proper air bag inflation, the RV handled well. There were some testy times through the prairies with gusty cross winds. We have migrated from a class B Pleasureway ( did an even longer western trip), to a Jayco Melbourne 24E (hate that corner bed) to the Cambria. I would be a liar if I didn't admit to Class A envy but frankly this RV plus toad is a fairly easy to drive (45 feet overall) combination that may serve us well in the long term. I don't know if I would want to spend the winter in it down south, but for distance traveling I am pretty happy.
scomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:34 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I traded in my 2007 Itasca Cambria (26 FT Class C) for a new 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE (sister to the Vista 26HE). I agree the handling of the Sunstar on the interstate is tough. I just had Firestone suspension airbags installed in the rear. The ride was improved and a little more comfortable, so I decided to have front air bags installed. I pick up the motorhome on Monday. I have a trip planned in mid-october and will let you know if there is a significant ride difference. I got both the front and rear airbags online for just over $600.

Even with the rougher ride (which hopefully I have improved with the airbags), I personally would not go back to my Cambria. The Sunstar offers so many more features with its interior design and outside storage space.

Good luck!
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #9
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Her is my two cents.
Had a Itasca Cambria 30J 2012 drove it to Southern Texas from Kansas City and to Pennsylvania and did not have any problems. Wife and two small dogs were in it for 3 weeks no problems. It was equip with Winnebago installed air suspension on the rear in addition to the leaf springs. The two slides in the main living area made it very nice. Noise in any of the V10 front engine MH can be a problem if it gets down to 3rd gear. But that is not usual. most of the time it was in 4 and 5 gear and we could talk and hear the radio just fine. I cruse at about 62 mph, we usually cover 300 to 400 miles a day with frequent stops. I have covered 560 miles in one day. That is not normal for us.
There is nothing as good as a diesel pusher. But you have to pay for that comfort. It comes down to how many miles a year are you going to put on it. Pat and I running about 7000 miles a year. We have had a number of coaches to include a 2006 Meridian DP. It was great. Comfort ride power noise level was all a lot better. But the MSRP for a new Meridian is 260,000 and a Cambria is 110,000. You can just put more into the design for the extra 150,000.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

New Owner of 2013 Navion IQ 24G

Went out shopping for a fifth wheel or a class A. Stopped at Camping World in Troutdale, Oregon. When we noticed the Navion on the Mercedes Diesel Sprinter chassis we changed our minds about a Class C. With only 4,000 miles, full body paint, rear queen bed slide ( very easy to set up), side sofa slide, and Alcoa wheels we we're sold. Now six weeks later and 1,500 miles my wife and I think it is the perfect size for two. Extremely easy to drive, quiet for a class C, and the Turbo Diesel is very powerful and averaging 17.2 mpg. Impressed with Itasca Quality and highly recommended.
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca