Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

About to pull the trigger....2015 Aspect 30J

I sold my 08 Allegro Bay 38TGB and am in the market for a smaller coach. My wife and I bought a second stick house in Florida and this will be for commuting between Illinois and Florida and long trips.

The Winnebago Aspect looks like the right coach for us. We had pretty much settled on a View but have gotten cold feet because of the MB chassis issues with biodiesel and the lack of backbone to tow my Ford Explorer.

I still have a few worries. The 30 amp electric system with 1 15,000 BTU heat pump seems shy to me. But, I'm not hearing complaints.

I can't decide about the front skylight. It seems to look messy with the screens even on new lots and the heat gain worries me.

I don't like the idea of the sofa facing the side of the coach and the TV being in the front. We are going to order the twin reclining sofa.

I like the deluxe graphics on the beige fiberglass without the full body paint upgrade. I can't see the difference in look vs. the difference in money.

There is a forum devoted to these B+ coaches but there is no traffic. Any advice you guys have would be appreciated.

Dick and Pam Hodges
Southern Illinois and TGO at Titusville, FL
crh97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Dick & Pam;

I am sorry I can't help with your question. I do want to welcome you to iRV2 and we are glad you joined us. If you have not already done so I would like to encourage you to go up to the New Member Check In and introduce yourselves so more of our members get to know you. Brows the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Purchased a 2014 Aspect 30 J in August! Have taken 5 short trips so far. It is now in for warranty work. Best of luck!!
Woodview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I just sold my Itasca Cambria 30J. Thought it was a great coach. It was a 2012. I pulled a Jeep Wrangler 2 door. The tow-hall was very helpful. I usually run at about 60 to 65 mph. I averaged about 7.5 to 8 MPG. Many others driving the same coach get better mileage. Not sure why I can't. It had the hydraulic auto levelers. I really liked the low profile. Did not have to worry as much with low branches and stuff.
The basement storage was limited in the 2012. 2015 looks better. I think that you will enjoy it. Good luck and let us all know how the first trip goes.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Woodview, just curious what your warranty issues are?
Old 11-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We have a 2013 Leisure travel van Unity with a MB chassis left Canada last Thursday got into the Bio Diesel in the US had the engine light come on in Minneapolis but the DEF light came on about 10 miles before that. Filled Def tank kept travelling with engine light on approx 200 miles. The next morning when I started the engine the Engine light went out thought all was fine. Travelled another 250 miles I decided I should top up the Def tank but over filled it but just put the cap back on. Drove about 50 miles the engine light came on again. Drove another 200 miles with the engine light on, when I looked at the Def cap it was covered with the white dried crystallized fluid that I had left there when over filling the Def tank before ( MB has a rubber overflow shroud just under cap that holds the Def if you over fill) so I guess what happened it dried with the heat of the engine and it crystallized. I dumped some water on the cap and shroud and cleaned it. The engine light went out after I drove about 5 miles turning ignition off then restarting. And has been fine for the last 1000 miles . So I think if you keep your Def filled and Def cap and shroud clean I don't really think the Bio Diesel is a problem....Just my opinion Time will tell???
Austin Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

The other issue with the View is that I've got a Ford Explorer rigged to tow and it's just too heavy for the View. Add that to the fact that the MB arguably has some issues with fuel and additives and I decided to go the ford route. I am a retired furniture dealer and have logged over 1,000,000 miles on E350s with no engine tranny issues. We always traded vans at 100,000 miles.

I hope to put 50,000 on this before I get the itch to trade.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Nothing really serious- paint chips, torn wallpaper, rubber molding strips torn around slides and coach door. Most serious is the driver side slide is leaving a mark and indentation on the floor. It drives great though!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We are on our second Aspect products. First was a 2006. Winnebago Aspect 26A. Current RV is a 2014 Itasca Cambria 27K.

Love it. Drives like a big van, maneuverable, higher quality interior build than other similar coaches we looked at, and at least for us, a perfect layout.

We love the amount of rear storage space although I did build shelves to make it more usable. I installed a RV central vacuum in it, made a laundry chute into the trunk, and extended the bed platform to accommodate a true queen mattress, and installed a good memory foam mattress.

I have also upgraded to Koni RV adjustable shocks and heavy duty sway bars. It now tracks straight and true in even windy days or when around semi trucks.

We tow a Jeep Wrangler behind it too. Gets around 8 mpg.

I think for the money and in it's class, the Aspect/Cambria line is the one to beat.
tfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 07:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Have a 2011 28B. Nice floorplan, drives well towing a Honda CRV and getting between 8 and 9.5mpgs. Drive pretty much at 60mph on the head. Plenty of power.

Bought used and so far besides maintenance basics it seems pretty well built. We also were enamored with the MB class c's until digging deeper. The Ford is powerful, tows a bunch more, and has a much higher cargo carying capacity. We are loaded up for 4 months and still have 900 lbs of capacity left. An oil change before we left was $35 at our local Ford dealer. The Ford dealer network is so much more extensive and the fact that it is a simple vehicle mechanically led me down this route. You can buy alot of gasoline for the MB price premium.
2wiresdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:51 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

My neighbor in Florida has a 2014 30J. He has the EXACT same issue with the indent in the floor. LaMesa in Sanford has worked on it 2 or 3 times and it's not helping. His warranty is out. From what I've read, the Lippert slide mechanisms are an issue. There's always something......

I am going to the show in Tampa in January. I want to look and see that there's not something new but I've made up my mind that the 30J is what I want.

Are the paint chips on full body paint? I had some of that on my last coach. I think I'll get the new beige fiberglass without the full body paint. My coach stays garaged all the time it isn't in use. I've got to believe the full body paint won't add near as much to the value as it will the price. I swear I can't tell the difference on the lot.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

I have an older Aspect we just bought a 2005 26A and we love it. Perfect for us.
Caitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Did they ever resolve the lip pert slide issue in the 30J? Camping World is looking at the indentation issue now. It seems to come back to normal after awhile but I don't want it to get worse! Any other issues with the 30 J that anyone has experienced?
Old 11-15-2014, 05:25 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Paint chips or nicks are on full body paint but hopefully they will be able to take care of it??? I really like the unit though!
Old 11-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

At last account, LaMesa in Sanford had tried twice to correct his problem. His slide is also "popping" when it comes in and out and there was evidently evidence of some metal shavings where there had been some gear slippage, or something. I rode over to Sanford with him to pick up the coach.

He loves it. He's put about 9000 miles on it and has had very few issues. He had one window fog which WBG replaced. This slide issue is probably pretty common but it's been worked on a good bit and no better. They actually replaced a portion of the vinyl floor once.

I think there are View/Navion issues with these slides too.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

The tech at Camping World said that the sofa was not sitting correctly on the slide causing the indentation- who knows but I thought I would share! We will see......
Old 11-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

They "shimmed" something. Either the slide or the sofa and it didn't help his. I'm sure his slide is out of allignment. Time will tell