Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2022, 06:45 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Freestyle Evolution Carefree Awning Failure

During our last long road trip, our awning started beeping about every 30 seconds one morning in our 2021 View 24D.

We thought this was due to low batteries, so we picked up some replacements.

When I went to replace the batteries, the awning would only extend about 12" and stop. Pressing the retract button didn't do anything - that awning could only be retracted by removing the cover on the back end of the awning and manually closing the awning.

After replacing the batteries, and per instructions provided by Carefree, the motion sensor was un-paired and re-paired.

At that point, the awning would then only extend about 6" (barely enough space to access the motion sensor) - and still not retract.

We had a local mobile RV technician come out to work on the awning.

They tried connecting a 12V battery to the awning motor (as per Carefree's instructions), and that didn't get the awning to extend.

They adjusted the IN and OUT adjustment screws, and were able to get the awning to extend 12" and retract. But continuing to adjust the OUT screw didn't extend the awning any further.

There is a limit switch mounted on the track for the awning. This was tested to verify it stopped the awning from extending while the motor was running - and we verified it was not the reason why the awning wouldn't go out more than 12".

We also tested the motion sensor and verified that it would retract the awning automatically when triggered.

BUT when this happened the awning would retract all of the way, stop for a brief time, and then extend the awning slightly and retract again - and keep repeating this until we hit the manual extend/retract switch.

The mobile tech contacted Carefree about this problem, and Carefee is recommending replacing the tubular awning motor.

Unfortunately, they are out-of-stock, so we don't know (if or) when we'll be able to get the motor replaced.

Though, it's not clear that will fix the problem...

Has anyone else had this issue with their Carefree awning?

If so, has it been fixed - and what was done to fix it?
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:21 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
During our last long road trip, our awning started beeping about every 30 seconds one morning in our 2021 View 24D.

We thought this was due to low batteries, so we picked up some replacements.

When I went to replace the batteries, the awning would only extend about 12" and stop. Pressing the retract button didn't do anything - that awning could only be retracted by removing the cover on the back end of the awning and manually closing the awning.

After replacing the batteries, and per instructions provided by Carefree, the motion sensor was un-paired and re-paired.

At that point, the awning would then only extend about 6" (barely enough space to access the motion sensor) - and still not retract.

We had a local mobile RV technician come out to work on the awning.

They tried connecting a 12V battery to the awning motor (as per Carefree's instructions), and that didn't get the awning to extend.

They adjusted the IN and OUT adjustment screws, and were able to get the awning to extend 12" and retract. But continuing to adjust the OUT screw didn't extend the awning any further.

There is a limit switch mounted on the track for the awning. This was tested to verify it stopped the awning from extending while the motor was running - and we verified it was not the reason why the awning wouldn't go out more than 12".

We also tested the motion sensor and verified that it would retract the awning automatically when triggered.

BUT when this happened the awning would retract all of the way, stop for a brief time, and then extend the awning slightly and retract again - and keep repeating this until we hit the manual extend/retract switch.

The mobile tech contacted Carefree about this problem, and Carefee is recommending replacing the tubular awning motor.

Unfortunately, they are out-of-stock, so we don't know (if or) when we'll be able to get the motor replaced.

Though, it's not clear that will fix the problem...

Has anyone else had this issue with their Carefree awning?

If so, has it been fixed - and what was done to fix it?
I had that happen on my first beeping/battery change. I vaguely remember fixing it by accident. I used the Bluetooth connection on my phone specifically and assisted the awning out with my hand. I never adjusted the limit controls. Eventually my awning light quit working in the same time period (manual switch on but light could not be turned on/off from bluetooth). I ended up ordering a new Bluetooth module from carefree (they sent for free because the light could not be controlled with bluetooth). This may not be related to your problem. Do your functions from your phone app act the same way?
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 06:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Yes - phone extend/retract work the same as the switches.

The light also works from both switches and the phone.

So the bluetooth module appears to be communicating.

It's possible the bluetooth controller is limiting the amount the awning extends. Though Carefree is recommending only replacing the motor.

The motor appears to work - at least to extend/retract for 12".

Frustrating... Looks like the lead time for getting a replacement motor could be at least 6-8 weeks...
Old 05-18-2022, 07:35 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Could very well be the motor but who knows. The only other though I have is that if you try to extend your awning with the engine running, you will hear an electric motor run but the awning stays in the in position due to the ignition lock. Not sure if that changes the synching in the awning motor but just a thought.
Old 05-18-2022, 08:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Tried running the awning with the ignition on - and nothing happened.
Old 05-22-2022, 09:03 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I'm trying to find the bluetooth BT12 control module in my 2020 Navion since the bluetooth does not appear to be working.

Does anyone know the location of that module?
eyecando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 09:25 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyecando View Post
I'm trying to find the bluetooth BT12 control module in my 2020 Navion since the bluetooth does not appear to be working.

Does anyone know the location of that module?

It's behind the plastic trim on the passenger side above the main door. You will need to remove the plastic clip inserts with some type of tiny screwdriver. Then remove the screws. You only need to remove the small section on the passenger side.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 11:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

When removing the plastic inserts over the trim screws, be careful not to lose them. They are easy to disappear in the coach...
Old 05-23-2022, 08:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

22D Carefree awning dilemma

Hi! I've read the Carefree awnings have been a problem for many. The motion sensor never worked since I took delivery. When I took it to the dealer they replaced the sensor. My next trip was 5 weeks long and mine started beeping every 30 seconds as well, but every time it beeped it opened a fraction of an inch, so by the end of the day it would be open about 6 to 10 inches, even while driving! Scary!! I have it in the dealer now and they are waiting on a new motor from Carefree. It should be here any day now. I hope that solves the problem. I see in this string folks are talking about replacing batteries. What are the batteries used for? Mine didn't come with a remote control if that is what you are referring to here.
dave5131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:31 AM   #10
RJ2
Winnebago Camper

awning movement

our view would not recognize awning unless parking brake on and I think either in park or motor not on.
RJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

There is supposed to be an interlock that prevents the motor from running while the Sprinter engine is running.

I tested that on our broken awning - since I was concerned it could extend while driving - and had been lashing closed.

The awning has a motion sensor located on the end of the awning that extends out over the coach door. This is a small black box with two AAA batteries.

I've attached the user manual for the Bluetooth sensor.

The motion sensor senses when the awning is moving too much in the wind and is supposed to get the awning to automatically close.

This was working correctly on our awning up until the recent failure - since we've usually had difficulty keeping the awning extended for long periods, because it would retract whenever there was a wind gust.

But now, when the awning retracts (from 12"), the motor will pause, and then extend the awning a little and retract it again and repeat the process until we hit the extend/retract switch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Awning_Bluetooth_MotionSensor.pdf (2.68 MB, 91 views)
Old 05-23-2022, 12:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
There is supposed to be an interlock that prevents the motor from running while the Sprinter engine is running.

I tested that on our broken awning - since I was concerned it could extend while driving - and had been lashing closed.

The awning has a motion sensor located on the end of the awning that extends out over the coach door. This is a small black box with two AAA batteries.

I've attached the user manual for the Bluetooth sensor.

The motion sensor senses when the awning is moving too much in the wind and is supposed to get the awning to automatically close.

This was working correctly on our awning up until the recent failure - since we've usually had difficulty keeping the awning extended for long periods, because it would retract whenever there was a wind gust.

But now, when the awning retracts (from 12"), the motor will pause, and then extend the awning a little and retract it again and repeat the process until we hit the extend/retract switch.
Thanks. I just forwarded the pdf manual to my dealer. The manual says the motion sensor is inside the awning arm itself. In the string above, it says its behind the trim panel above the main (house) door. I believe that is correct. My dealer replaced the motion sensor and removed this panel. Why does the Carefree manual say it is in the awning itself. I'm confused
Old 05-23-2022, 12:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

The motion sensor is "in the awning" - it's on the portion of the awning that extends outward from the coach. When the awning extends, the motion sensor is on the portion furthest away from the coach - a better position to sense when the awning is moving in the wind.
Old 05-23-2022, 01:04 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks! So what is inside the RV on behind the trim panel above the door??
Old 05-23-2022, 01:13 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Inside the coach, behind the trim panel is the Bluetooth Controller. It communicates via Bluetooth with the motion sensor and with smartphones. The controller is wired to the awning motor.

The wiring diagram for the controller is included in the manual posted above.
Old 05-23-2022, 05:45 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I was able to locate the bluetoot module in the location you provided. I called Carefree since I was unable to pair my phone with it even though the motion sensor did pair to the bluetooth module.

Carefree is sending me a new module.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:21 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I had difficulty pairing my phone - but was successful after a couple of attempts.

The Carefree documentation assumes there is a Power Off switch - which Winnebago did not include in V/N.

But... If you disconnect the battery (using the disconnect knob at the steps - you may also need to be disconnected from shore power) - that turns off the power to the awning. And then reconnecting the battery will power on the awning - so you can use the pairing instructions requiring the Power Off switch.
Old 05-23-2022, 07:37 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I basically accomplished the same thing of removing power to the awning by removing the passenger seat and disconnecting the awning circuit breaker then followed the instructions in the Carfree installation manual. Otherwise, I would have had to climb on the roof to disconnect the solar since Winnebago didn't provide a way to disconnect that either.
But still couldn't get the bluetooth module to go into paring mode even with help from Carefree.
Old 05-24-2022, 03:11 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Also just figured out that I have a Coach Battery Disconnect Switch which drops out a relay under the passenger seat which removes all 12V loads from the coach batteries.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:40 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

FINALLY! They got it right! I shared the instructions with them and told them to just replace the batteries and forget about waiting for the new motor they ordered. After my second call, they complied. It now works perfectly! One would think they would have read the manual in the first place! Oh well!! Thanks again!!!

Tags
awning