Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2022, 03:36 PM   #1
Willow Rider

Two years with our 2021 View 24D

2‑Year Update

Next month we will have owned our 2021 Winnebago View 24D for two years. We have experienced some highs and lows, especially lows, during this time. We think it might be helpful to others either considering purchasing a View 24D or having purchased one encountering unexpected issues and wondering if they’re alone in the RV World. Part of our saga revolves around the quality of service we received from dealer from which we purchased our 24D: La Mesa RV of Tucson, Arizona.

The first issues were with the coach door not sealing and the microwave door not opening as configured (pressing the large button accomplished nothing, leaving the door to be pried open with a table knife or something similar). Both of these issues appeared in the first few months of ownership and were presented to the dealer for repair at the one‑time “fix‑it” service that comes with the purchase of any new vehicle.

For the coach door, the dealer told us the door needed a new seal or a new door. The service tech said a new seal had been ordered and we would be called when it was received. The service tech also said the microwave door had been adjusted and lubed. The first day trip after retrieving the 24D from the dealer revealed the microwave door still did not open as it should. Further, we determined the problem with the door not sealing could be fixed by adjusting the latches. The microwave door issue we solved with a knob that suction‑cupped to the door. We never heard from the dealer about a new coach door seal.

The next problem was major and involved the M‑B Sprinter drivetrain. This has been reported in detail in another post (https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f265/2021-view-24d-engine-thumping-361009.html), but for a quick review, it surfaced with the 24D experiencing major shuddering and vibrations coming on suddenly and then disappearing. Sprinter of Tucson, part of the Chapman Automotive Group, which the Tucson M‑B dealer contracts with to service Sprinters, could find nothing wrong. Ultimately, we took it to a highly rated shop in Phoenix, The Benz Shop, which immediately recognized the problem but declined to repair it as the 24D was still under warranty. The Benz Shop service people recommended Mercedes‑Benz of Arrowhead, in Peoria, AZ, just northwest of Phoenix. Eventually, the service people at Arrowhead determined the drivetrain had been assembled with several wrong parts that also had been installed backwards. We have had no further issues with the drivetrain since Arrowhead’s repairs.

Early this year, the awning suddenly and without us doing anything with the switches extended rapidly, slamming into a Class A parked next to our space in the storage park. It refused to retract, forcing us to crank it back in by hand with a ratchet wrench. Around the same time, the power steps stopped working. Once again, we were back at the dealer, La Mesa RV, and were told the awning and the steps required new motors. After waiting several weeks while the dealer waited for the new motors, we had the dealer secure the awning and fix the steps. The same day we picked up the 24d, the steps again stopped working. We finally determined the problem with the steps was not the motor but the 2‑piece magnetic switch at the bottom of the coach doorway. The two pieces were not correctly aligned to get close enough to each other to activate the step’s motor. We repaired this ourselves, too.

After the dealer received the new awning motor, we returned the 24D for that installation. When we picked up the 42D after that repair, we discovered the dealer had failed to install a new rear cap to the awning assembly; we had had to drill through the cap’s mounting screw to remove the cap to get access to the fitting used to hand‑crank the awning back in. So far, the dealer has either received the wrong end cap or broken the right end cap three times; we are still waiting.

A trip to California earlier this year produced two problems. First was the coach door window coming loose. The seal at the top failed, leaving the window being pulled outward by the passing air. Application of some Gorilla Duct Tape kept it in place until we returned to the dealer for repair. Within 40 miles after that repair, the window again came loose at the top. The dealer, La Mesa RV, has tried again. We’ll see.

The other problem came about during heavy winds on I‑5 over the Grapevine, north of Los Angeles. The trim piece over the leading edge of the slider came loose and started flapping against the side of the View. Again, generous application of Gorilla Duct Tape secured it. We’re still exploring how to have this fixed.

The latest problem is with the batteries and solar systems. This in part is our fault. We stored the 24D for almost a year and a half outdoors, through months of 90-100 degree heat. We had forgotten that wet cell batteries use water (distilled). The result is we have one failed coach battery and one OK coach battery. Both are being replace. We discovered this thanks to the beeping low‑voltage sensor on the refrigerator. Neither the coach batteries nor the solar inverter were keeping the voltage high enough for the refrigerator to operate. In the course of having the batteries checked, our new service shop, Freedom RV in Tucson, discovered the charging relay under the passenger seat was not working, which meant the engine alternator was not charging the coach batteries as we drove the 24D. Freedom RV also determined the solar charge setting was set below standard, which meant the solar system was not carrying its part of the battery charging load. Both of these have been corrected.

At the 2‑year anniversary, we can say when the 24D has been trouble free we have enjoyed it immensely. Sadly, so far, the trouble‑free months have been in the minority. We hope the next two years reverse this.
WillowRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 04:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Some dealers are better/worse than others. I might have checked BBB before dealing with a particular dealer. As an example, my dealer was very responsive to warranty issues and adding extra customized equipment for the year following our 2018 purchase. Then they shut down.
It's the nature of the RV beast, it seems.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Vita 24P

I too bought at La Mesa (Sacramento). My Refrigerator died first a week after having the motorhome. They said it would be 1.5 months out before they could look at it. Mean time the inverter died a week later. Same story, so my brand new motorhome was non functional without the inverter which powers the refrigerator (AC only). Called Winnebago and they supplied me with an inverter. So at least I had power. I then cut an access hole in storage compartment behind refrigerator so I could trouble shoot it. Found bad start relay ($4 on Amazon). I feel for you. Being an ex tech I found it easier to fix it myself. Welcome to RV. Thank goodness for folks now there is Utube videos for lots of repairs. Rig has been awsome ever since. 30K miles in 2.5 years. Ended up fixing anything that even looks like it will break. Preventative is the key. And a little redesign improvements.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:06 PM   #4
Site Team

Thanks for that report.

If you RV long enough you’ll come to expert new issues on a frequent basis. This may lesson and slow down over time, but it doesn’t really ever go away.

You seem to have learned through experience that the dealer service department is not a wise choice for repairs. I hope Freedom RV is better but I wouldn’t give them more than one chance. Freedom RV in Tucson is another big RV dealer whose main job is selling lots of new and used RVs. So hold them to a high standard if they are going to be your repair shop.

Keep in mind that there are many independent RV repair shops and people in AZ and most of them have tons of experience. And, they don’t sell anything other than good repair results.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

When Tucson is mentioned, our ears perk up and bias shows.

We've not turned to La Mesa in Tucson for repairs so can't comment. But Maggie in their parts department has been a godsend finding parts for two anal folks who like their rig and want it kept tip top.

We have bragged on WWWilliams in several previous posts. Authorized Allison shop. Although commercial vehicles are their bill payers, they are RV friendly, just plain friendly, and have three or four water and electric slots for longer repairs. We've delt with them since 2014. Anything chassis side. Many things coach side.

We also like Merrigan's AZ Roadrunner. Don't let the shade tree mechanic appearance put you off. Eddie and Wayne are a cut above. We've delt with them since 2014. Anything coach side. Many things chassis side. Free dump n fill open 24/7. We recently went 'round and 'round with Lichtsinn and HWH trying to get our touchpad repaired. Simply needs a new schematic overlay sheet. Six weeks of calls, emailed pictures, emailed part numbers, etc. Nothing. Turned it all over to Eddie. Less than two hours later he called us saying HWH was mailing a new schematic overlay, $17.70 plus shipping.

We also recommend Cummins Sales and Service on South Cherry.

We've heard good things about All RV on Grant Rd.

We've options in Tucson besides Freedom, La Mesa and Lazy Days. Not knocking them. Just sayin'.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 02:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

While we've had issues with our 2021 View 24D, we've received excellent service from Lichtsinn - and closer to home from Kerrville RV.

Our microwave died right after we arrived at Lichtsinn for our annual service, while we were still under the manufacturer warranty. They contacted the microwave company who agreed to ship a replacement to Lichtsinn.

However, it wouldn't arrive until after we had planned to leave. So Lichtsinn was able to arrange a swap with Winnebago - providing us a replacement the next day - and Winnebago would get the new microwave a few days later.

We've had issues with the coach door. Adjusting the u-bolt latches helps. You can also manually re-seat the large rubber gasket around the door opening - and that can get it to seal better to the door.

The biggest issue with the coach door is the locking mechanism. There are critical plastic pieces in the latch assembly - which have broken twice (two different parts). The latch assembly is relatively fragile - and prone to breaking if someone uses the handle while the other handle is being used OR the door is being electronically locked/unlocked.

One thing we've learned from our experience in purchasing and owning our 2021 View (our first RV), is that it's very important to know where you'll get quality service - before purchasing the RV.

Lichtsinn has been fantastic - but they're 1000 miles away from us - so we've only gone back for our annual service.

We were fortunate to find another dealership a few hours from us (Kerrville RV) - who has helped us fix multiple issues.

We've also learned to be prepared to handle minor issues ourselves. We've replaced the black tank valve (and now carry an external valve in case the black or gray valves fail during a trip) - and we were able to replace the simple One Place monitor with a more advanced SeeLevel II monitor (that provides % tank readings and supports bluetooth). And if anything minor breaks - like a cabinet latch - we'll order the parts and do the repairs ourselves.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 03:00 PM   #7
Site Team

Kerrville RV is my closest Winnebago dealer. When my Adventurer was only a few months old I went there for Service. I had two problems - one was a water heater that was blowing thermal cut offs and the other a front passenger side penal above the wheel that vibrated at highway speeds.

The folks were very nice. Got me in quickly and out later that afternoon.

Unfortunately, neither of the fixes they did worked for more than a day or two.

To be fair, the body panel got fixed at the factory service center and I doubt others could do as they did to fix it. And the factory failed at fixing the water heater, too. Everyone that worked on the water heater failed until one day I figured out a fix that has worked ever since.
Old 09-16-2022, 03:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Feeling the same about our 2022 Navion View.

I’m sad that I haven’t had a chance to love this RV. We bought it in late fall last year and first trip out this spring the AC in the cab doesn’t work at all. Less than 2000 miles on a brand new rig. We made an appointment for repair that is mandated to be done at a Mercedes’ service center to honor the warranty, 4 months just to get it in. We took it in two days early ( last Friday ) for its scheduled appointment Monday. Called today ( Friday) , 5 days later and they haven’t even looked at it yet or done the diagnostic. Uuggghh. It’s been a hot summer and we went ahead and took the rig on a few trips but it was loud, hot and sweaty. We ran the generator while driving to get some cool air in the back. The hose on the generator sprang a leak and spewed fuel everywhere. We got a new hose and repaired it ourselves. The door to the back, as stated by many, does not seal, you can see daylight driving down the road. We’ve adjusted the latches ( greatly improved but didn’t eliminate the leak). We saw that the bolt on the bottom of the top exterior hinge had fallen off and the pin was nearly out, we repaired that but still need to find a replacement seal/ bolt for the bottom. I’m not sure the solar charging is set up/ working correctly as we’ve only tried boon-docking once and I was surprised at what minimal battery use we got before low voltage alarms came on. Might be fine, just haven’t taken the rv out as much as planned due to the broken AC.
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

We've also had issues with Mercedes service. When it was time for Service B on our 2021 View, our nearest dealer asked us to drop off our View and leave it with them - and that they should be able to get to it within 3 to 4 weeks.

We ended up going to a different Mercedes dealership across town, who had VanExpress - and was able to get us in immediately and complete the service within 2 hours.

While there, they also agreed to replace our cracked windshield - and we were able to get it replaced once they got the new windshield in - with only an overnight stay.

So - if you're having challenges getting Sprinter service, contact other dealers in your area and see if you can find another one that can provide more timely service.

Though... Unfortunately, while we got faster service - they broke the rain sensor and our coach door latch when they replaced the windshield. Mercedes is evidently completely out-of-stock on the rain sensors - so we don't know when we'll get that replaced (until then - no intermittent wipers) - and we'll get the door latch fixed when we go to Winnebago service the next time. [I was able to get the latch working again temporarily using zip ties.]
Old 09-17-2022, 06:36 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

As for the seal around the door. We had light coming in around the door seal on the side closest to our 24D's galley.

Adjusting the u-bolts helps - but be careful about doing that - because the lock mechanism latches in 2 stages - and you want to make sure the latch gets to the 2nd stage to completely secure the door.

Adjusting the u-bolts wasn't enough to fix the gaps. The large rubber gasket around the door can be gently pulled out from the frame enough to seal the gap. The adhesive has enough give so you should be able to do that without damaging the seal.

Another option is to get a thin insulation strip (with the sticky back) and put that under thinner gasket around the outside of the door - that will also seal the gap - but not as elegant a solution as adjusting the larger rubber gasket around the door frame.

Overall, we'd rate the coach door design to be the weakest element of our View's design.

The other issue we have with the design is securing the door in the open position when the screen door is engaged. Unless you add something to tie the coach door handle to the passenger door handle, the coach door will swing closed eventually and press through the screen door.
Old 09-17-2022, 11:39 AM   #11
Willow Rider

Thanks all for the replies.

Winterbagoal – Good point. BBB shows 99 La Mesa RV complaints “resolved” in last three years and 40 in the last 12 months. Scanning the list, a good number of the “resolved” were the customer being unwilling to accept the offered resolution. Some others were explained with the same excuses we got, e.g., have to order parts, etc. We bought from LMRV because to order the View we wanted meant a wait of a year or more and LMRV had one (the only one in Tucson at the time). Moreover, when we bought it (at an RV show), there were three couples waiting outside the coach door with checks in hand. We elected to give LMRV a chance to earn our service work and would have moved on had the service work not involved ordering parts, returning for the actual fixes, and so on. Makes me wonder if that isn’t the business plan?

Lenore – Sympathies from former Sacramento residents; retired to Tucson in 2019. We’ve had good responses from the Winnebago 800 number but haven’t turned to the factory for parts. We may have to for the blown‑off trim panel. It’s clear to us that LMRV prefers replace over repair. Like you, and as you can see, I’ve found spending a little time diagnosing can translate into a shade‑tree mechanic fix, saving weeks of having our View parked out in the sun at the dealer. With all the time our View has spent “in the shop,” I’m surprised we’ve manage to clock almost 12,000 miles.

Creativepart – We looked at the Freedom RV sales lots in Tucson and were not impressed. At one, the salesperson said there was a new View on the lot but took us to a Class A Winnebago. At the other, the salesperson was up front and said there were no Views on the lot. Where we have taken our view for the service is the Freedom RV Service Center, a separate facility from the sales lots, although under the same ownership. But, yes, we’re ready to go elsewhere if we’re not satisfied—but probably not to Kerrville RV. 😊

Oldchinahand – The references to alternative shops are very much appreciated! It’s kind of a yin/yang thing; nice to have, hope not to have to use. BTW, Navy vet, USS Magoffin, APA 199, ’62-’66; good memories.

rprochnow – Ah, if only re: Lichtsinn! From all I’ve read, it’s the Platinum Card of dealer/service businesses. If we ever take a trip that gets near that neighborhood, we will stop in just to pay homage. On its first trial, Freedom RV Service Center has delivered. Time will tell. For the next regular M-B service, we’re headed back to Arrowhead just outside Phoenix; again, it did us well on the drivetrain problem. So far, so good. Also, I agree on the coach door design as a failure. It’s unacceptable to have the window come loose, period. And for the dealer to suggest replacing the door as the way to fix it? Really?!

Susan – We share your frustration and disappointment. Other than the particulars, your first year with your new Navion View so closely mirrors ours it’s painful. We bought new thinking we would avoid the very problems we’ve experienced. Makes us wonder if used was the better choice? Still, we remain hopeful.
Old 09-17-2022, 02:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Vita 24P

hey great post Willowrider, By the way I too am a Navy vet (USS Saratoga CV60). Liked your responses, please make a trip to the Winnebago GNR next year on your agenda, it was a blast, and Lichtsinn is a great dealership, but while at GNR you can make your shopping list of fixes, and they will fix in one day (Winnebago), and they have parts.
Old 09-17-2022, 02:23 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

While we've had a great experience with Lichtsinn, we're in the process of ordering a Journey 34N from a different dealer, since we'd have to wait longer to get the new Journey from Lichtsinn (probably due to their high sales volume) than with the other dealership.

The reviews of the other dealership are pretty good for service, so hopefully we won't regret our decision...
Old 09-17-2022, 03:15 PM   #14
Willow Rider

Lenore -- Thanks for the suggestion re: GNR (had to google it ). Next one is July 16 - 20, 2023. That's the hottest part of the year; sigh. We'll see.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Sorry to hear of all the issues. My Sprinter based Via needed a lot of TLC when I bought it at 9 years old, but nothing really major. Perhaps the first few years of ownership by the PO took care of all the major problems, or perhaps they built them better in 2011 and it had no major problems, I don't know.
I'm in Tucson as well and while I took it somewhere once to have slideout toppers replaced on my 2 tiny slides, it was the one and only time I plan to do that, they did a very poor job and it took them 45 minutes, the bill was $600. Still trying to get the wrinkles out that they said will "work themselves out" I have done everything else myself including the chassis work. I did take it to a Sprinter repair shop (not Sprinter of Tucson) to see about getting a small transmission leak fixed and I was flabbergasted when, after looking at it, they told me the transmission wasn't leaking and the red fluid I saw was power steering fluid! Wrong! The MB steering fluid is brown, and I knew the tranny was leaking because I crawled under there myself! Long story short I went home and ordered parts and fixed it myself. Also did a 40,000 mile transmission service myself and I do all my Service A and Service B's myself including oil changes at 10K not 20K.
I do have to take it to Sprinter of Tucson next week to have my authorized emissions modification done, hopefully they will do it right. I'll then get an additional 4 years warranty on emissions related parts and a check for a few thousand.
Those of you who are paying for service I will tell you if you are the least but handy regular service on these is very easy. The oil change is especially easy just be sure to get the filter housing oring in the correct groove, it does NOT go all the way to the end! The fuel filter takes under an hour and the filter is under $100, why they charge $500-$600 is a mystery to me. The rest of the filters are a breeze, just common sense, get them seated and put the screws back! ID Parts has everything you need at fair prices.
Getting things done right is not so easy anymore which is my main reason for doing them myself.
Hang in there, once you get all the bugs out you will probably have a dependable RV. The 15 MPG these rigs get has it's benefits, especially at $5 diesel!
Old 09-17-2022, 10:24 PM   #16
Willow Rider

Brian – We understood one of the reasons the wait list was so long for a View like ours was a monster order (something like five figures) from Bezos’ Amazon for delivery vans. No surprise that M-B dropped everything to please the richest man in the world, or something like that.
I’d be happy to do the servicing (four years as a diesel mechanic in the Navy) but for two things: 1) M-B warranty; 2) HOA prohibition on vehicle maintenance on the street. Oh, well. We are having oil changes at 6,000; prevention is the best medicine.
I wish you the best with Sprinter of Tucson. Sounds like yours got mixed up in that emissions scandal. The Sprinter shop should have had to do a few of those jobs. Maybe a little experience will improve the odds.
Old 09-21-2022, 05:21 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

It sounds like the quality of materials and workmanship have seriously declined over the years. We have a 2016 Navion 24J. The only problems we had were a bad module on the steps which the dealer replaced under warranty. The Ruverpark radio/navigation unit required replacement under warranty due to no left channel output. A recall for propane hose was also taken care of by the dealer. Other than that the coach has been trouble free. Several recalls on the Mercedes chassis have been promptly repaired by our local MB dealer who has a separate facility devoted to Sprinter vans & motorhomes. Over the years following this and other forums I've read a lot of complaints about Mesa RV. Fortunately there are no Mesa dealers in my area.
Camper Ken 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:37 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan View Post
I’m sad that I haven’t had a chance to love this RV. We bought it in late fall last year and first trip out this spring the AC in the cab doesn’t work at all. Less than 2000 miles on a brand new rig. We made an appointment for repair that is mandated to be done at a Mercedes’ service center to honor the warranty, 4 months just to get it in. We took it in two days early ( last Friday ) for its scheduled appointment Monday. Called today ( Friday) , 5 days later and they haven’t even looked at it yet or done the diagnostic. Uuggghh. It’s been a hot summer and we went ahead and took the rig on a few trips but it was loud, hot and sweaty. We ran the generator while driving to get some cool air in the back. The hose on the generator sprang a leak and spewed fuel everywhere. We got a new hose and repaired it ourselves. The door to the back, as stated by many, does not seal, you can see daylight driving down the road. We’ve adjusted the latches ( greatly improved but didn’t eliminate the leak). We saw that the bolt on the bottom of the top exterior hinge had fallen off and the pin was nearly out, we repaired that but still need to find a replacement seal/ bolt for the bottom. I’m not sure the solar charging is set up/ working correctly as we’ve only tried boon-docking once and I was surprised at what minimal battery use we got before low voltage alarms came on. Might be fine, just haven’t taken the rv out as much as planned due to the broken AC.
When you say your dash AC doesn't work, are you applying the North American habit of turning the temperature control to the MAX COOL setting, when it's hot outside? One of the idiosyncasies of the MB dash AC is that it will slowly shut down, if the dial is set to MAX COOL. The coils freeze up and it stops producing cooling. It may be too late for you, if you've already taken it in for the "repairs" to be done, but if you can get the unit back, try setting the temperature to 20C/68F on the temprature dial, and run it for a while. If that doesn't cool down enough, slowly decrease the temp settings until it does.
This a rarely spoken of, but known problem/solution, with MB Sprinter dash AC.
It is mentioned in the Owner Manual under Dash AC operatiion.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:56 PM   #19
Willow Rider

Camper Ken 2 – I have Navion Envy! Well, not really. We like our View a lot. It’s just that the problems/shop time has slashed the time we hoped to spend traveling, and without niggling‑to‑immobilizing problems. Once we experienced the shuddering, until and even now to a lesser degree any time the front end starts to vibrate on an especially rough stretch of road, we have flashbacks. That is easing the more and longer trips we gather up our courage to take and without a repeat of the shuddering. Only now we’ll be walking back to check the battery status several times on a drive. Sigh.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:51 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
When you say your dash AC doesn't work, are you applying the North American habit of turning the temperature control to the MAX COOL setting, when it's hot outside? One of the idiosyncasies of the MB dash AC is that it will slowly shut down, if the dial is set to MAX COOL. The coils freeze up and it stops producing cooling. It may be too late for you, if you've already taken it in for the "repairs" to be done, but if you can get the unit back, try setting the temperature to 20C/68F on the temprature dial, and run it for a while. If that doesn't cool down enough, slowly decrease the temp settings until it does.
This a rarely spoken of, but known problem/solution, with MB Sprinter dash AC.
It is mentioned in the Owner Manual under Dash AC operatiion.
Thanks, that’s good to know. We did just get a call last night the issue found was a faulty O ring in the check valve. All the Freon had leaked out. They can’t replace just the O ring so they have ordered a new assembly and we hope to pick it up next week. Fingers crossed. I did ask the service tech how common this was and he said he’d never seen this issue on a new rig before.
Susan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
view