Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Am I okay to Drill through back-end for Wifi Booster antenna cable?

Hello Forum Members! You all helped me so well with my last question about splashing water from my gravity fill tube (fixed now), I thought I'd run another question by you. I am installing a WiFi Signal Booster antenna on on the back of the rig and need to drill into the back section to feed the cable into the empty cavern so that I can connect it to the cable input panel inside the back storage area. I have my booster plugged into the corresponding cable connector in the front over-cab storage cupboard.

BEFORE I DRILL, I wanted to confirm that in that very farthest back section of the roof (surrounding the top and sides around the recessed panel inset of the back end), that there is indeed a space there to drop down my cable so I can connect to the Input panel. Anyone have experience with this to be able to confirm before I drill? It seems like it's empty space. I just don't want to guess and be wrong when I can ask here and be confident.

Thanks for sharing any experience with this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hliv2nzkw...back1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/thwdq68qqm...k%202.jpg?dl=0
Aspect27Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

The problem with Rv is that each year has a bit different methods used. So, rather than go on what other years might have, I would look at checking a bit further before drilling. It could be clear but it might also be totally filled with foam insulation that is a real bear to fish wires through.
My cautious side would require me to pull the lights on that panel and actually look at what is in there. That top running light and taillight look like places where you could find an opening already for the wires and that would let you look a tiny bit as well as probe with a wire for what else might be near those spots.
That does mean a little extra work and need resealed when done but it does cut the risk.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Solid thoughts, Richard. Thank you. I will probe up inside with a hanger or wire and see what I can hear or visualize.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspect27Guy View Post
Solid thoughts, Richard. Thank you. I will probe up inside with a hanger or wire and see what I can hear or visualize.

For what its worth, Amazon sells borescopes of various lengths that can attach to your smart phone. Might be the berries for that particular job.

I got a 4 footer for just under $20.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Talking about the rear cap? On my Adventurer the rear cap is open to the ground. I can darn near stand in there. But I don't have the rear storage or the recessed area above it. Have you laid on the ground and looked up at the sides? Or looked up from the storage area? Maybe there's some closeout panels that could be removed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1_39603_2787360_112680237[1].jpg
Views:	89
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	174355  

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 06:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If you are going to purchase a WeBoost, would strongly recommend getting the Reach Extreme RV kit instead of the Drive X RV.

We initially had the Drive X RV installed in our 21 View 24D, and found the signal boosting to be very small or non-existent.

The Drive X RV interior antenna is intended for a desktop, and only provides significant boost within a few inches of that antenna. We swapped out that antenna for the Home and RV Indoor Antenna Upgrade Kit, which provides a boosted signal when the antenna is mounted on one wall and we are sitting across the RV in our dinette and bed.

We then replaced the Drive X booster with the Drive Reach booster and saw much better signal boosting, especially with the uplink speeds, inside the RV.

Since we already had a Drive X installed, we had to piece our system together from parts, which ended up costing us an additional $200.

If you search on the internet, you can purchase the Drive Reach Extreme RV kit (which WeBoost doesn't list on their website, yet) which provides the much stronger booster with the upgraded interior antenna.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspect27Guy View Post
Hello Forum Members! You all helped me so well with my last question about splashing water from my gravity fill tube (fixed now), I thought I'd run another question by you. I am installing a WiFi Signal Booster antenna on on the back of the rig and need to drill into the back section to feed the cable into the empty cavern so that I can connect it to the cable input panel inside the back storage area. I have my booster plugged into the corresponding cable connector in the front over-cab storage cupboard.

BEFORE I DRILL, I wanted to confirm that in that very farthest back section of the roof (surrounding the top and sides around the recessed panel inset of the back end), that there is indeed a space there to drop down my cable so I can connect to the Input panel. Anyone have experience with this to be able to confirm before I drill? It seems like it's empty space. I just don't want to guess and be wrong when I can ask here and be confident.

Thanks for sharing any experience with this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hliv2nzkw...back1.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/thwdq68qqm...k%202.jpg?dl=0
I put my booster on the ladder and ran the cable down the ladder and up through the floor of the bedroom. That way i don't have to worry about leaks. So far so good!
Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Hi, I would pose this to the Facebook Winnie Aspect and Itasca Cambria group. You need to join it. Great folks and really helpful advice. You'll get a more thorough answer there.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Call Winnebago's Tech Support Phone Line and they will send you a measured drawing showing where the structure and wiring is located. They will be the one best able to advise you on where to drill the hole. They have been very good about this even on coaches that were made decades ago,
Old 08-03-2020, 09:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You may be able to even connect the cable to the satellite antenna input. The impedance difference will be too small to bother and it does not go thru the antenna booster circuit
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:29 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the photo and suggestions. I drilled and it was hollow. I was able to drop the wire right down. Now you know you can too if you ever need to
Old 08-03-2020, 10:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

That is the plan to connect into the antenna connection in the back bay.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:33 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

It's Hollow

I knocked on the panel from the bottom and middle, which I knew were hollow, to the top and it sounded the same. I took a chance and drilled. It's all hollow so I was able to run the cable down through the hole and seal it all up with Eternabond tape. My only challenge now is the the metal center of the connector broke off - not sure how, but noticed this. So I need to cut the cable and re-attach the cable end to plug into the panel. I don't have the right tools for that so i may need to get a Cable guy somewhere to do that for me.

Other than plugging in the connector ends, this project was a success.

Tags
antenna