Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-16-2022, 08:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Actual Length of Small Class Cs

I'm driving a 2008 Access, model 22B. But it's actually 23 feet long. It's wearing out. The only way that I know of to discover actual length is through the Specs list for an RV. I want to find all Class Cs from about 2010 on that were 23 feet or shorter.

A few other restrictions:
  • gas engine, preferably Ford,
  • at least 8 ft. wide (mine is 8.5 feet wide and I don't like the 7.5 foot RVs),
  • permanent bed.
  • no slide outs.
Is there a computer list somewhere that would have specs for many years at once? I know that Access had a 23 foot model through 2009. In 2010 it got longer. I don't know about Minnie Winnie. What years - more recent than 2008 - did it come in 23 feet or less? Any other Winnebago models since 2010 that were 23 feet or less?

Thanks.
Kathleen
Kathleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 12:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I can't find an Edit button on the post I wrote yesterday.
The Edit function is only available for a short period of time. I wish I could tell you the exact amount of time. But I don't know what it is set at. At most forums it's between 5 min and 20 min.

Once the time expires the edit button disappears.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago Brochures

Amazingly I got through to Customer Support at Winnebago this morning. Usually it's just "leave a message."

There's a very convoluted way to see the Specs on various older Winnebago models. You have to use the "hamburger" icon at the right hand top corner of the Winnebago.com opening screen. Then
Shopping Tools
Download Brochures
View Our Archive.

You can select a year and a model and it will show you the general brochure for that model. Scroll down and eventually you'll be able to see how long the RV was in that year.

I worked on it for a while for years from 2008 - 2019. Here's a little bit of what I learned:

After the 2009 Access 22B, which is just like mine - exactly 23' long and 8'5" wide, the next shortest Class Cs are the 2015, 2016, and 2017 Minnie Winnie 22R which are 23'10" long and 8'5.5" wide.

After that comes the Viva/Trend which is 24' long but only 7'6.5" wide. It comes on the Ram ProMaster chassis, not Ford or Chevy. (I prefer Ford.)
Old 02-17-2022, 12:56 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi Kathleen,
Another variable to consider is the tank sizes. My 22M has very large fresh/grey/black tank sizes, but the 22R does not. Of course, these are both too long for your requirement. My 2019 22M Minnie Winnie is 24'-2".
Eagle5
Old 02-17-2022, 05:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Tank Size Not Important

I never boondock, so I can dump every day if necessary. I don't fill my fresh water tank at all.

A pint's a pound the world around.

Your Minnie Winnie has a slideout. I want an RV with no slideouts.
Old 02-18-2022, 07:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I'm driving a 2008 Access, model 22B. But it's actually 23 feet long. It's wearing out. The only way that I know of to discover actual length is through the Specs list for an RV. I want to find all Class Cs from about 2010 on that were 23 feet or shorter.

A few other restrictions:
  • gas engine, preferably Ford,
  • at least 8 ft. wide (mine is 8.5 feet wide and I don't like the 7.5 foot RVs),
  • permanent bed.
  • no slide outs.
Is there a computer list somewhere that would have specs for many years at once? I know that Access had a 23 foot model through 2009. In 2010 it got longer. I don't know about Minnie Winnie. What years - more recent than 2008 - did it come in 23 feet or less? Any other Winnebago models since 2010 that were 23 feet or less?

Thanks.
Kathleen
Here's new models that "almost" (they are 23'10" long) meet your requirements, but if you want used I don't how many years back from current they were offered:

1. Winnie Minnie (by Winnebago) https://www.winnebago.com/models/pro...loorplans=true

2. Spirit (by Winnebago) https://www.winnebago.com/models/pro...loorplans=true

FWIW, we have a 2005 Winniebago Spirit 24V (slightly too long for you) built on the gas E450 Ford chassis with a 55 gal. fuel tank that also supplies it's built-in generator, and it has been a fantastic RV for us: i.e. Two permanent queen beds, one on-demand full bed, 4-person dinnette, rotating/sliding lounge chair, seven seat-belted seats, driver's seat can tilt all the way back when traveling, no slides, 101 inches wide, 45 gal. heated FW tank (all FW plumbing is exposed to coach interior heat), 39 gal. heated BW tank, 29 gal. heated GW tank, combinable BW and GW tanks, several furnace outlets (one in the bath), several air conditioner outlets (one in the bath), heated cab mirrors, two coach batteries, and gobbs of interior and exterior storage (seven exterior cabinets, with two of them long for fishing poles, shovels, etc.). Parts and service for a Ford E450 chassis are available "everywhere".
Phil G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 10:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Why I Want Used

Thanks, Phil.

I do like Winnebago better than any other manufacturer. So, when I absolutely have to replace my current Access, I'll be looking at Winnebago first. Unfortunately things have changed a lot since Dec. 2007 when I bought the Access for $49,999. I'm unwilling to spend $100,000 for a new RV, so used is the way I'll be going. Also, I've heard that the older models of any brand were better constructed than the newest models. That's another reason to look for used.

I don't tow, so I want an RV that I can park anywhere. I can fit 23' between two painted white lines defining a parallel parking spot, though it's quite difficult to back into a spot between two cars, so I much prefer either the first space or the last space in a line of parked vehicles. I have parked between two, but not very often.

I have written to the 2008 Access sellers I found online, but no one has responded. I'll have to see if there were phone numbers provided. At the moment my Access is purring along, but things are wearing out after 230,000 miles. I just had to get one of the shades restrung. There's something amiss with the solenoid assisting the battery disconnect switch. The overhead fan in the bathroom doesn't work.

Anyway, I appreciate your input.

Kathleen
Old 02-19-2022, 04:45 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

"It's wearing out."

There is absolutely nothing that cannot be repaired or restored on the Winnebago you have now. Perhaps you just want something newer, but replacing what you have with the same basic used coach seems like a waste. Any used vehicle is subject to surprises. You know exactly what you have now.

I realize that sometimes when you have to pay for rebuilds that it may exceed the value of what you have. It is always a thorny issue, rebuild or replace. I've just seen to many people replace and then get bit with the very expensive bill they had hoped to avoid.
BarryLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 05:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Not Interested in New

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryLS View Post
There is absolutely nothing that cannot be repaired or restored on the Winnebago you have now. Perhaps you just want something newer, but replacing what you have with the same basic used coach seems like a waste. Any used vehicle is subject to surprises. You know exactly what you have now.

I realize that sometimes when you have to pay for rebuilds that it may exceed the value of what you have. It is always a thorny issue, rebuild or replace. I've just seen to many people replace and then get bit with the very expensive bill they had hoped to avoid.

Thanks, Barry.

From my earlier message you can see that I think the way you do. I did say that only when I absolutely have to replace the 2008 will I do so. No, I do not want something newer; they're not constructed as well. The only reason I have to look at 2014 options is because of length.

Though my current RV is 23' long, it's very commodious. My previous RV was also 23', and the first one was either 21' or 22', I don't quite remember. I've been RVing for 33 years and had just 3 RVs, each with mega-mileage before they were replaced. But the only new RVs today that are short are Class Bs. I'm used to space. I don't want to feel cramped. I want all the conveniences of home. And I definitely don't want to pay the price that a new RV costs today.

When I had to decide about the last major repair, the repairman asked me, "Do you want to spend $5,000 to fix this or $90,000 for a new one?" That was an easy answer.

Kathleen
Old 02-19-2022, 07:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, I missed that clear indication of your desire to keep what you have if possible. That is always a somewhat difficult decision I think. I wish you the best of luck regardless what you may decide.

I will say that while it is often stated "they don't build them like they used to", I find that almost all vehicles are much better than the older. Lots of technology improvements have been made. But older is still quite good when it's kept in good condition and rebuilt as required. A 2008 has most of the modern equipment drive train wise which is something I find to be advantageous. I like carburetors. But compared to fuel injection it's no contest...
Old 02-19-2022, 09:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I met a campground neighbor driving an Ekko. He had so many issues with it. He had taken it back to Forest City for them to fix a variety of things that weren't done right the first time. There's a difference between the engine portion of an RV and the living quarters. When I said that newer ones weren't as well made I was talking about the living area. Yes, drive train wise newer vehicles are better. On the other hand, my Ford 350 chassis is excellent. (I'm not good with vehicle terminology, but you know what I mean.)
Kathleen
Old 02-19-2022, 09:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Understood. I don't know the difference in older cabin construction and the newer stuff. However, as I am beginning the restoration of a 1998 Minnie I am not highly impressed with the construction methods employed. Granted, it all works and is adequate. But if the seals are not maintained very, very well then the rot begins as no consideration was given to handling wet stuff other than keeping the seals intact.

My restoration thread is here and will be going for a while
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...on-363346.html

Is your engine the V10? That was one of the things I wanted in an older motorhome along with a dirt cheap price (meaning it would be damaged and need work). Mine has low miles at 58K and runs quite well. Just has the water damage and rot.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:45 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

We went through the same exercise and ended up with a used 2018 Minnie 22r. Only downside is the parking but we found its the best option. We do have a sportsmobile for "roughing" it. Both on the E350 chassis but the 22r has the V10 which has plenty of power. Do not get the 5.4 ltr engine in a class C. Good luck with your hunt.
gmeyer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:08 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Detailed Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmeyer4 View Post
We went through the same exercise and ended up with a used 2018 Minnie 22r. Only downside is the parking

What do you mean about the parking?

Where did you find your vehicle?

I think the 2018 is still 23'10". Is that correct?

Tell me about the table. Is it a pedestal? Does it stay up while you're driving? If so, does it rattle?

There doesn't seem to be any meal preparation counter space. How do you handle that?

There is only one sink. Where do you put your drying dishes?

Kathleen
Old 02-24-2022, 05:06 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

What do you mean about the parking? Its just a bit too big to fit in 1 regular parking space.

Where did you find your vehicle? Google search everyday, found it at a dealer in Virginia.

I think the 2018 is still 23'10". Is that correct? Yes

Tell me about the table. Is it a pedestal? Does it stay up while you're driving? If so, does it rattle? It is a pedestal but have not noticed it rattling. And, yes it stays up.

There doesn't seem to be any meal preparation counter space. How do you handle that? That is a bit of an issue but we use the table plus we got a cover for the burners so you can use that space if your not using the stove top at the moment.

There is only one sink. Where do you put your drying dishes? Even at home I wash and dry them right away and put them away.
gmeyer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:06 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

I appreciate your quick response to all my questions.

There's a dealer near where I'm staying who may have a 22R on his lot. I'm going to call him this morning and see if I can step inside it to see it firsthand. The reason I may not be able to see it is that the description of it online says "sale pending." It may not even be there. It's not that I need a different RV now. It's just that it's a convenient opportunity to see if I would even want to consider it when mine gives up the ghost. As you said, those extra 10" do create a problem.

Kathleen

Tags
class c