Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-17-2023, 07:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2023 Ford Mavererick Hybrid is Flat Towable

We have a 2019 22M and want to flat tow something exciting.

Just picked up my new 2023 Ford Maverick 2.5 Hybrid and owners manual (outlines how to electronically disconnect drive train from front wheels on pages 293-294)

Speed limit is 70 mph, recommended to run the engine a bit after 8 hours putting the transmission through P N D (L) and then back into Neutral Tow.

Anybody fitted a Maverick with a tow bar? What brand and cost ?
HERBEAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 07:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Blue Ox does not yet list a base plate for the Maverick Hybrid listed on their web site. You can call Blue Ox and see if someone has already bought one and worked with Blue Ox to make the first baseplate (if you want a Blue Ox baseplate). They give baseplate #1 to that person free, and provide a RV spot with hookups for the person to stay for the few days it takes to do it.

There is a small risk that even though the Ford vehicle can be put into Neutral Tow mode so it can be flat towed that it won't be technically possible to create a baseplate, this happened with the Ford Escape Plug-In Hybrid where it was discovered that Ford had placed items in the way of where the baseplate needed to go that were not present in the non plug-in hybrid.

The design must be slightly different somehow than the Escape Hybrid as for some reason Ford allowed the All Wheel Drive option on the Escape Hybrid but does not allow it on the Maverick Hybrid.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

E-Trailer has base plate made by Blue Ox It does say not confirmed to fil 2023. Can not imagine it is different.
https://www.etrailer.com/Base-Plates...ID=20226007465
dajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 06:59 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

i have been looking at the Mavrick hybrid to tow, are you sure you have to disconnect the drive line? From what I have read and was told by one dealer you did not have to any of that.
MW26T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 07:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have not ordered my maverick as yet PLEASE keep me/us posted on your progress and how you like the vehicle and how it tows. I have been looking at one for over year and not pulled the trigger as yet and placed my order.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:56 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW26T View Post
i have been looking at the Mavrick hybrid to tow, are you sure you have to disconnect the drive line? From what I have read and was told by one dealer you did not have to any of that.
I think the OP just used that wording to describe neutral tow mode. From all reports the Maverick requires no extra kind of driveline disconnect.
Old 01-23-2023, 10:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I think the OP just used that wording to describe neutral tow mode. From all reports the Maverick requires no extra kind of driveline disconnect.
Yes, I now understand what he was saying, thanks.
Old 01-23-2023, 11:26 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Base plates and all requirements are available at ETrailer.com
Old 01-23-2023, 11:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Read my first post. It describes exactly where to look in the owners manual (available online) to electronically put the vehicle in neutral tow
Old 01-23-2023, 11:28 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

That is correct. I followed the directions in the manual and accomplished putting the vehicle in neutral tow as outlined
Old 01-23-2023, 11:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I love the new 2023 Maverick Lariat Hybrid. Around town I am getting about 50+ mpg and on the highway at 65 I have been getting 37 mpg. It is very comfortable, easy to enter/exit (I'm 6 ft and have over a foot of headroom. The bed although short will actually haul 4x8 sheetrock/plywood inside. With Ford Carplay and Apple Carplay entertainment and map directions are easy. I can stream SXM radio (was sad it didn't have satellite radio) and music/radio broadcasts from my I phone. The michelin 18's should last 60,000 miles and oil changes can be accomplished at home. It fits nicely in the garage, replacing our old Chevy Trailblazer. It took 9 months to fill my special order but well worth the wait.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:05 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

2023 ford maverick will be done tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERBEAM View Post
We have a 2019 22M and want to flat tow something exciting.

Just picked up my new 2023 Ford Maverick 2.5 Hybrid and owners manual (outlines how to electronically disconnect drive train from front wheels on pages 293-294)
Found an exclusive shop here in Yuma, AZ that has been in business for 39 years "Just For Tow" who specializes in professional installation for towed vehicles. Will be ready for pickup tomorrow after installing the Roadmaster base plate (no holes need be cut in lower bumper grill), wiring and proportional braking system that can be monitored in our coach as we go.
Really looking forward to it and will try to post some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8906.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	185288  
Old 03-03-2023, 09:12 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Just bought a 2022 Mav Hybrid used. I assume it will need a battery charge line as part of the wiring setup. Braking will use battery power. Does my Winnie Spirit 7 pin output have a charge line? I see my Mav has a positive post under the hood that goes back to the 12V battery under the rear seat.
Old 03-03-2023, 08:32 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Ready to Trip

Finished installation yesterday and ready to go. No battery charge line was installed as braking unit uses very little current and the electrical system of the Maverick is off when towing. Here is a photo of the completed tow bar installation. Your motor home has a charge line if it has a 7 pin connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9120.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	185321  
Old 04-11-2023, 02:45 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn View Post
Does my Winnie Spirit 7 pin output have a charge line?
Yes, all motohome 7 pin outputs have a charge pin on the 7 pin outlet on the motorhome. I believe it's at the 1 o'clock position. It's connected to the motorhome charging circuit. Easily verified with a meter. Just make sure that pin is wired to your positive battery terminal on your toad. Again, check with meter at toad positive battery terminal to verify 13+ to 14+ volts with motorhome engine running. Larry, 2014 Reyo P
ldfeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 08:00 AM   #16
2022 Winnebago Sunstar 32

Yes I just finished with the work on setting up my 2022 Maverick hybrid for flat tow. I used Road master equipment off of e-Trailer . The base plate fits within existing openings on front grill, and the tow bars fit without having to chnge out any connectors. E-Trailer also has great videos that talk thru the process on each piece of equipment. Using RVI brake system.
dbest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2023, 09:44 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Amazingly easy to electronically disconnect/connect towbar and go. We took a 400 mile trip over the mountains from Yuma Az to San Diego. Towed like a dream and the digital proportional braking worked well. Mileage on the 22m dropped to 8.5 and considering the 6% plus grades, winds, road conditions that is a very good figure as we get 9-10 mpg without the Toad. Very Pleased with both the roadmaster towing installation by Just for Towing (Yuma, AZ)($3800 total) and Minnie Winnie Performance (Easy tow up the mountain at 2600 rpm - 4th gear at 50 mph) Downhill set cruise to 55 and barely needed brakes.

I would do it all again the same way ! No regrets!!!!!
Old 04-17-2023, 06:33 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Congrats, Herbeam! I hope to have similar results. Just got my Mav back from the setup installer. RM baseplate, RM Sterling towbar, Demco Duo braking system. My installer was not so experienced as yours. They did a neat and tidy job of it, but had trouble adjusting the momentum switch properly. First too tight so the turn signal executed the brakes. No, I didn't drive it like that! Then too loose. I didn't have enough breaking from the Mav going down a 7% grade. The Ford 450 tranny handled it fine and I kept it at 50mph without problems. Demco provided good instruction for me to adjust it. Will be doing a test drive to check my work.
Old 05-09-2023, 06:40 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Just back from our first long trip, 400 miles. Mav tows well, hardly know it's back there. Easy to hook and unhook. Brakes are adjusted correctly and work well. Brakelight LED on the Mav mirror is hard to see from the Winnie dash cam. But it doesn't work when the headlights are on. Brakes work, just the indicator light does not. Annoying wiring issue. Not critical, but I'd like to fix it. Anyone have tips on how to test and correct this issue?

Tags
ford, tow