Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-12-2020, 10:01 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I have Michelin tires installed. So I weigh my VG and use the tire pressure recommendation by The Michelin truck guide for my tires. I have Borg valves, and TPMS.
Alinement, Sumo, Hellwig and Fox have been done to my VG.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

The Continental tires on my new Navion have a max load rating based on their being at 80 PSI. Winnebago has decided to use instead a 61 PSI recommendation which greatly reduces the load the tires can safely manage. I plan to run the front tires at 70 PSI and the rear tires at 75 PSI.

I spent the last 2 days traveling more than 500 miles in snow, heavy rain, and winds gusting over 20 MPH. The 2021 Navion with the heavy duty SumoSprings on the front and rear and the addition of a Hellwig heavy duty rear sway bar is very easy to drive and has less sway than any similar RV or large truck I have driven. It does not handle like a Class B van but that is to be expected.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:20 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I have non Alcoa wheels on my 2021 View. They are labeled as HiSpec wheels, although I could not find them on the website, they may be speical made for winnebago. Aluminum front and rear outer, both with metal valve stems and steel inner wheel with a rubber valve stem. The tires are continental vancontact AS LT 215/85 R16, and as previously said, winnebago specs 61psi cold although tire will do 80psi. I think I will run higher as well, 70 front, 70-75 in the back, seems safer. 61psi just seems low for max weight.
misteracng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:09 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Update on my 2021 View 24D. It came with HiSpec wheels, aluminum front and outer rear, steel inner rear. I called borg tire supply and was able to get two 6 inch straight stems alone, a bit cheaper than the packages on there website. The front and rear aluminum wheels already came with steel/brass hard stems so no need to change and they were pointed outward so normal pressure gauge can be used. The 2 straight stems were installed without issue on the rear inner, they do need to be bent a little during install following Borg instructions to fit through outer wheel openings without rubbing.. There are no rubber stabilizer grommets available from borg for these hispec wheels, but they are not needed as long as the stem less than 6 inches long per borg. At 6 inches, they stick out of the outer wheel about 1 inch, and external TPMS mounted without issue and is working well.

In regards to tire pressure. I was able to find the continental tire inflation guide. At 4 bar=58spi cold, the front and rear load capacity are already within 200lbs of the max axle ratings axle ratings and combined already exceed GVWR by 900lbs. So 61psi could will be plenty even overloaded on the GVWR. I see winnebago specs 61psi. According to the continental specs that is enough psi to max both axle ratings and also will cover overload GVWR by 2000lbs, which i would not want to do. I think it give some wiggle room, in terms of left to right weight differences as well. So I decided to go with the recommended psi from winnebago.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:20 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffie Drink View Post
If you weight your View, then use the Michelin guide. I run 55 rear and 51 front on my View G.
This is unwise as the vehicle manufacturer, in this case Mercedes Benz, has a far better idea of the best tire pressure for the tires used. A general load chart produced by someone at the tire manufacturer with a calculator is not to be trusted.

When I had a GM pickup with a GVWR of 11,000 lbs the factory pressures recommended were 65 lb PSI at the front tires and 80 PSI for the two rear tires. With thousands of miles and payloads of 4,000 lbs in the bed of the truck the GM recommended tire pressures worked perfectly and I had even tire wear so long as I had the tires rotated every 5,000 miles. With the tire manufacturer's recommended tire pressure the tires on my truck would have been underinflatted and would have run hotter and worn more rapidly on the sides and been dangerous to operate.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:44 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

If you have Michelin’s from the factory then the pressure in the door label is give. My Winnebago for a max load RV, likely at max gvwr. So if you are less it’s possible to run lower based on the tire manufacturers specs. However with the weight of these sprinter coaches, very few will not be at max gvwr or slightly over when weighed.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:11 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

My Navion weighs enough to have a OCC of only 866 lbs and a full fresh water tank leave the load capacity at 546 lbs for food, gear, and people. Obviously the coach weight is close to the Sprinter 3500 van GCWR of 11,030 lbs or the OCC would be higher. It is likely that we will be at or over the GCWR for the Sprinter when it is loaded for a trip and we are onboard.

Tags
chassis, leveling