Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2021, 01:09 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Winnebago doesn't carry just the single piece that broke - so we're having to purchase a $200 assembly that includes the broken piece. While the zip tie solution is working in the short-term, I plan to install the new lock assembly before we leave on our next trip.
rprochnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Received the replacement lock assembly from Lichtsinn.

I was unable to figure out how to remove the cables from the top and bottom of the broken assembly.

So I disassembled the old and new lock assemblies and just swapped out the broken part.

And now the door is working... Though we probably spent 3-4X more on the repair, because we only needed one of the plastic parts - not the entire locking mechanism...
Old 08-22-2021, 08:12 PM   #23
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprochnow View Post
Received the replacement lock assembly from Lichtsinn.

I was unable to figure out how to remove the cables from the top and bottom of the broken assembly.

So I disassembled the old and new lock assemblies and just swapped out the broken part.

And now the door is working... Though we probably spent 3-4X more on the repair, because we only needed one of the plastic parts - not the entire locking mechanism...
Thanks for posting about this issue....this just happened to us in our 2020 Navion D. Do you have the part number that Lichtsinn sent you....looks like I need to order the same part.
ChfWiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 09:29 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Suggest you contact your dealer - send them the photos I took. They should be able to determine the door part.

I wasn't able to find the paperwork for the door part order.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:46 PM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
I ended up fixing mine. You have to remove the plastic full height trim. There are 4 black plastic plugs on the edge of door. 2 on side and 1 on top and 1 bottom. Then remove the long door bar with small Allen wrench and screw. That will let you remove the cover. Once that is off, you have to orakbinside at the guts. There is a white plastic bar and different metal bar that has to be reversed position. You can push the plastic one over with a screw driver without opening the guts of the hardware. It's easier and faster than I explained. I have pictures that will help. First picture is the plugs you have to remove. They just pry off. 2nd picture is looking inside the hardware. In the middle you will see a white rectangular plastic piece with scrape marks and metal rectangular piece. This is how it should look when correct. It will be the opposite when you open it. You can use a screw driver and push the plastic piece to the other side. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you, this worked for me. My wife was trying to manually unlock the door at the same time I came back to the coach and pulled the outside handle. I find it interesting that they put a notice sticker on the door not to do this, but haven't re engineered a better solution. Anyway thanks for the post, we were boon docking in Casper Wyoming on Labor Day when it happened. This could have been a very bad day without your post.
Freedom24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 09:02 AM   #26
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you very much crah. It took me about an hour. If I had a ladder it would have been easier. Hardest part is getting the black plugs out. I broke one of for. Oh well.
Rkronebusch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:44 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkronebusch View Post
Thank you very much crah. It took me about an hour. If I had a ladder it would have been easier. Hardest part is getting the black plugs out. I broke one of for. Oh well.
Good to hear. I replaced all my plugs from a generic kit from Amazon. I think I did a search for plastic bumper plugs and bought a universal kits with many different sizes. It was really cheap.
crah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 07:32 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Broken door - Act II...

Today, after getting our 2021 View 24D back from Mercedes Sprinter service (to replace a cracked windshield and broken fog light), we discovered the coach door was stuck locked and closed. It would not unlock with key, keyfob, from the inside of the coach or from the Sprinter controls.

Needless to say... Any road trip would be challenging if we could only enter or exit through the cab driver or passenger doors...

So, I worked on disassembling the door to get at the lock mechanism. Pulling the black tabs from the top and side weren't too difficult with the door closed from inside the coach. Getting at the bottom tab was challenging - to blindly pull that tab out without breaking it and with little leverage wasn't much fun... But got it done.

And then pulling the handle off and removing the plastic cover was pretty easy, exposing the lock mechanism. Fortunately, we still had the leftover lock assembly parts from our first broken lock experience - and comparing that to the current lock identified the cause of our current failure. The plastic tab that makes contact with the outdoor handle was broken off and had jammed everything in the locked position. It was easy to manually unlock the door and open it.

Then it took several passes to disassemble the lock - replace the broken lock - and then put everything back together in working order. Without any manual or diagram, it was easy to make mistakes, causing us to re-do the assembly (several times).

When everything was put back together, everything works, except for a minor issue - when the door is locked and someone pulls on the outside handle, it doesn't fully retract back into position, and instead stays extended at the top by about 1/4-1/2 inch. Which could expose the lock mechanism to water if it's raining outside.

Without any documentation on how the lock is supposed to be assembled, it's not clear what should have been different in the assembly that would fix this issue.

But because we want to be able to use our View, I jury-rigged a solution using zip ties and some padding.

If anyone else has encountered this issue with the handle not fully retracting, please post how you were able to fix it.

Since my solution may not be long-lasting, we'll probably order a replacement lock mechanism and get either a Winnebago dealer or our local mobile RV tech to replace the entire mechanism (and then keep the jury-rigged version as a spare).

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220728_165557.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	183647

Name:	20220728_121048.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	183648

Name:	20220728_141555.jpg