Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2022, 11:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Leave power skylight cracked open?

Hi everyone. I have a 2018 Winnebago View that has an (optional add-on) power skylight/roof vent.
I just want to know if it is safe to leave the vent open a bit, in case of rain.
My View is second-hand, and I cannot find anything about it in the accompanying literature, not even a brand name!
Thanks! Kate
View13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:00 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have no idea about how "safe" it is to leave a rooftop window open in the rain, but I think the answer should be pretty obvious, no?
Here are some other comments about the power skylight from other owners, just as an fyi, including the official name/brand.
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...ht-355349.html
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 12:10 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the brand name.
I thought it was a reasonable question, given that other types of vents are rain proof.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Only a closed roof vent is rain proof, and there's no guarantee there, either.
The rest are "water resistant", at best.
No offense intended.
Old 07-23-2022, 12:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

This is one that takes some looking at the exact situation at the time.
If you are speaking of storing itaway from you for a long period, I would not as sudden storms can come along and can blow up and into the RV.
Then the reasons for leaving it cracked will change with where you are and what the weather in that spot.

In areas like where we live in Central Texas where we keep the RV at the house, we often do leave the vents open as well as let air in the interior through the lid on the steps. We do that to kind of help keep the tem from goingso high it melts candles and things we leave in the RV. But it rarely rains and we are here to know well in advance of any real rain, so we are okay.
Other areas, that have water, you may need to vent it to help hold mold down or use some form of chemical to reduce humidity.
To help with the decision when in doubt, we have always added covers over the normal vent cover as a second line to help keep water out if it is not a real blow.

No firm answer for all !
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I've always installed rain hoods on my vents. Just make sure the design fits your vent.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=rv+roof+v...f=nb_sb_noss_1

I installed my old cover on on a new power vent I'd installed and the vent won't open all the way before hitting the cover.

I don't see a 26' View listed for 2018, just 24 foot models. I took a look at the parts catalog for a couple of the 2018 View models and it looks like both vents have integrated rain shields, in which case you don't need a separate cover. Even with a rain shield or vent cover, you should try to park so the prevailing winds don't blow directly into the opening. Also, if you're leaving your MH unattended, even with a cover or rain shield I'd only open them an inch or so to minimize any blow-in. Two slightly open vents will provide better air circulation than one.

Here's the link to the parts catalog. After you click on your model, click on "Vents, Windows, Windshield, Wiper" and it will take you to a page with a 3-D diagram of the roof. You can click on the vent in question and move around it with your cursor so you can tell if it looks like your vent.

https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 02:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Bob, I think he means the large opening skylight in this Class C. It's not what we think of as a standard opening powered vent or fantastic fan type vent. It's mainly a skylight, but it has a powered opening function as well as the sky light function.

From what I can see of it online - and there are not a lot of photos of it, I wouldn't leave it open. One question. Does it even have a screen? I haven't seen one in the photos I've found.
Old 07-23-2022, 03:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Crack open the skylight, take a hose up on the roof and spray water on and around the skylight. A quick check inside will determine if it's OK to leave the skylight open all the time.
I'm not familiar with an opening skylight, but my guess is that it's not watertight.
Old 07-23-2022, 03:24 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Richard! Are you kidding about the candles?
Old 07-23-2022, 04:08 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Helpful, thank you Bob.
Interesting that the serial numbers don't match! Mine is 25' 8", manufactured in 2018, but that isn't even one of the choices.
This skylight/vent is an option that was added on later, I believe.
Old 07-23-2022, 04:10 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

That is correct, yes. It does have a screen though. Kate
Old 07-23-2022, 04:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

That would work! Kate
Old 07-23-2022, 07:40 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by View13 View Post
Helpful, thank you Bob.
Interesting that the serial numbers don't match! Mine is 25' 8", manufactured in 2018, but that isn't even one of the choices.
This skylight/vent is an option that was added on later, I believe.

Your 2018 View, like my 2018 Navion, is 25' 8" long, according to the 2018 brochure, Owner's Manual, and my tape measure. You are correct.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:30 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks Richard! Are you kidding about the candles?
Nope!
One of the reasons things like kids and pets die so quick in vehicles is that the temp can go so high so quick!

We liked the small light put out by candles setting around when we were out on really cool evenings and stocked up with a pack, only to find them melted together and impossible to use after being in the RV for a while.

We switched to candles in glass jars and stored them upright, so that any melting just made them slump but not change shape to unable to use! But then they were broken from banging around whole driving!

Now we are so tired of being hot all the time, we mostly just stay inside!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #15
Site Team

Burning Candles in an RV? Just say NO!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv fire.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	183616  
Old 07-27-2022, 05:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I have the same skylight. Yes you can leave open for some ventilation without rain coming in. If you look closely , can can leave open a small amount. I have done this many times without any rain coming in.
rx4fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 06:32 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I have the same unit. We leave it cracked an inch or two during a light rain. Note that the cover has an effective design where there is about 3 inches of edge hangover to prevent water from entering. Would leave it open if you leave and the weather app indicates a storm coming, otherwise it’s all common sense.
Winnefredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:50 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I always leave the Fantastic fan vent open. It has a protective cover on top that works very well.
Old 07-28-2022, 06:25 AM   #19
bkg
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Hi everyone. I have a 2018 Winnebago View that has an (optional add-on) power skylight/roof vent.
I just want to know if it is safe to leave the vent open a bit, in case of rain.
My View is second-hand, and I cannot find anything about it in the accompanying literature, not even a brand name!
Thanks! Kate
If we are in agreement that we are referring to the large forward position skylight, I would not leave this open or even cracked open if the View is unoccupied. When we boondock, I use the skylight to help vent heat by just opening the lid an inch or two off the curb. We left the RV to pickup a few items and it had rained while we were out. It wasn't a hard rain but enough to splash on the View roof which resulted in a damp area on our View floor directly under the skylight.
From then on, we only open the skylight when we are in the RV. It's easy to forget that it's open and I've done that more than once so I rarely open it anymore. We just leave our bathroom vent open which does have a vent cover on it.

Bobby
Old 07-28-2022, 05:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks! Kate
I replaced my vent with a power vent. Too long a reach and a pain to get a stool when I wanted to change options. To your question: Yes.

I leave mine open just enough to let moisture out. I turn the vent cover knob about 1/2 to 1 turn. The edge of the cover is still at the edge of the fan housing. Another great advantage in doing this is, over time, the gasket surface becomes less sticky because of the small amount of dust and dirt from the air accumulating on it. This makes opening the vent easier on the motor when it is fully closed.

Tags
light, power