Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Hazard Light Switch "Kludge" Fix - 2002 W22 Chassis

The hazard light switch on my 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U (W22 chassis) was malfunctioning. The turn signals would work but the hazard lights wouldn't. This is a relatively new rig for me so it took me a while to learn that the down position = turn signals and the up position = hazard lights (seems backwards to me) but they still wouldn't work. I'd already ensured that the flasher worked. By the way, my turn signal flasher was dangling down above the emergency brake pedal and the hazard flasher was up inside the far left top of the dash cover above the fuse panel.

I really didn't want to get into replacing the whole multifunction switch assembly (turn signals, cruise control, etc.) which involves pulling the steering wheel and a bunch of other disassembly, so I started wiggling the hazard switch around. I discovered that the hazard lights worked if I pushed the switch to the left while it was in the up position.

My "kludge" solution was to fashion a wooden "key" out of 1/4" (actually about 6mm) plywood that fits into the space between the switch button and the plastic steering wheel column cover. When in place the key wedges the switch to the left so that the hazard lights work. I hung the key, which I stained red with a Sharpie, on the gear shift lever with a loop of string so it's handy. Maybe someday I'll get around to replacing the multifunction switch but there's a long list of higher priorities right now.

As long as this works I'll probably wait unless something else fails on the multifunction switch. In any case, it's unlikely that anyone but me or my wife will be turning the hazard lights on. At the very least, one of us would most likely be present unless the rig was stolen.

My situation may be unique but I'm posting this in case others experience the same problem. The key could be used to wedge the switch button left, right, forward or back depending on your situation.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, chassis, switch