Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-11-2023, 05:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Travato 59K Suspension Lift and Skid Plates Questions

Howdy,

Heading to Alaska early next summer and we prefer to boondock when possible on side roads. Since our generator is barely 5.5" off ground, anything more than the slight berm that occurs between tire tracks will surely take it out.

I am looking for suggestions are to successful installs on a 2022 Ram Promaster 3500 lift kits with a 2023 Travato 59K interior. One thing I've heard is that there is an issue with a "skew(?) sensor".

I'd also appreciate feedback from owners who have lifted their vans about a change in handling performance.

Having driven many, many hundreds of thousands of miles in all sorts of cars, trucks, large box trucks, pickup trucks with all sorts of trailers, etc.-- I'm finding that while our Travato drives well in most situations (and turns on a dime ). It seems to be most squirrelly when the wind is hitting it at an angle to either the front or rear. And twice over the past two months, a "wall" of wind hitting it at the right angle has caused the cruise control to suddenly shut down as the van veered right of left. Definitely woke me up both times...

Thoughts?

Finally, any feedback on all the skid plates (battery, generator, water tank, etc.) I've seen advertised by aftermarket accessory dealers? Has anyone had experience with one vendor over another? Do you lose more clearance?

Thanks in advance!
Gizmoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 05:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

It's a van conversion on/in a Promaster van. It wasn't designed to "off road".
5.5" should be plenty of clearance, if you don't drive it like an ORV or Wrangler 4X4.
If you wanted to off road your van, you really should have purchased a Revel or similar.
Since you didn't, and if it were me, I'd be more inclined to add protective skid plates, before lift kits.
Just my opinion.
(p.s. if you do drive it off road, check wth your ERS provider, if you have one, and make sure they'll rescue you if you do get stuck somewhere off the roadway. Good Sam RSA won't in that scenario, as an example.)
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2023, 11:44 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbagoal View Post
It's a van conversion on/in a Promaster van. It wasn't designed to "off road".
5.5" should be plenty of clearance, if you don't drive it like an ORV or Wrangler 4X4.
If you wanted to off road your van, you really should have purchased a Revel or similar.
Since you didn't, and if it were me, I'd be more inclined to add protective skid plates, before lift kits.
Just my opinion.
(p.s. if you do drive it off road, check wth your ERS provider, if you have one, and make sure they'll rescue you if you do get stuck somewhere off the roadway. Good Sam RSA won't in that scenario, as an example.)
I appreciate the feedback.

Funny story, I was dissuaded by RV dealer from Revel because of "availability of Mercedes dealers around the US" if there is an issue. Funny thing is -- in the Seattle area apparently with all the Dodge dealers, there is one (in Bellingham) that will work on the Promaster 3500. If there are others, I would appreciate hearing about them. The service center in Bellingham only has one technician with credentials to work on the van and the waiting list for warranty repairs is long (plus assuming he will be there when you arrive for a scheduled appointment. I won't bore you with the long story there.) Thanks again for the feedback. Be well!
Gizmoneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension