Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Slight humming noise

So I plugged in my Travato 59K today for the first time in a month. I noticed a slight humming noise coming from under the bed where all of the components are. I don’t know if I noticed it last year, but perhaps it was. I’m fairly certain it’s 120v>12v transformer. I know they hum somewhat, just wanted to gather more thoughts on it. Thanks. Heading out for our road trip in April.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:59 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would fire off an email to Owner Resources @ Winnebagoind.com ([email protected]) with all your particulars (include VIN/WGO Serial Number if you know it), and ask them if it's normal.
If they say yes/no, either way you've got it in writing.
I think my converter/charger in my old Roadtrek used to hum a little when plugged in if the batteries were low. I rarely plugged in, though.
Winterbagoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Taking a look at the parts for your RV here:
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

Not certain of exactly which model and build date as well as possible options each RV might have, I do see two items under the drivers side bed which I might expect to hum a bit. Both inverters and transfer switch tend to have relays and components which normally do hum a bit.
Battery and electrical use at different times may change the hum as things are working more, etc.
I marked the suspects with blue "X"? This is looking down through the body from high on the driver's side.
Overall, I would not be surprised to hear a hum when in quiet areas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020invert.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	177601  
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 01:30 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks so much for your help. I could take the top of the bed off to make certain where the hum is coming from. I know transformers in general do have a humming sound. Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the awesome drawings Morich. I took the top off of the bed and used an old mechanics trick to find what was making the humming noise. It’s the Transfer switch and not the inverter. I started the generator and when it transferred I listened again and didn’t hear it, although it’s a little noisey inside with the genset running. I have an appointment in early April at my dealer. On a side note I called Winnebago Cust service and explained that my warranty expired last week. They said they would cover the expense if it were a warranty
issue.
Old 03-08-2021, 03:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Old mechs have lots of funny ways to trace noise, it seems. Was this one using a hose and a funnel to make a directional listener?
I stuck my head under the dash for a while and the sound seemed to be all over until I got a funnel and hose so that I could tell by pointing the hose which way the sound was coming.
The big problem is that about the time I learn a few handy tricks, they stop making that item anyway. I got pretty good at working on the ignition points on cars---about the time they stopped using them!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Oh man I’m sorry I forgot to write what I used. I did the long screwdriver trick. I put it on the inverter and didn’t feel the vibration. When I put it on the transfer switch, BOOM, I felt and heard it on my ear. I’ll have to try the one you mentioned!!!
Old 03-08-2021, 05:01 PM   #8
Site Team

A humming transfer switch can be a couple of things.

1. Bad power from the pedestal. If it only does it at certain power sources it's their problem not yours.

2. Loose connections inside the Transfer Switch. Open it up (when not plugged in) and check the connections

3. A failing Transfer Switch - at least that's what every one tells me.

My Transfer Switch hums. All the time. I checked all my connections and all were very tight. I contacted the manufacturer of the TS via email and didn't hear back. After 3 weeks they called my cell phone and left me a message apologizing for not getting back to me.... but then still didn't get back to me or leave me any hint about what I should do. So, for now, my transfer switch is humming it's own tune.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Unfortunately the Transfer switch is right under the twin bed on the drivers side. I’m sure when my wife lays down, she may not like it that much. I’ll be taking it to the dealer in a few weeks. I’ll keep you posted on what they find.
Old 05-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Update on the humming transfer switch.

Just an update from my previous post about my 2020 59K transfer switch humming noise. My dealer suggested I call Winnebago Customer Service and explain my situation since when I noticed the noise it was about a week or so after the warranty expired. I spoke with a wonderful Representative and when I explained my situation, he said he would authorize a warranty claim to have it replaced. The dealer did determine the transfer switch was faulty and replaced it. Needless to say I will be certainly continue to be a Winnebago Customer for the remainder of my RV experience. I’m not sure you get that level of customer care with the major auto manufacturers.
Old 05-01-2021, 02:08 PM   #11
Site Team

Hi Ron & Cindy,
Good to hear that they replaced the transfer switch with a warranty extension. Winnebago is a good company.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 05-02-2021, 01:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Ron & Cindy,
Good to hear that they replaced the transfer switch with a warranty extension. Winnebago is a good company.
Thanks, Eagle5
Thanks Mr. Eagle. We’re still planning on that 22M sometime in the near future!

Tags
light, noise