Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-31-2024, 08:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2022 Solis 59P Top driving lights?

Hello everyone I am new here and I have ?

About one year ago I purchased a new 2022 Solis 59P and so far kind lucky with no major horror story to tell.
My top front 5 driving lights were installed with some kind of cheap glue that has gradually been turning mustard yellow showing an eye sore buggered look, so I desired to change the lights and found they were glued to the fiberglass and had rusty under size steel screws dropped in the holes with the buggered glue on top that was a nightmare to clean without damaging the fiberglass finish.
Just curious, my? is has anyone had this problem with the top lights or my Solis was a fluke on top lights installation?

Thanks in advance.
CoolhandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 09:05 AM   #2
Site Team

Greetings CoolhandLuke,
I do not seeing anything posted on this forum about it. What kind of glue and screws are you going to use for the reassembly?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Click image for larger version

Name:	UNTITLED.gif
Views:	30
Size:	342.4 KB
ID:	188301
Old 01-31-2024, 09:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I don't have that RV but it does sound like time to look at better tools for working with the various types of sealers on RV.
When you mention damage to the fiberglass, it tells me you are using the wrong tools!

Try one of the various oscillating tools with a flat blade for working on the getting the old caulk or sealer off.
I first had a "brand name but it did not last long, once I found how well it worked on so many projects, both on the RV and on the house!
So I now use this "cheap" one and find it works the same and is lasting longer!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tou...0&from=/search

Using a flat scraper blade that is thin enough to bend easily to fit flat on the fiberglass, it both does the work much quicker but since it is not forced hard into the work, it also has little chance of damage. It takes a thousand small bites instead of that one big one we use when doing it by hand!

With an RV on hand, redoing the seals is a constant!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 02:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Greetings CoolhandLuke,
I do not seeing anything posted on this forum about it. What kind of glue and screws are you going to use for the reassembly?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Attachment 188301
I bought a very nice set of led lights on Amazon that appear to be of excellent quality and claim to be waterproof, but I still applied a thin bead of clear silicone to make sure contact surface is watertight, the oversize holes I filled with two-ton epoxy fiberglass and redrilled holes to correct size I used stainless steel screws.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-2024, 02:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I built a 21-foot fiberglass trimaran so I do have some experience working with adhesives, however this stuff is like nothing I've seen before it's just plain cheap something like a cross of liquid nails and contact cement and I dear not use a power tool on it, but you are right I was able to painstakingly remove the thicker part with very thin sharp spatula the rest I was able to patiently defeat with micro cloth and acetone about one hour per light and at the end not a single scratch on fiberglass finish. It's just bewildering how someone used that crap on new Solis 59
p, not blaming Winnebago as it could very well be employee error. Thanks for prompt reply.

Tags
light, lights