Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class B Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-26-2023, 12:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Inverter mounting advice - ERA 70C

First post to the group.

My wife and I have a new-to-us 2016 70C that we are updating for a longer 3-4 month work/travel journey coast to coast in northern Canada.

We’ve done many of the improvements mentioned in the group here (shower doors, TV mounts, extra cutlery drawer, adjusted the bed, etc) in anticipation of this trip, so many thanks to everyone who has posted those pictures and details!

We are now about to do the bigger ticket items including our batteries and installing an inverter. Due to the distances and areas, we are traveling RV parks (I.e. power pedestals) will be few and far between, so we will be heavily reliant on the generator and battery systems.

We would like to be able to use the microwave/oven, or an air fryer/instapot as we travel so we know we need a 2000w inverter minimum and roughly 300-400ah of lithium batteries. We will also need to charge laptops and use the HVAC when stopping for work calls, which we know needs a pedestal or the Generator.

Based on what others have done, we know we can fit 3 Group 27 batteries under the chassis with a minor change to one of the rear battery trays. That would get us the needed 300ah and necessary draw rate for the inverter. We have also found some newer 300ah Lithium batteries from Royer Batteries that would allow us to get 600ah with no tray changes. That part is an easier decision. Ditto for the DC-to-DC piece to charge while driving.

Now for the question!

The easiest lithium/AC power answer would be to change the Progressive Dynamics charger to support Lithium, then install a 2k inverter in the empty space above the microwave, and directly wire that inverter (with fusing) to the 12v bus bar. We could then manually move the microwave plug between the existing AC outlet and the inverter and have a spare outlet for hair dryer use and the air fryer/Instapot. My only concern is the distance between the inverter and the batteries/12v bus bar. We also could not use this for HVAC.

The other “better” option would be to install a 2k or 3k inverter/charger behind the existing electrical panel, or over the wheel well in the next cabinet. This unit would hopefully deal with the generator transfer switch. Similar concerns on wiring as we would probably need to change the entire 12v-to-batteries loop to 4/o. I’ve seen this scenario mentioned in various forums but have never seen pictures of the final results or a bill of materials.

Could anyone who has done either setup or something similar in a 70c/70m layout be able to chime in with photos? If you have mounted the inverter or charge elsewhere in this model layout I’d also be interested in seeing/hearing about it.
NewEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2024, 05:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

we have a 2015 era 70c also. we would like to go lithium also. any details you can provide along the way would be appreciated. could the inverter go beneath the bed? Have you added solar? hope you get some good advice from others . sorry I am no help at this time, looking for answers also, Robert
Waxgelman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, inverter