Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-13-2023, 05:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Unhappy Water heater troubles! 2001 Adventurer (32 ft workhorse)

Howdy! 2001 Adventurer (32 ft workhorse) here.

I am having a rough time at figuring out why my water heater doesn't want to run while running on electricity. I am connected to shore. I am having 119V at water heater switch (above microwave in cabinet). The water heater ran perfectly fine while running on propane. But not heating while attempting to use electricity. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	425.6 KB
ID:	187563  
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 09:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Greetings Kyle,
This Thread seems to have the answers to your troubles.
Life Expectancy of Hot Water Heater?
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 10-13-2023, 11:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Do you see that device connected to that brown wire? The one inside the plastic tubing? Disconnect one end of it and then using an ohmmeter, measure it's resistance. It should be close to zero, no more than ~20 ohms. It's a thermal fuse and they blow for no reason at all. A much reviled planned obsolescence part.

Using a magnifier, you'll see a rating stamped into the case. That's the temperature it's supposed to blow. You can order one or 5 from eBay or Amazon or you can find them at an RV dealer. Now days they're probably $2 each.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 07:36 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Do you see that device connected to that brown wire? The one inside the plastic tubing?.
If the water heater is working on propane then it can’t be the thermal cutoff fuse. When that “blows” the water heater doesn’t work at all. Not on AC or Propane.

That thermal cutoff diode is a safety device to prevent flames from the Propane burner blowing back into the heater’s front. Once that blows it shuts off 12v power to the control board shutting down everything.

If that fuse wasn’t there, if it had been removed/bypassed, then the water heater would work on both AC and Propane.

So, that cannot be the cause of the OP’s issue.

A likely cause of his issue is, unfortunately, a failed electric heating element. However, there are a few other possible causes. So it will still require some investigation to be sure.
Old 10-18-2023, 05:26 PM   #5
1996 Itasca 29Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
Howdy! 2001 Adventurer (32 ft workhorse) here.

I am having a rough time at figuring out why my water heater doesn't want to run while running on electricity. I am connected to shore. I am having 119V at water heater switch (above microwave in cabinet). The water heater ran perfectly fine while running on propane. But not heating while attempting to use electricity. Any ideas are appreciated. Thank you!
Are you sure the hot water heater has an electric mode? I don't see anything that looks like it in the picture!
Bobn1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2023, 07:08 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I believe your heater has a separate circuit for 120V. Your schematic should confirm. On the back of the heater should be a cover, under which is the element, tstat and ECO. The ECO is resettable, using a pencil eraser thru the hole. Also, you may have a separate on/off switch on the side of the cover, which have been know to go bad.

Tags
heater, water heater, water, workhorse, vent, heat, adventurer