Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2015, 08:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Vista Sunstar 26HE

I thought I would create a dedicated thread for the Vista/Sunstar 26HE. My goal is to consolidate comments and questions on this popular and unique model. Other than the F53 chassis, the 26HE doesn’t have much in common with the other Vista models.

Prior to this, I had an R-Vision/Monaco B+, which came in 3 floorplans and was built over 10 years. There is a thread over on rv.net on these models that is over 300 pages and I learned so much from these online friends, I thought having the same for the 26HE would be great. I thought about a Facebook page, which is a good option, but here, anyone doing a Google search on 26HE would find us in a flash.

So weigh in here with questions, comments, ideas. If someone is more savvy than me and wants to add links to the other appropriate threads, have at it. I may still do the Facebook thing anyway because its easy, but let’s start here.

Peace, Dennis
2wheelluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

would like it
bblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Sounds good - we'll see how it works.

I have an issue that someone may be able to help with:

We have a persistent leak in the rear storage door. Water runs in every time it rains. I've crawled into the compartment to check the gasket and it seems to be ok - no obvious gaps. There is sealant on the door frame screws and the joints. My next plan for troubleshooting the problem is to crawl inside during a rain, or getting DW to spray it with a hose, but I thought I'd see if anyone else had this problem and resolved it.

Thanks!

Neal,
'13 Sunstar 26HE, '03 Tracker ZR-2
Buttercup987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We had a Trail-lite r-vision B+251. It had the Ford chassis. The washroom area was twice the size of the 26HE. That we miss. The kitchen area was larger. The only problem was having to open up the slides and make the bed up all the time. The bed was also very uncomfortable. The bed in the 26 HE is great. The major trouble I had so far is wind noise. I put electrical tape on the drain holes on the driver and passenger side windows which helped tremendously. Now I need to get the proper drain plugs.

Does anyone know how to remove the oven racks in the 26HE. Also the oven door closes easily when opened. Do you attach a weight to the door to keep it open when you go to put something into or out of the oven??
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

2wheelluge,

There have been several other posts on the Winnebago site about the Vista/Sunstar 26 HE. If you can locate them, maybe some of your questions will be answered. If not, ask away. We have a 2013 Vista 26HE with 30,000 miles on it.

Buttercup 987,

My problem is not water, but dirt/dust around the door frame and back of the door. The airflow seems to make the back wall a catchall for dirt/water. It's always the dirtiest wall every time I wash the rig. Perhaps your door flexes in the air while driving just enough to let in the water. I have a similar water problem, just at times, with a left side storage door.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenkid View Post
The bed in the 26 HE is great. The major trouble I had so far is wind noise. I put electrical tape on the drain holes on the driver and passenger side windows which helped tremendously. Now I need to get the proper drain plugs.

We put a 3" topper from Costco on our bed, now it is very comfy.

I wonder if the window noise is the fact that the metal window pieces (with the Latches) are warped as ours are, allowing air to get past. This has been mentioned elsewhere. We complained and the dealer ordered new windows from the factory.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The metal window pieces were replaced on our motorhome and we still have wind noise.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelluge View Post
We put a 3" topper from Costco on our bed, now it is very comfy.

I wonder if the window noise is the fact that the metal window pieces (with the Latches) are warped as ours are, allowing air to get past. This has been mentioned elsewhere. We complained and the dealer ordered new windows from the factory.
We did the same with the Costco topper. Wonderful! Better than our bed at home. We sleep great in our HE.

We consistently get favorable comments from onlookers about our 2015 Sunstar 26HE.
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 08:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We recently had an UltraTrac rear trac bar installed on our 2015 Sunstar 26HE.

It no longer "wanders" out of the lane, made a huge difference, and it is a real pleasure to drive now even in crosswinds.

Ultra RV Products

One issue was that the Camping World mechanics had to go to the store to get some bolts that were not included in the kit. But the product works wonderfully.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota51 View Post
We recently had an UltraTrac rear trac bar installed on our 2015 Sunstar 26HE.

It no longer "wanders" out of the lane, made a huge difference, and it is a real pleasure to drive now even in crosswinds.

Ultra RV Products

One issue was that the Camping World mechanics had to go to the store to get some bolts that were not included in the kit. But the product works wonderfully.
How did you decide on that particular bar?
Old 06-06-2015, 03:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelluge View Post
How did you decide on that particular bar?
I had seen posts by other people that they liked the RV chassis performance people at Brazels RV and that was the bar that Brazels uses.

From what I understand all trac bars (originally called Panhard bars) are the same in that they lock your rear axle to the frame to prevent any side-to-side movement, and only allow up and down motion on the leaf springs.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Anyone moved the front TV or changed the mount? We tried to watch a movie last night with poor results. The only thing its good for is having the news on during breakfast and dinner.
Old 01-31-2016, 06:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Not much action on any of the 26he threads so I thought I would wake you up. What are you all up to? Mine is sitting in a barn in Cresco Iowa while we plot out our travels for the coming year, and adding to our upgrade list.

First on the list is a new radio. We plan to put in a unit that will do Android Play so we can link the phones easily. Second is adding a 12V TV to the back bedroom. I got the bracing plan from Winnebago so I think I know where to attach the mounting bracket.

After this, we'll probably start doing some suspension upgrades, starting with the CHF.

What plans do you all have for this year?

Peace, Dennis
Old 01-31-2016, 09:28 AM   #14
Site Team

We are have our trips planned for the year, including 10 long weekend trips within a few hours of the San Francisco Bay Area, and a ten-day trip to Bend, Oregon. It's looking to be a great year! As far as mods, we are happy with what we've done so far, and no new mods are planned....though an Apple Car Play stereo in the dash would be great. :-).

On the other hand, it would be nice to have an auto transfer switch and auto gen start installed, as well as a built-in surge protection...

Take care and happy travels!
Al
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:25 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We put 14,000 miles on our 2015 26HE. Two long trips, in the spring we were gone 4 weeks from Minnesota down to the Gulf Coast then west to Arizona. In the fall we were gone 8 weeks, Minnesota through the northern plains and Nevada out to San Francisco, then down the coast to SAn Diego, across to Arizona and then up through Utah and Colorado to home.

We bought it used with 1,000 miles on it in March last year. So far we had fix the door lock, which locked us out. The leveling jacks failed and we had to have the pump replaced. Replace the carburetor on the generator, the power steps quit working and those had to be repaired. We damaged the awning is a stupid move and has the arms replaced.

But overall we like the motorhome. We are hoping we have no more repairs for a while! Warranty covered most of it, except the awning damage.
Old 02-01-2016, 04:48 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

For us, BBQ season starts in the beginning of March in the south. If no more snow (30" 10 days ago), we are heading south for Alabama, Georgia and Florida for about a month.

Besides BBQ, we plan on the air show at Oskosh and the vintage car races at Watkins Glen.

Good travels to all.
BBQ Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:10 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

We try to take our 26HE out once a month. Most of our trips have been local (within 4 hours of home). Just recently had our motorhome repaired because someone broke into all of the bins, stole the generator and inverter, and damaged the entry door. It's good to have the motorhome back.

Planning our trip to the NASCAR race in Fontana, CA in March. This will be our third year camping in the enfield.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:33 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
We are have our trips planned for the year, including 10 long weekend trips within a few hours of the San Francisco Bay Area, and a ten-day trip to Bend, Oregon. It's looking to be a great year! As far as mods, we are happy with what we've done so far, and no new mods are planned....though an Apple Car Play stereo in the dash would be great. :-).

On the other hand, it would be nice to have an auto transfer switch and auto gen start installed, as well as a built-in surge protection...

Take care and happy travels!
Al
Al there is room in the service bay for an built in surge protector was an easy install unit is the progressive 30amp #EMS-HW30C
Old 02-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmblaster View Post
Al there is room in the service bay for an built in surge protector was an easy install unit is the progressive 30amp #EMS-HW30C
Nice setup. I have the portable one by Progressive which I store in the service bay and run an extra power cord from the service bay to the electrical outlet at the RV park. I like the idea of it being portable, plus I can store it inside the bay to protect it from the weather and theft.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:42 PM   #20
Site Team

John, that sounds like a great trip. Be sure to post a photo or two! :-)
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote