Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-12-2024, 12:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Via back wall seam oozing?

I just noticed this thick, semi-sticky material oozing out of the seam where the upholstered ceiling bolster meets the top of the rear wall in a 2013 Via 25Q. It's been parked in SoCal outdoor storage with the back end in the sun so I thought it might be a bit of glue / adhesive sealant that warmed up enough to get soft but it hasn't really seemed hot enough yet. We did have quite a bit of rain recently (and it is right under the roof seam) but I'm hoping it's not a leak. It's too thick and tacky to be "just" water. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4B99C6584CE0-1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	188519

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-03-11 at 11.25.31 PM.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	188520
modernnomads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 10:18 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Does the difference in color showing in the first picture indicate it has been getting wet? Or is that just a picture lighting thing?

One of the big things with keeping an RV in good shape is keeping a constant watch on the sealing around any edge or light, etc.
My first thought would be water! But I also keep an eye on anything like a joint in the roof, so that I catch it before it leaks, not after!

Part of my doubt on it being adhesive is that it seems way too late for that after ten years or so. But after ten years, water is for sure a possible problem!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 12:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

most likely a leak...

Thank you for the reply Richard - no, the color difference is pic #1 is just a shadow, and yes, I agree with you that the most likely explanation is water intrusion, although if so it must be mixing with another material to end up thick and sticky. It does not seem plausible that the adhesive would suddenly get this thin after ten years. This area is right below the exterior roof / wall seam so there's an obvious potential entry point for water, but all the exterior sealant appears to be solid and in good condition. One thing I didn't think of until this morning is that the PO added an exterior ladder, so there are 4 additional holes in the horizontal surface of the roof very close to this area. It's certainly a possibility that the ladder mounting sealant has deteriorated and allowing water to enter. It couldn't hurt to back those screws out, reseal that area and see if it helps.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Sounds like a super place to check as ladders can take a lot of stress when climbed and it may have loosened a bit?
I don't think of the sealants they use as water soluble but then we don't know what the other owner might have used? Sounds like you may need to look!

Have you heard the only thing that works full time on an RV is the owner?
They sure can be fun----once we get done working on them!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 12:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Got an answer on this one! I was able to find some earlier pics that the PO had posted in an ad and it was obvious in those that that padded trim area was sagging just a bit. I swapped the parking direction around so that the back end wasn't in the sun and the material hardened right up. Looks like it was a "pre-sale" fix that didn't quite do the trick.

Appreciate the input - have a great day!
Old 03-15-2024, 12:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Most sealants/glue used to attach the ceiling material is water-soluble, even the glue used to attach the roof membrane is water-soluble..
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote