Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I'm going to reseal the seams on my 2001 Itasca Sunrise 30W with eternal bond. I read a whole lot on this form on how to do it, and wanted to show my plans and see if anyone has any comments:

So 1st I will cut the 4 inch wide eternal bond tape into 2 inch strips

Next I will clean the area I will be working on

Then remove old caulk and put in new.

Then carefully push the eternal bond tape down into the bottom of gutter and the seal it and be done.

One question I have is what caulk to use?
and do I need to let it dry before I put on the tape?
Thanks

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:55 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'm going to reseal the seams on my 2001 Itasca Sunrise 30W with eternal bond. I read a whole lot on this form on how to do it, and wanted to show my plans and see if anyone has any comments:

So 1st I will cut the 4 inch wide eternal bond tape into 2 inch strips

Next I will clean the area I will be working on

Then remove old caulk and put in new.

Then carefully push the eternal bond tape down into the bottom of gutter and the seal it and be done.

One question I have is what caulk to use?
and do I need to let it dry before I put on the tape?
Thanks

Seattle, WA
Old 10-11-2005, 11:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I did not re-caulk mine when I did the eternabond but my seams were in good shape. If you feel you need to re-caulk, would suggest 3M 4200 or 5200, or ProFlex. I would certainly allow the caulk to cure before I applied the tape.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Did not reseal seams either....did my RV two years ago...still holding up well...one tip...when you roll the tape into two 2" rolls...did the edge in talcum powder...keeps it from sticking to roof when you lay it down...onlt do about 4 inches at a time with a helper.

2004 Adventurer 38G
J Stemler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Looks like you have read the other posts very well and have a plan thought out. I do not see any reason to remove and re-caulk before applying the Eternabond. Other than to smooth out any high spots and such if someone has done a poor caulk job in the past. A good clean surface is the key to a good long lasting Eternabond fix. At this time no one really knows how long the Eternabond will hold good. Let's hope a very long time as it sure would be a job to remove and re-apply.

2000 Itasca 35U
N8XV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 01:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Just called my local RV maitaince place and they advised me to use a dicor self leveling sealent for the roof seams. He said this is what they use when they do it.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Seattle, WA
Old 10-12-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I just ordered 2" x 50' rolls of White eternabond and roller tool from:

http://bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=15115

ETERNABOND ROOFSEAL WHITE 2" X 50' ROLL RSW-2-50 $22.95 per roll

PRODUCT: ETERNABOND ROOFSEAL WHITE.
2" WIDE X 50' ROLL. PRICE/ROLL. Recommended for smaller sized permanent roof repairs on all types of roofs.

APPLICATIONS: RoofSeal enables instant and easy permanent roof repair and waterproofing. Eternabond's RoofSeal White is the best solution for leak repairs on all types of roofs. RoofSeal can also be used for corrosion protection in tough environments and conditions all types of roof materials, gutters, awnings, pond liners etc. The specialized white facing has be proven to be UV stable, even after 16 years in full sunlight.

The patented adhesive/moisture sealant has an integrated primer which enables RoofSeal to aggressively and permanently BOND with the surface it is installed on. Perfect for re-seaming all roofs, regardless of the material. Rubber, fiberglass, aluminum, modified, shingle, PVC, TPO, SBS, PVC, BUR, APP asphalt, steel, hot-tar, etc. RoofSeal makes a permanent water-tight seal. RoofSeal provides instant long-term repair of damaged roofs.

NOTE: This is the same product as Eternabond "Miracle RV Roof Tape" but is cut for us in 50' roll lengths rather than 37'

SIZE:
Thickness: 35 +/- 2 mils
Roll Sizes: Standard: 2", 4", 6" and 12". Special order of 8", 24, and 48"
Colors: White

SURFACE PREPARATION:
The surfaces to be sealed must be clean, dry and free of loose rust, scale, dust, talc and dirt. Any oil, grease, silicone or other contaminates should be first removed with a suitable solvent/cleaner.
For older asphalt shingle and granulated cap sheet roofs, use a stiff brush to remove all loose granules and surface elements.

APPLICATION:
Install Eternabond RoofSeal by gradually peeling away the plastic release liner while rubbing the RoofSeal into the surface.

Hint: prevent bubbles under the product by using your hand to squeegee out air by wiping your hand towards the roll as you set the tape to the surface.

Overlap RoofSeal from the repair area to a good area by a minimum of 2 inches. Overlap RoofSeal to RoofSeal seams by a minimum of 2 inches.

Important: Use a roller to activate the MicroSealant and permanently set RoofSeal to the surface.

SPECIFICATIONS:
Adhesion: > 9 lbs per inch of width
Elongation: >500%
Tensile Strength: 4500 +/- 500 PSI
Application Temperature with no Primer: 40F to >+150F
Application Temp. with Optional EternaPrime: -25F to +40F
Operating Temperature: -70F to >+200F
Sag Temperature: >200F.
Low Temperature Flexibility: 1/2" radius at -30 degrees F
Pliability: No cracks in membrane
Shelf Life: Up to 5 years
Manufacturers Warranty: 10 Years

COMPOSITION:
Eternabond RoofSeal utilizes Eternabond's advanced MicroSealant technology. It features a 100% solids proprietary formulation of synthetic resins, thermoplastics and non-curing rubber (not butyl) and a built-in primer. The MicroSealant is bonded to a tough UV staple backing. The facing side of the MicroSealant is then covered by an easily removed plastic release liner.

INSTALLATION TOOLS: The tools below are suggested and will make easy work of this!

All suggestions for cleaning and installation will be appreciated, Thank you, Bob
Old 10-13-2005, 01:41 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">SURFACE PREPARATION:
The surfaces to be sealed must be clean, dry and free of loose rust, scale, dust, talc and dirt. Any oil, grease, silicone or other contaminates should be first removed with a suitable solvent/cleaner. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob&Pat, the mfr's statement above says it all. I've heard of some people using a clean towel damp with mineral spirits to wipe down the area where the tape will be applied. And some others had followed that with a wipe of window glass cleaner.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

When I did ours with Eternabond I first went over the area with course steelwool. Then wiped the area with acetone. Next apply the Eternabond. Don't let the Eternabond touch any place where you don't want it, as it sticks now and is a job to remove. If you use acetone don't let it drip down the sides. Don't soak your rag with it, just moisten.

&gt;All suggestions for cleaning and installation will be appreciated, Thank you, Bob

2000 Itasca 35U
Old 10-13-2005, 08:38 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Dicor is mostly used on rubber roofs.

For a listing of Winnebago's recommend sealants for you Itasca see Winnebago's website.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 09:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Have you asked Winnebago if your eternalbond repair affects your 10 year roof warranty???
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 10:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

No I didn't ask about the warrenty, but then I never expert them to honor it, since I'm the second owner.

Seattle, WA
Old 10-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I did talk to Winnie reps at the GNR this summer about applying Eternabond, which I had already done. Of course Winnie did not record this in stone for me, but there answer was, Winnebago does not warranty the seam for 10 years (this is the owners responsible to check and repair) , as long as the roof does not fail from water getting in at the seams the roof warranty is good. The 10 year roof warranty does not cover roof problems caused by water entering the seam if you use the recommended caulk either.

2000 Itasca 35U
Old 10-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Ten-Year Limited Roof Warranty only covers original purchaser, since we are the second owner we have no warranty.

"Kemlite Company, Inc. provides this warranty on its Filon Brand Roof Panel Products (the "panels") for the benefit of the original purchaser only of each new Winnebago Industries Inc. unit built on or after the effective date on this warranty."
Old 10-16-2005, 06:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Do people believe it's nessary to re-caulk before putting on eternal-bond tape? It would save me a lot of time, plus it's hard to find a couple of days with sun and no rain up here in Seattle this time of year.

Seattle, WA
Old 10-16-2005, 02:21 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I do not plan to re-caulk before applying Eternabond,

The website I mention in my first post has a installation video you can download.

My plan is to clean rough up the area a bit with steel wool or light sanding, the video says, "to score the surface with a sanding sponge, scotch bright pad or sanding cloth, and clean the surface with Lacquer Thinner or Acetone". The Eternabond was shipped Thursday, October 13, 2005 from Arizona and should arrive at my house via UPS Wednesday October 19, 2005. It is suppose to be in the 70's according to the weather channel here in southeast Michigan on Wednesday and mid 60's Thursday.

Thought about the installation last night and did not like the idea of working off two ladders or having my wife or me on the roof and the other on a ladder. Then I remembered I had a 24' Aluminum Plank scaffold that is 14" wide and rated for 500 pounds, mounted to my Cantilever Boat Hoist in the back yard that I use as a "catwalk" on the waterside of the hoist to access the other side of my boat. It was tied in place to my cantilever extensions and it just took me about a half and hour to remove it. It only weighs about 120 pounds so I can drag it around to the front yard.

I will use my 10' stepladder on one end of the 24' scaffold and will buy or borrow a 7' or 8' stepladder on the other end of the scaffold. I plan to place the scaffold off the ground about 5 1/2' to 6', this would put us at eye level to the gutter. I will place this in the center of our 65' lot and be able to do half the 36' motorhome and move it, the motorhome, once to finish the driver's side. Turn the motorhome around and do the passenger side.

I have read other posts that say it takes about 3 hours to complete, we will see how long it takes us. My wife and I have caulked this roof 3 times since we purchased our motorhome in October 2003. The original owner had it for less than a year and took it on three trips, it had 8,000 miles on it when we bought it, and we now have 24,000 miles. I read about the Eternabond in 2003 but hesitated thinking I would have to cut the 4" wide roll in two 2" wide strips. I used a Patch of Eternabond to fix a slow leak at the top of the side of the fresh water tank and it was difficult to cut so when I recently found the 2" wide Eternabond and it was time to inspect and caulk again I ordered the Eternabond.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:47 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Bob & Pat,
I bought my Eternal Bond from the same place you did and got thier CD with the movies. It mostly shows the tape being installed on buildings. The tape is sitting in my garage waiting for me to have a open day to work on the RV. Hopefully next weekend.

Hope your installation goes well let us know, and I will do the same.

Seattle, WA
Old 10-17-2005, 02:49 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

There is no need to re-caulk as the Eternabond will cover the caulk area completely. Take your time and do a good surface prep before applying the Eternabond. Take your time installing the Eternabond so you get a nice smooth application. Only peel a foot or so at a time of the backing as you apply. Be careful not to stretch the Eternabond as you apply it. Don't let the sticky side touch any place you don't want it, it's a job to remove.

2000 Itasca 35U
Old 10-19-2005, 09:41 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

rvcarpenter, double check your rolls of eternabond I was all ready today, Wednesday and received my UPS shipment from bestmaterials.com Copperstate Roofing Supply and they shipped the wrong material. I received 2 rolls of DS-2-50 the DoubleStick instead of the 2 rolls of RSW-2-50 with the White "single stick tape "ETERNABOND ROOFSEAL WHITE". I called them right away and they are shipping today the correct material.

They did send it Second Day Air UPS and I should receive it Friday.

The 24' scaffold works great, I was cleaning the first section when the UPS truck arrived at 2:00pm. I hope the weather is good when I receive the next shipment.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:10 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Bob & Pat,
Thanks I will check, I haven't looked real close since I got it and I was going to put it in the freezer tonight so I could cut it tomorrow so I'll check tonight before I put it in the freezer. I have 2 8 foot step ladders and a couple of 2x8's I was going to use as a scafford, just hope I don't walk off it. I probally won't get to my project for another week or so, too many things going on this weekend with the kids.

Seattle, WA