Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Troubleshooting Stalls 2001 Adventurer 35U

Our 2001 Adventurer 35U cranks fine but surges a little. Then after I rev the gas pedal...the rpm drops out and the engine stalls. Fuel filter? Pump? Fuel lines? Gas/ it's been sitting for 3 months. I realize now that that is not good. These vehicles are made to be used... I'm not a mechanic. We have a beach trip in 2 weeks.
MB1811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:07 AM   #2
Site Team

I would recommend doing these three things first:
  1. Check under the hood for rodent damage to the wiring.
  2. Get a code reader or get it to an auto parts store and read the error code(s).
  3. If no code is present, then replace the fuel filter.
After this, I would get it to a mechanic.
Good luck; Eagle5
Old 08-21-2022, 09:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm no expert but two easy things are a leaking or disconnected vacuum line and, as you suggest, the fuel filter. I'm with Eagle5 on getting to a mechanic after checking the simple things. Whatever you do, don't take it to an RV dealer, find a good, independent, truck repair shop.

It will help future responders to know that, according to the brochure, the 2001 Adventurer 35U came only with a Ford 6.8 Triton V-10 chassis. Later models came with an optional Workhorse chassis.

While you're waiting, you might want to add a signature block similar to Eagle5's and mine that gives all the relevant information on your MH. It will help with future posts in case you forget to mention it. It would also be helpful to add at least a general location to your profile since some problems/solutions can be weather related (temperature, humidity, etc.) and it will help us with repair shop recommendations. Both can be done via the User CP in the toolbar.

You might also want to check out the Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum on IRV2.com, a Winnieowners' sister site. You may find a relevant post there.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1811 View Post
Our 2001 Adventurer 35U cranks fine but surges a little. Then after I rev the gas pedal...the rpm drops out and the engine stalls. Fuel filter? Pump? Fuel lines? Gas/ it's been sitting for 3 months. I realize now that that is not good. These vehicles are made to be used... I'm not a mechanic. We have a beach trip in 2 weeks.
2001 Adventurer 35U
Ford F53 Chassis

F550 V10
Old 08-23-2022, 08:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Ended up being a blocked Mass Air Flow Sensor...mud dauber clog. LOL
Old 08-24-2022, 05:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Nice that it was simple. Did it show up as an OBDII code?

I bought a Scangauge for my 2002 35U which gives me a lot of information, mpg, etc. in addition to codes in realtime. It lives most of the time in my 2005 Ford Econoline van but is easy to move to my MH since it simply plugs into the OBDII port. They're not too expensive at about $160 for the Scangauge II.

Enjoy your trip and your 35U, which I think has one of the best floor plans that Winnebago has ever produced.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Yes. Also, the ticking was a failing alternator...but still under warranty. always something going on. I may be a shadetree tech in time!! hahaha

Tags
vent, adventurer