Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-13-2021, 07:21 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Residential fridge latch question

I have read a lot of great info on Residential fridges on here. I want to switch myself. One thing I have not seen and maybe overlooked, how do you all lock the doors from swinging open while driving down the road? How hard is it to swap out? Is this a DIY or a shop job ? Thank you.
CSGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSGibson View Post
I have read a lot of great info on Residential fridges on here. I want to switch myself. One thing I have not seen and maybe overlooked, how do you all lock the doors from swinging open while driving down the road? How hard is it to swap out? Is this a DIY or a shop job ? Thank you.
Ours came with a knob, that screwed in and kept the doors shut, but there are better options, including the one YGoHom did that’s a simple latch he made. It’s the best solution I’ve seen. The image is HIS invention, not mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F7F3AF69-1A2A-4BDD-8B96-2AAFFB8E90BD.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	177741  
Old 03-13-2021, 07:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks. Not sure what I am looking at as far as a door lock but appreciate the info !
CSGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 10:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Refrigerator latch

The latch just screws into existing holes, and pivots away for the doors to open, then pivot to hold doors closed. Easy and effective.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6CE7F524-8C9D-438A-A8BB-F9F093C2A139.jpeg
Views:	121
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	177757  
Old 03-13-2021, 10:24 PM   #5
Site Team

Ours has the exact same plastic latches as our cabinet drawers. They are installed (OEM) at the tops of each door. They are out of sight and latch just like every drawer in the RV. For the freezer drawer there is a small fold down arm that’s attached to one of the doors. We have a three door “French Door” style fridge.
Old 03-13-2021, 11:14 PM   #6

If you can use YgoHome's latch that seams like a real winner. Plus it looks very easy to install. ...So long as the back nut does not cause any problems.

My refrigerator door(s) for example do not have much separation between them. So the I built a screw-in door latch that has proven to work very well with my 2-Door residential frig. (Go with course threads for faster tightening.)

* And you need to drill a hole and epoxy the female thread. I don't have a picture of these counter-sunk thread, but I can tell you it has sharp teeth around the barrel.

And I recommend buying a large plastic spin-knob.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180717_160511.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	177759   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180820_163214.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	177760  

Name:	Refrigerator Screw-Stop.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	177761  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:20 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

https://www.recubed.solutions/

This has worked great on our residential French door fridge. Used now for about 5 years. Easy to install- about 5 minutes
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 09:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Ours has the exact same plastic latches as our cabinet drawers. They are installed (OEM) at the tops of each door. They are out of sight and latch just like every drawer in the RV. For the freezer drawer there is a small fold down arm that’s attached to one of the doors. We have a three door “French Door” style fridge.
As stated and works well. Been on some twisty-turny roads and never had the doors come open. You can get those drawer latches at Fastenal...well, I did but it may be a local thing.

Amazon has them also. Search on RV Drawer Latches & Catches.

Put the latch on before sliding the refer in or you will not get to the screws.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 08:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

If I remember, I'll take a picture tomorrow.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 09:46 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
The latch just screws into existing holes, and pivots away for the doors to open, then pivot to hold doors closed. Easy and effective.
I like that it’s RED too. That way I notice when I forget to lock it OR, I can just turn my head around from the captains chair and see if DW locked it or not...
Old 03-21-2021, 04:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Watching...
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 04:45 PM   #12
DNC
2016 Journey 36M

I have a residential fridge in my 2016 Journey that has the freezer on the bottom. The fridge door magnetic seals are strong enough to prevent the doors from opening when going do the road. There's a metal latch on the freezer door to keep it from sliding open when your traveling.
DNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:17 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Residential Fridge lock

Our 2015 Suncruiser came with a replacement residential refrigerator WITHOUT a lock and the doors and freezer drawer came open at the first right hand turn! Someone in a forum recommended the Fridge Fixer. It's inexpensive, has models for all types of fridges, works with existing screw holes, and is super easy to install! Just Google "The Fridge Fixer Origanal" to find the website. If I can find the link on this phone, I'll post it. I believe Amazon carries it. I recommended it to my sister-in-law when she had a residential fridge installed and she loves it! And she installed it herself. We 70+ young ladies are resourceful!! Hope this helps.
Happy Sunny Cruiser
shaneotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:29 PM   #14
DHE
Winnebago Camper

We just use a short bungee cord and wrap it around both handles. Never a problem and least inspensive way I would say.
DHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:11 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Refrigerator "Latch"

Like others, we have a residential fridge with French doors and bottom freezer. The turn down "wing" works fine on the freezer, but with heavy use, averaging 6 months a year in the unit, the factory latch used (like the drawer latches) couldn't tolerate the constant open and close. I first replaced the screws with larger ones because the constant use enlarged the holes. When those failed I tried a couple of alternatives, but finally settled on a "U" shaped piece I made from wood and lined with felt. It simply drops over the top of the two doors and they can't move. The piece is about 14 inches long and the back edge is about a 1/4" thick and only extends down about 3/8" to stay above the gasket. I have a photo somewhere, but couldn't find it and the MH is in storage.
RTrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #16
2014 Tour 42GD

All of the latch ideas are great but how does a person get a large 2 door fridge through the door?
trower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:25 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trower View Post
All of the latch ideas are great but how does a person get a large 2 door fridge through the door?
Many take the doors and hinges off both the RV and the fridge. Measure twice before attempting to enter.

Other than that people usually take out a side window or drivers side window and come in through the opening. If you have a cracked windshield when you have that replaced would be the ideal time to do this job, too.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
YGoHom: I love your idea for the door latch and your refrigerator looks very similar to the 10.1 cu ft one I installed in mine. Did you build this yourself from premachined over the counter parts or design it and machine the parts? The only part that has me curious is if the base plate and perpendicular actuator holder plate are welded or if the whole piece was cut from a block on a mill? Also interested in where you got the red plastic covers?

Jim
jimkamery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:05 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by trower View Post
Everytime I have seen it done, it has either been through the front window or through the removed slideout.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:30 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

It can be very hard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSGibson View Post
CSGibson: I switched out my old Norcold about 2 years ago and it wound up being a month long project on weekends. I have attached a picture of the completed install and you can see there is an existing drawer underneath and there is a lot of the electrical stuff under there. I added a 1200W PSW inverter for the fridge underneath and had to build a very sturdy base for it to sit on and ultimately used 2 lag bolts to fasten the back base of the refrigerator to the new wood base in the RV. I wound up making the opening 5-1/2" taller for the new fridge and I went as high as I could with the top and wound up taking a half inch on the bottom for the new one to fit. Side to side and front to back was a tight fit, but it went in. I had to take the doors off to be able to get it past the countertop to put it in position to slide it in. All in all, it was a pain in the butt, but so happy it is done. Went from a 6 cu ft Norcold to a 10.1 cu ft residential.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190526_204814.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	177981