Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-20-2007, 05:30 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi all

I did some searching and found some older info on how to replace headlight bulbs on other coaches but can someone enlighten me on how to do this on a 2004 Journey? I see two screws above the assembly that seem difficult to reach. Do I remove these?

Also, what's the current thinking on the best replacement bulbs for night driving?

Many thanks

Simon

22ft TPD Trailer
Slowdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 05:30 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi all

I did some searching and found some older info on how to replace headlight bulbs on other coaches but can someone enlighten me on how to do this on a 2004 Journey? I see two screws above the assembly that seem difficult to reach. Do I remove these?

Also, what's the current thinking on the best replacement bulbs for night driving?

Many thanks

Simon

22ft TPD Trailer
Old 02-20-2007, 06:00 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

While I'm not familiar with the bulb replacement procedure for your particular rig, I can highly recommend Sylvania Silverstar bulbs if they are available for your light assembly. I use them whenever I can on my vehicles and they are great lights.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:37 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You don't have to take out the assembly. Just give the bulb/socket about a quarter turn CCW and it comes right out of the assembly.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Had a bulb burn out on my Journey. Winnebago dealer tried conventional replacement and could not get to the bulb. Don't undo the screws - it won't get you there. I finally was able to change the bulb by reaching behind the carrier and twisting and getting the bulb and carrier out with my finger tips and that was the easy part. I had to pry the light forward with a board between light and fiberglass front to generate a little space. After many frustrating tries I was able to insert and twist the new bulb and carrier into place. As you know, there is no room to get behind the lamp. Winnebago dealer said they would proably have to release the fiberglass nose - a major job. See posts on replacing Journey heater core.
jbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hi Tom

Many thanks but my question is really related to how do I get the plastic lens cover off to be able to get to the bulbs.

Hi Jbowers

Many thanks but I'm not trying to replace the whole assembly just the bulbs. Do I need to remove the whole headlamp assembly for that or does just the lens come off? I can see what looks like a metal retaining clip but am reluctant to force anything and then have to take it to the dealer with a broken headlight.

Has no-one changed the bulb themselves?

Thanks again

Simon

can be popped out by prising it from behind? From looking at the

22ft TPD Trailer
Old 02-20-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Guess I didn't 'splain that very well. You can't get to the bulb from the front, it comes out the back of the assembly. I didn't actually have to change mine, but one was only partially in it's socket and I had to reach down inside the front cap and twist it into position.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The lamp assembly is a sealed unit and the lens cannot be removed without cutting the assembly apart. The clips you see do nothing if you pry them off. I got a quote from Winnebago dealer for new assembly - forget the exact number but was quite a bit more than $100. The assembly is solidly attached and I could not see a way to loosen it. I just struggled and struggled until I was able to get the lamp and carrier out and back in and turned to lock. Turning the lamp carrier was not the big problem. The difficulty came when I tried to extract the carrier and bulb and just did not have enough space behind the assembly to get the bulb out. It was harder to get the carrier back in.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I never was able to get to the bulb from the front. Had to reach torturiously up behind the assembly(which I had pried out a little) to grasp and turn the bulbcarrier. I had to do by feel). The assembly appears to be two pieces but it is fused or glued together and I could see no easy was to remove it.
Old 02-27-2007, 08:30 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Yikes, sounds like a lot of effort and a poor design if you can't change something that you'd expect to be replaceable. Thanks for all the help.

22ft TPD Trailer
Old 11-10-2007, 10:54 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
I can highly recommend Sylvania Silverstar bulbs if they are available for your light assembly. I use them whenever I can on my vehicles and they are great lights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 02 Itasca Horizon. I noticed you have an 02 Journey. I think it has the same round 7" headlamp - Winny part "Headlamp ASM-HL, RD 134625-02-000". Is there a better headlamp than the stock? Mine are very dim. The bra doesn't help, I know, but I want to keep the bra on. Let me know. BTW, to replace this bulb, the entire lamp needs to be removed - it is not a screw in bulb type? Thanks, Jeff.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jhanan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by smlranger:
I can highly recommend Sylvania Silverstar bulbs if they are available for your light assembly. I use them whenever I can on my vehicles and they are great lights. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

02 Itasca Horizon. Round 7" headlamp - Winny part "Headlamp ASM-HL, RD 134625-02-000". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. I just found this on the Silverstar website: H6024 SilverStar Sealed Beam Headlight
High Performance Halogen Sealed Beam Headlight - Dual filament for both high beam and low beam - part number: H6024ST

Looks like a 7" headlamp (7.03"). Will it work as a Winny after market replacement?

http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/sylvania/ProductBrow...artNo=%20ST,%20%20ST
Old 11-11-2007, 12:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

If you really want the best lamp available, check THIS. I have used both these 7" and the rectangular lamps in every car and RV that will take them since the late 70's. These lamps have ultra clear ground glass lensing and highly polished mirrors that FAR exceed anything you find at Pep-Boys. They are EXTREMELY bright, even with the stock 55w bulb because of the accuracy of manufacturing. The lensing is so accurate that if set up properly will not bother any oncoming traffic. Both vertical and horizontal cut-offs look like a scrim has been dropped in front of the lamp with almost zero splatter.

I sure wish I could use these again. Man, do I miss them! They ain't cheap. But in this case you get exactly what you pay for.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:04 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jhanan:

02 Itasca Horizon. Round 7" headlamp - Winny part "Headlamp ASM-HL, RD 134625-02-000". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm. I just found this on the Silverstar website: H6024 SilverStar Sealed Beam Headlight
High Performance Halogen Sealed Beam Headlight - Dual filament for both high beam and low beam - part number: H6024ST

Looks like a 7" headlamp (7.03"). Will it work as a Winny after market replacement?

http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/sylvania/ProductBrow...artNo=%20ST,%20%20ST </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't have the item #, but I did replace my stock sealed beam headlights with a brigher replacement made by Silverstar. I believe they were called Extravision???
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't have the item #, but I did replace my stock sealed beam headlights with a brigher replacement made by Silverstar. I believe they were called Extravision??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put in the H6024ST lights - the top lights from Sylvania other than "ultra" which I can not find for the sealed beam 7". The ST is a step up from the Extravision as well. I will start on the other projects - wiring and such.

Thanks, Jeff.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCVJeff:
If you really want the best lamp available, check THIS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I will end up buying this Hella @ $72 ea. or the Cibies $63/ea from Stern lighting. The ST's will get me by for a bit.

From Stern, here he compares the Cibie to the Hella:
"The Cibie produces a much wider beam pattern than the Hella. The 1000
candela line of the Cibie's beam pattern extends from 25 degrees Left to
25 degrees right, while the 1000 candela line of the Hella extends from 18
degrees Left to 20 degrees Right. At a distance of 50 feet from the car,
this means the 1000 candela-and-brighter portion of the Hella's beam is
10.5 feet narrower than that of the Cibie. The 300 cd contour of the
Cibie's pattern is *far* wider, extending from 43 degrees Left to 50
degrees Right, compared to 26 Left to 25 Right for the Hella. This means
the overall useful width of the beam pattern at 25 feet from the car, as
perceived by the driver, will be 40.7 feet for the Cibie and 22.3 feet for
the Hella.

The high beams for these two lamps (isocandela diagrams not yet scanned
in) are very similar in overall performance and amount of light -- the
critical difference is that the Cibie's high beam hot spot is located
closer to (0,0) and closer to its low beam hot spot. The Hella's high beam
and low beam hot spots are separated by a fairly large vertical amount,
such that setting the lows where they belong results in most of the high
beam light going up in the trees, but pulling the high beams down so they
send light straight ahead puts the low beams 10 feet in front of the car."

Since you have used the Hella's, how tight is the beam - do you find that you cannot sometimes see things off on the shoulder of the road (deer, signs) due to the tight beam?

Thanks, Jeff.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:25 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

The ST's will get me by for a bit.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The ST's are a big improvement. Still ajusting the alignment - still too high from the RV shop when they ajusted the old bulbs...and still need to cut out the clear plastic over the lights on the bra too.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:38 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I will end up buying this Hella @ $72 ea. or the Cibies $63/ea from Stern lighting.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, so I bought and installed the Hella H4's off Amazon with "street legal" 55/65W bulbs. I will let you know how they work soon.
Old 12-24-2007, 05:41 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Sorry I didn't reply to your question. I try and scan the lists frequently enough to catch new posts. Usually...

I see you bought the Hellas! You won't be disappointed. I had one set of Cibe's and never liked them. You'll be amazed at the accuracy of this fixture with respect to glare and splatter. I ran the high power lamps for years in a car and never had anyone flash me. But MAN, it's bright on the pavement!

Happy Holidays & have some Rudy's for me...

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

The low beam on the driver's side of our 2004 Journey burned out while travelling to Yuma.

I tried to change it myself, but I could not get my 70 year old and 250 body in the proper position to do the job ... I stopped at a nearby automotive repair shop here in Yuma ... a 20 something thin and limber young man came out ... slithered his upper torso up into the open area in front of the tire and had the bulb out in a minute ... after getting a new bulb he had it back in place in a couple of minutes ... no prying and no bad words ...

<span class="ev_code_RED"> I thought I should post this because earlier reports indicated that this was an extremely difficult task </span>
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote