Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-09-2023, 07:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Remove a 32" LCD TV from 2012 Vista 26P

So sorry I have to post this but I can not fine a post on this issue.

Have a 32" LCD Tv in the front over head. I want to replace it with a smart Tv, but cannot figure out how to remove it.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.
Ace66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 08:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We have a parts catalog that can be a great help as it is interactive and we can look behind things to see how they might be put together!
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

It then has to be some guessing at times, but what I think may be found is a panel screwed/bolted to the rear of the TV which then slips down over four "fingers" mounted to the RV.
Big question may be if the TV is left free to lift up and off the finger attachments or is there some "secret" holding it from lifting up? Sorry can't help with that last part but maybe seeing what it shows can help with ideas?
Click these snips to get a better view or go direct for the "big picture".
From the cabinet drawings. spot the four fingers?
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	187799
Two different views from the electrical parts drawings.

Name:	tv2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	187800

Name:	tv3.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	187801

Maybe try lifting to see how much it wiggles?
Best of luck on the chase!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 09:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

After looking at the bracket, it looks like I would have to come up with another bracket for the new TV. Maybe more of a job then I want to tackle.
Looks like the bracket was designed for the original flat screen.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Team

Why not just get a Roku or Apple TV, etc and connect that to your existing HDMI cable.

The "Smart TVs" are many times locked into that brand's specific apps and you don't have as much freedom to add the channels you want.

We use Roku on all of our RV TVs. They are not expensive to buy, work great and are easy to hide.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Actually we were buying a ROKU TV, but that still don't solve the issue of getting the old one out.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:47 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace66 View Post
After looking at the bracket, it looks like I would have to come up with another bracket for the new TV.
Probably not. Winnebago loves to custom make their own TV mounts, BUT TV's have a universal mounting system on their back (VESA Mounts). So, the Winnebago mount on your Vista has to attach to the standard TV mounts on the back of the TV.

So, generally (!), what ever TV you purchase will match up with the Winnebago OEM mount. There are times when going to a different sized TV can make a difference in mounts - but those are few and far between and VESA mount adapters should be available in those very few cases.

As to removing the TV? That's something you'll either have to figure out or find someone with a 2012 Vista 26P that has also removed their TV to come along and answer.

I can tell you from experience, sometimes the OEM mount is either screwed down from below or behind. In those cases there should be a space under the TV or behind the TV. If it's not that and if there is a wooden frame or lip on top of the TV it usually is removable with hidden screws on top. Once removed the TV can be lifted straight up off of the OEM mount's hanger.

None of those suggestions above could be applicable, but we've seen them all here before. Just know, there had to be a way to mount the TV at the factory - they surely added it after the RV was built.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:51 AM   #7
Site Team

Here are a couple of previous threads for Removing TVs off of a Vista RV.

None of them are your year, or your exact model, but may give you a clue:

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...al-354105.html

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...7n-354180.html

https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...al-343358.html
Old 11-09-2023, 10:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I found the two bottom screws that the third diagram shows, but don't know where the top screws are located.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:30 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

I have found that the screws that mount a Winnebago bracket to a TV are in standardized locations, however input cable locations can be located anywhere. I had to modify my Winnebago bracket to allow the HDMI and power cables to plug into the new TV.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2023, 06:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Looking at the diagrams, I would not expect to remove the bracket from the TV first. I think of the system more as a bracket of some sort which is screwed to the TV then set on another metal piece which has been mounted to the RV. I see that second metal part as being the four "fingers" which are shown as sticking up. I would expect the metal bracket on the TV to have been set down on those metal fingers, then some form of screw or fitting added to hold the tv and bracket from jumping up and off those fingers as we drive.
That was what prompted me to ask if the TV would wiggle up and down as you tried to lift it.
Possibly it is just setting on those two metal brackets and lifts off? Or it may be necessary to remove a wooden trim strip from the top and then it would lift?

As mentioned the bracket and mounting to TV is standardized and I would not look at removing the metal from the TV until I got the TV down off the mount attached to the RV.

One suggestion to get more info and possible access, might be to look at how the overhead cabinet is built. Some RV have this area made of a fiberboard which is then simply bowed and snapped into place and others are held with a few staples.
Removing the inside of the cabinet next to the TV may let you get a better look at the back side of things?
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 06:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The VESA mount points are standardized on these flat screen TV's. They are 100mm, 200mm, or 400mm apart in a square pattern based on TV size. For 32", I would expect 200mm. So if you find one screw, measure 200mm to the side and 200mm vertical to find the others. I would expect some sort of mount on the TV that sits on the RV swing out. Since you don't want the TV to fall off the frame if you hit a big bump, there is probably a clip, bolt, machine screw, etc. holding it down. I checked my RV and found 4 bolts visible in 2 slots in the center of the TV in the swing out frame. Those are the VESA attachments 200 mm apart. Remove those 4 bolts and the TV is free.
MDJDCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 07:22 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I removed the bedroom TV in our Winnie Navion 24V. It was on a swivel, not swing-arm, mount using four 200mm-space screws. I replaced it with a 12v HD TV and ran a 12v extension cord to the nearest 12v outlet. We don't use it often, so only plug it in when needed. But we have gotten reception off the antenna several times when dry camping overnight at Flying J and Home Depot. Of course it works just like a 120vac TV when we are in an electric campsite.
Old 11-17-2023, 01:20 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

My front 32" LCD was held in place with a ratcheting nylon come-along where the hooks went to a bolted on bar mounted on the RV's TV frame and a custom made bent aluminum bar bolted to the back of the TV using the mounting holes they all come with.

I removed the plastic shell that covered the bottom of the RV's TV rack, reached up though one of the frame holes, but couldn't get the ratchet to budge...frozen in place, so I just cut the nylon band with a knife. Then replaced it with new after I'd gotten pictures of the rear connectors and plugged in my new stuff.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 11:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
We have a parts catalog that can be a great help as it is interactive and we can look behind things to see how they might be put together!
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

It then has to be some guessing at times, but what I think may be found is a panel screwed/bolted to the rear of the TV which then slips down over four "fingers" mounted to the RV.
Big question may be if the TV is left free to lift up and off the finger attachments or is there some "secret" holding it from lifting up? Sorry can't help with that last part but maybe seeing what it shows can help with ideas?
Click these snips to get a better view or go direct for the "big picture".
From the cabinet drawings. spot the four fingers?
Attachment 187799
Two different views from the electrical parts drawings.
Attachment 187800
Attachment 187801

Maybe try lifting to see how much it wiggles?
Best of luck on the chase!
Looking at the bottom diagram, I easily can remove the two bottom screws. But the two bolts I have tried with a rachet and socket to loosen them with not luck. What did they do use an IMPACT WRENCH. LOL. The two bolts I a trying are 9/16".
Old 11-18-2023, 11:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

There are battery tools that do have an impact setting so that is quite possibly what happened when the installer forgot to change the setting to just normal screw driver.

Could you post a picture of your setup? That might help get a clear answer for your situation.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2023, 07:36 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

FINALLY got tv out

Finally got the old TV down from the mount. Ridiculous, they made the bracket heavy enough to hold an ARMY TANK. They screws were driven in with an IMpact tool. The mounting bracket does not work with a new tv, will have to make some major changes. The material is 3.5 mm steel.

Thanks to everyone who gave me pointers on how to remove it.