Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-03-2022, 08:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rattles in Vista while driving

Does anyone have a rattle when driving, which seems to be coming from the drivers side slide? I have tried the tape thing on the latch, no help. Got the stove topper and it helped. Unfortunately I am the only driver, and my dear hubby is unable to decipher where the rattles come from. The slide and the door drive me crazy.
mudslidemary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 09:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Mary, I think 100% of motorhome drivers have "rattles when driving." It's just something that's unique to each owner and each RV.

Put some grease on the door striker pin to help quiet the door. And on my coach caulking around the lower panel of the screen door helped too. On my coach that metal panel was free floating, so caulking it to the frame around it helped.

Another culprit on my coach is the moveable foot rests on the Rest Easy sofa. The wheels on mine were not uniformly touching the ground and I needed to level them to keep the footrest from rocking side to side.

You might put a towel in your microwave to isolate the glass platter (between the microwave floor and the platter) because this is another constant rattle.

You can get rid of many of the noises... but personally I don't think it's possible to ever get rid of them all.

PS. I moved your question out of that 4-year old thread you had attached it to previously. So, now it is its very own thread. It is always better to start a new thread rather than tack a new question on to a multi-year dormant thread.
Old 03-03-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

2-3 wraps of 1" wide Gorilla tape around the door latch post makes a big difference with the squeaks and rattles from that source . We have a small pillow that we stuff in the microwave that also helps. I think that a lot of the rattle from the driver side slide and the overhead cabinets are due to the doors bouncing open and banging shut. I haven't figured out how to stop that yet. I looked at drawer latches but they'll be really hard to install due the room to work. I tried some velcro strips to try and hold the doors closed but it's not strong enough. Stick on felt pads also didn't help much. Or maybe they didn't help because that's not really the source of the banging.
Old 03-04-2022, 05:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I put a couple of wraps of black electrical tape around the door latch pin to stop the main door rattle. It wears quickly but I just replace when need be.

I put some felt pads on the screen door frame so the latch holds it tight around the outer door to stop that from rattling.

I made some slide lock blocks from 2x4 stock to keep the long passenger slide on the 27N from moving out slightly during travel and starting to make noise. I don't have problems with the short slides moving out during travel.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have a terrible squeak that comes from the slide area. I found that if I run the slide all the way in, then out a tiny bit the squeak goes away - until the next time!

I think it has something to do with the slide seal - I thought of putting vaseline or something similar on it, but have not tried yet.
keithpollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:41 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You name it, we got all kinds of noises in ours Rattles, rumbles, squeaks, banga, whistles...crank up the radio!
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:43 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

rattles in vista

I'm interested in this thread as I have annoying squeaks and rattles. Never thought about the dinette slide being the culprit, thought the squeak was dream dinette related.
f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:52 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithpollard View Post
I thought of putting vaseline or something similar on it, but have not tried yet.
I wouldn't use anything greasy. It will pack up with dust, dirt and grit and give you 10 times the trouble.

Most use baby powder or dry lube. There are specific slide seal lubes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-IN-ONE-...Lube/167031702
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide lub.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	182226  
Old 03-09-2022, 09:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Rattles? I thought every motorhome rattled. If fact, if nothings rattling, I'd be worried that something was seriously wrong. When I was in the Air Force, the HH-53 helicopter was notorious for leaking hydraulic fluid all the time. One of my friends who piloted one told me he didn't worry as long as it was leaking, but worried big-time if it quit because that meant it was out of fluid and they were about to crash!

We have something inside our overhead front cabinets that sounds like a little ball bearing rolling from one side to the other every time we turn. Have never found it, but haven't completely dismantled the cabinets looking for it either. It's just all part of the adventure!
Old 03-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Vista rattles

We have had rattles since day one. The over head drop down bed is number one. Number 2 is the lower edge of the fold out couch, and number 3 is the stove cover. We place a towel under the stove cover and couch bottom and have tried several things on the drop down bed, but still rattles.
Jdhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 06:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hi if your thinking all that noise is coming from your slide I highly suggest you watch this video from Lippert. I lubricated my slide exactly like this when the side of my rig began driving me crazy and it made a huge difference .https://youtu.be/gXw9I_DoAvI
TonyOIB is offline   Reply With Quote