Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2023, 01:46 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

One year anniversary of our 18 month road trip and we take one on the chin!

On the eve of our one year of continuous travel across the US and Canada, we met a gravel truck going the other way on 17 between Ignace and Marathon. He was traveling way too fast and we got hit by a 1/2" rock at the base of the windshield. Combined speed must have been close to 200 kph! Sounded like we got shot! Could have been a lot worse, but we even had glass inside the coach and two ever growing cracks.
Will be a challenge to get it fixed here and won't be at former home base until mid-September. Makes me so sad...
Absolute shame and bummer! Otherwise, it was another flawless day...
Safe travels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230801_122828.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	368.4 KB
ID:	186848   Click image for larger version

Name:	20230801_122840.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	255.6 KB
ID:	186849  

Name:	20230801_122843.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	310.2 KB
ID:	186850  
Old 08-01-2023, 03:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, that was between Nipigon and Marathon...they all run together at this point...
Old 08-03-2023, 05:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Sad to see that, hope it doesn't get in the way too much till you can find someone to replace the windshield, Let us know how you end up handling this. I have a fear of what to do in a similar situation,
Old 08-04-2023, 07:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

When you call the insurance company ask them for a repair place for the windshield. When I had a cracked windshield they gave me a list of places around me to get it repaired.

Good luck/
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 12:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

That might require a new windshield. I think the determining factor is, if it's in the field of view of the driver the glass must be replaced.
That ding and cracks are way too big for a spot repair. I think the rule of thunb is, if it cannot be covered with a quarter, it cannot be patched. I agree with wayne it's time to call the insurance co.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:55 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yep, we knew the window was toast as soon as we got hit. Thank God it hit right at the base where the dashboard is behind the windshield. Otherwise it might have gone right through and seriously injured or killed someone.
We called the insurance company when we got to the next campground. With Progressive, only a $375 deductible so really good.
It takes 2 - 3 weeks to get a windshield. Then they need two days for the install. We're only at the campgrounds we have booked for the rest of the trip 2 - 5 days so would take a complete change of itinerary. Add to that we'll be in Canada and whatever issues that will cause, we decided we would wait until we landed back in PA. It would take a miracle to arrive where we were at on time and I can see us having to hang out for an extended period of time.
The consensus seems to be that we'll be OK until then, though it is disconcerting to see the cracks growing...
They appear to be only on the glass in the middle of the sandwich between the two outer shells.
One tip we got was to use clear Gorilla Grip tape to cover the damaged areas. You can see through it and it works better than duct tape.
We'll always carry it with us now.
Please keep us in your prayers!
Safe travels!
Old 08-06-2023, 02:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I would have just used (and have) clear packing tape. You can see through it and it's really strong in the long direction. Then I'd have used a 1/16th inch carbide bit to drill into the glass at the end of the crack. I have a set of them. But, the crack I had, never grew after I put the tape on it so I never bothered to drill it.

Oh, I see you switched to clear tape. Never mind.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 05:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Marathon might be the biggest little town for repairs . Several garages and NAPA shop there . We stayed at the city park with full hookup . Canadian Legion has a wing night on Thursday .
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 06:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Auto-Owners just replaced my driver's side windshield with no cost to me. (Florida)
Old 08-06-2023, 09:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Similar incident happened to us a few years ago in New Brunswick. We were able to schedule a repair at a windshield shop on PEI. It took almost 3 weeks for the windshield to be shipped to PEI which was on our itinerary. We wound up doing the laundry while they installed the windshield. We were lucky inthat we have an older Brave (2000) with a 2-piece windshield. The shop did a great job and we were on our way in a day. Insurance covered the windshield, shipping from the US, and installation. My cost was $500 deductible. If you plan to be in Canada for the next 3-4 weeks I would think you can get it done before you move on.
delhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 03:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I drove the motor home to the Glass Pro Shop in Tallahassee and my insurance (Auto-Owners) paid the entire cost.

Old 08-07-2023, 03:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Not sure what the rules are for other states. But in Florida, the insurance company has to install the full windshield with no deductible. We have had a number of windshield\s replaced on Cars and RVs. Never any charge, including USAA and Progressive.

Where I am not clear if this is for Florida residents, or people who are registered in another state, but have the accident in Florida. We always received a windshield which fit perfectly.

Sorry to hear about the almost very serious accident.
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:10 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataway4 View Post
Not sure what the rules are for other states. But in Florida, the insurance company has to install the full windshield with no deductible. We have had a number of windshield\s replaced on Cars and RVs. Never any charge, including USAA and Progressive.

Where I am not clear if this is for Florida residents, or people who are registered in another state, but have the accident in Florida. We always received a windshield which fit perfectly.

Sorry to hear about the almost very serious accident.

we purchase a car in florida and had the windshield cracked by a passing truck and had to have it replace before returning to La. the state trooper said we could not drive on the hwy with it crack
Old 08-27-2023, 07:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Scotty B, as you are completing your adventure have you had anymore spark plug wire issues? I have a 2022 Adventure 29b with 10,000 miles on it now. I have needed to replace 4 plug wires so far. Just wondering how many miles and how many plug wires you’ve needed so far. Thanks Mr. Miller
Mr Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 12:27 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Hi Mr. Miller:
Yes, we had another issue a few weeks back - again in middle of nowhere - Stonecliffe, Ontario right as we left our campground.
Kind of a funny story - now!
I drove 15K or so to Deep River where there was a Canadian Tire. Did not want to help, but told me about a NAPA store just down the road. They could not help, but ran a scan and told me it was cylinder #7.
I had all 8 wires replaced the first time, though only 3 and 8 were misfiring.
I did keep all eight, but did not mark the two bad ones!
We were about three hours to Ottawa and our next campground. I had watched the guy replace the original 8 and had experience removing the dog house, so I decided to give it a shot - no other options - in spite of never having changed a spark plug wire before.
I picked the three best looking wires from the original eight and asked the wife to pick the lucky one.
Was not too bad getting the bad one off, though not much room for my arm and the end on the plug was a little sticky.
I struggled for an hour trying to the end on the plug, before realizing there were three "posts" sticking out, not just two. I had been trying to get the end on middle one that was not the plug! I kept reminded myself of Einstein's Law of Insanity, but did pay any heed to it! Once I found the plug, it went on quickly and the top was a breeze. 4 bandages later we fired that mother up and away we went.
Interestingly, the error code cleared itself the next leg of our adventure.
I have a scanner now and 7 wires of which 5 are good. Hope I don't need them.
I have service scheduled for October at a Ford Truck Center and asked them to do the work as per the TSB, though that is not supposed to apply to my model.
The odometer is still in K's, but I am around 13,500 miles.
Saved again but the Grace of God and kindness of strangers.
Will add this to my post on the wires as an FYI.
I think if I have the same issue after the work in October, it will be time to sell the rig and see about compensation from Ford - it's way to stressful and the PTSD lasts for a while afterwards...
Good luck and safe travels!
Old 08-31-2023, 02:00 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Scott, an old very trusted mechanic told me a few years ago to always use 8mm spark plug wires on General Motors engines. I did as told for the 454 cid engine and it certainly benefited me. They don't leak as badly as the 7mm wires.
Old 10-22-2023, 09:48 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Looking beautiful once again and ready for the Grand Adventure Part 2!
Old 10-24-2023, 08:10 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Pic from first stop on the new adventure...Luray, VA. Used to be the KOA, now Spacious Skies. No dramas crossing the border or driving with the damaged windshield. Hope this one lasts a bit longer!
Safe travels!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20231024_093301.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	307.7 KB
ID:	187645