Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-05-2023, 12:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

No power from chassis 2013 Vista 27N solution

Just for your info,
I lost power in Oragon 2 years ago, i was all set up and reasy to go. no power to slides or stater.Foud a guy in washington todrive down and troubleshoot, finally, On this winnebago vista 27n 2013. He found that the main cable to the front fuse box under hood was, well there was a build up ofa clear dry stuff between the connector and the stub on the fuse box. unseen untill the cable was removed. Tricky, because the cable end showed power but no power to the stud. thought i would share this
jlcole1740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:16 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the tip. Bad and/or intermittent electrical connections can be very hard to find. Some people go around once a year and tighten up every connection that they can find.
Bones2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It takes years and years to get the best practices down and it never seems to end as things change so often.
One of the big things lacking in the current repair situation is a result of how we now train folks. When I first started as a green new guy, we were paired with an older guy or crew and never moved out of that until we got enough senority to get the next job up the ladder.
You often did not get into the complex stuff until you did the simple stuff!

Just before I officially "retired" from that job, they switched up the way we moved from one job to another and stopped using senority/experience as the primary factor.
They started testing scores and degrees as the primary things for changing jobs and it was a disaster!
I had been on my job title 12 years and felt well trained but found that I needed to pass a test to qualify??
The problem was that the person writing the test had never done the job in the field and had no idea what to ask! The test had things like what plug in unit was to the right of some other unit? The kicker was that nobody memorized that info as the shelf was labeled. When you wanted to know where to put a transmit unit, you put it in the slot labeled transmit!
So what they got was replacing a bunch of crusty old guys who knew how to fix things and replaced them with clerk/typist sorts who could memorize a book!
You don't find how to chase wires on an RV in study hall!

So I spent the last few years of that job, going around to train them on basics. Things like, "don't stick your finger in a hot radiator to find check the coolant level after a generator run"!
Wait until the fan stops moving before testing the belt tension!
In a lot of cases HOW you do things is just as important as WHAT you do!

Old hats will know that when you test a connection, you should test on the lug or post and also on the cable as a way to spot the poor connections that we find so often!

If you find 12.8 on the battery post and only 10.6 on the cable end attached to that post, you need to stop right there and fix that part before moving on!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, chassis