Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-06-2005, 05:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We are trying to decide between buying either a 2006 Journey 36G for $156,000 [75% of MSRP], or a 2005 Journey 39F for $159,000 [73.9% of MSRP]. Both have the 350hp & 6 sp transmission, both have the 7,500 KW diesel generators and 2,000KW inverters. Both have full body paint and 4 door refrigerators.

I kind of like the 39F because of the full closet across the back. Are there many restriction on parking in camp grounds by being 39 feet versus 36 feet? Have there been any significant improvements between 2005 and 2006 models?

Alternatively we are also looking at a 2005 Adventurer 38J (which has basically the same floor plan as the Journey 39F except for the closet across the back. We are looking at a cost of about $129,000 which is about 78.8% of MSRP [I think I can still get that price a little lower]. It has a 300 watt inverter and a 5,500 watt generator.

My question is should I spend the extra $30,000 for the diesel pusher? We live in the midwest but really only want to buy one motor home and keep it for a long time. I don't retire for another 7 years, so we will not do a bunch of long distance traveling until then.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 05:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We are trying to decide between buying either a 2006 Journey 36G for $156,000 [75% of MSRP], or a 2005 Journey 39F for $159,000 [73.9% of MSRP]. Both have the 350hp & 6 sp transmission, both have the 7,500 KW diesel generators and 2,000KW inverters. Both have full body paint and 4 door refrigerators.

I kind of like the 39F because of the full closet across the back. Are there many restriction on parking in camp grounds by being 39 feet versus 36 feet? Have there been any significant improvements between 2005 and 2006 models?

Alternatively we are also looking at a 2005 Adventurer 38J (which has basically the same floor plan as the Journey 39F except for the closet across the back. We are looking at a cost of about $129,000 which is about 78.8% of MSRP [I think I can still get that price a little lower]. It has a 300 watt inverter and a 5,500 watt generator.

My question is should I spend the extra $30,000 for the diesel pusher? We live in the midwest but really only want to buy one motor home and keep it for a long time. I don't retire for another 7 years, so we will not do a bunch of long distance traveling until then.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 08-06-2005, 08:46 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not sure how much room you will need or want so that will factor heavily in your decision. We started with a gasser and moved quickly to a diesel...a 36G Journey...and don't regret the decision.

The Adventurer is very nice but a 38ft. gas MH will not have the cargo capacity, towing capacity or the air ride, heavy frame, etc. that comes with a diesel.

Like you, I won't be able to retire for another 7 - 8 years but we decided to move to diesel now and enjoy it. Not sure how much room you want or need...the 36' is fine for the 2 of us and seems to be a good size in terms of maneuverability.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Buy the diesel. The difference between the ride in the gasser vs the diesel is like night and day. Besides you'll get more power, more generator and more inverter and as stated more cargo space and carrying capacity. Just more of everything with the diesel.
The price of diesel coaches is not getting any cheaper and if you buy the gasser and you are not happy it will cost you a bundle to move to
the diesel.
Size is not a factor in many of the campgrounds I have never had a problem, just pick and choose where you stay

If you have not test driven either do so and
then make up your mind. After haveing done the same as Smlranger its a shame I didn't go with
the diesel from the begining.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Buy the diesel. I bought our first MH, a 2005 Journey 36G in June. We never even had a tent before. We made a trip with toad to California, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Rushmore, Macinac Island from Annapolis, MD in July, 7000 miles without a single problem. Well, I did hit an alligator but... In the mountains, I loved that 350 hp Cat with it's power and exhaust brake.

There are a couple of design problems that we learned to live with. For example, none of the drawer space in the bedroom is accesible with the slide closed.

I had the opportunity to purchase a 2006 from a dealer in Iowa. But after careful consideration I decided on the 2005 that my local dealer had on his lot. In fact, the only reason I bought a Winnebago was because of the importance I placed on having the dealer close by.

I wanted a four door refrigerator but my dealer didn't have one. So I had an ice maker installed in the compartment closest to the entry door. Works like a charm and the refrig will run on LP when underway. I think the 4 door requires AC at all times. My ice maker runs on the inverter and water pump while underway.

James

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

James:

4 door fridge works fine on LP when underway and makes ice better than my fridge at home.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 04:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We had the same decision between the 36G & the 39 winnebago. The deciding factor for us was when the slides on the 39 where closed it made for a very tight hallway to the back while moving. We also liked the side aisle set up and the way the bathroom was in the 36G better.

We opted for full leather and the stainless package, full body paint and we simply love it. More than enough space for storage but as someone stated before when the rear slide is closed, no drawers.

With regard to a gas vs. diesel well I had a gas and the ride is no comparison to the diesel. If you can afford the diesel, get it you won't be sorry.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 12:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The Adventurer is very nice but a 38ft. gas MH will not have the cargo capacity, towing capacity or the air ride, heavy frame, etc. that comes with a diesel.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The 38J will have more CCC than the Journey 39F.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 04:46 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We went from our 5W and diesel truck direct to our 36G. Largely in part due to advice from this forum -- we skipped the gas class A phase.

We have no regrets, hope to work another 10 years or so and pay the coach off before retiring. In our first 14 months, we have 14,000 miles on it.

I have never owned a gasser so cannot give a lot of advice, but the specs are really different when you look clossely.

As far as the 36 vs the 39 issue. I am not familiar with the 39F 2005 but the 39K shows a galley slide. This is something we did not want due to the needed flexible plumbing and propane connections needed. We also did not want a curbside slide as we really enjoy our outdoor living room under the awning. The 36 is great on the road, stopping with slides in. In some spots you have no room to extend slides.

We ordered our 36G as we wanted the banquette with max number of seatbelt positions and the huge storage drawer beneath.

Either way, you are not going to regret getting a diesel. In the future when fossil fuel runs short, diesel fuel will be a renewable resource (biodiesel).

We also like the power and miserly fuel use of the diesel generator. We have 350 hours on our gen already.

Walt
Old 08-09-2005, 12:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the input from everyone. We have not yet made the final call, but have pretty much decided to go with the diesel. I drove a 36G on Saturday and the power and pickup was pretty cool, and much quieter up front than the gas Adventurer.

One advantage of the 39F is the two slides up front which create a larger "living" area when both are opened. But I think you lose a good bit of the outside awning space on the one side when the slide is out.

The 36G has the TripTek computer in it which seems to be a good thing to have, but is a little pricy at over $1,000. But neither of the units have any GPS system. Is that something everyone adds or do many buy one of the handheld portable units? The 39F has large windows on the one side that go almost down to the floor. My wife seems to think that when riding along that will give you a chance to see more of what you are passing by.

Both of these units have been at the dealer for now at least 4 to 5 weeks while we have been looking at them. Is this normal in this price range? I have been looking at LazyDays website and some others and it seems that they sell a lot of them pretty quickly.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Hi CWHTRAINS,
To answer your GPS question from my point of view, check out the Garmin web site for the GPS18 USB. Bought ours at REI for $130.00 and have updated the software twice so far (free updates on the web site). It comes with a software package that's called nRoute and I've installed it on our Gateway tower and two other laptops. In the RV, I connect the S Video output of the Gateway's video card to the TV and get moving map display and routing real time where ever we go. I also have an extensive collection of MapTech topo maps (but need more) loaded on the tower (40 G Byte, 19 States) which gives us moving map topo display (way cool). Plug the GPS 18 into a laptop and use it in the car. Or set your laptop on the dash of the RV for guidance.
Old 08-09-2005, 02:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Hi CWHTRAINS,
Additionally, if you go with the CAT C7, check into getting a Palm Pilot and the CAT software and connection called Pocket Tec. Latest software version is 2.0.7 and supports the C7. It displays real-time information about the engine, it's configuration, totals, and diagnostic codes. Two versions are available, the Fleet version gives more information and allows you the change more operating parameters. The one I like the most is Engine Brake ˜Latch' mode. You can also change the lower speed value for Cruise, and many other items that seem to make the engine operate more like you expect. We to had the option of TripTec but since we had the Pocket Tec with our Journey and its CAT 3126, saw no reason to spend the $1000. We are now at 16 months and 34,000 miles on the Horizon!
Old 08-10-2005, 06:19 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> But neither of the units have any GPS system. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think, a GPS system is optional on most 2006 coaches.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #14
MrG
Winnebago Camper

Location: at exit 308 on I-65 between Huntsville and Birmingham
Just bought a 05 itasca meridian 39f and love it. We wanted the wide space when we are parked. We also love the side entertainment center and 27" tv.