Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Intent good for full timer?

Looking at Intent. Is it good for full-timer? What must-have for RV full-time living? During cold winter, go to warm south. During hot summer, go to north.

Does Intent have tire pressure monitoring system? How important is it for RV?
beautifulday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Check out the thread “For all Intents and purposes...”. It’s the largest source of Intent specific info.
No, it doesn’t have a TPMS system, but some owners have added one. I believe there is a full-timer who posts regularly too.
As with any Ford F53 based class A, read up on suspension, as just about all of them, regardless of model or brand, require upgrades to drive safely down the road.
Steering stabilizer, upgraded sway bars, rear trac bar, Sumo springs, etc. are all common additions to get rid of the white knuckled driving experience.
The Intent 26m suffers greatly from handling issues.
Basically, look for the longest wheelbase with shortest amount of rear overhang for your best driving experience off the lot.
Old 12-06-2020, 03:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We lived a month in ours and it felt like home. As with any motorhome you purchase. There will be a lot of modifications to suite your preferences.

As YGoHom stated, the “For all Intents and purposes...” thread covers a lot of what the Intent owners have done. It is a long read, but worth it.

The 31P handles fairly well as it has one of the better length to wheelbase ratios of the Intent series. Even saying that, you can see in my signature we have done a lot to the suspension.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Whether an Rv fits for full time is certain to vary a great deal with what you find you want.
For me the shorter RV do not have the comfortable seating that we now require but that is open to definition as the dinette is okay for some. No matter how you play the weather there are going to be days when most of us don't want to go outside, whether it is too hot, cold, wet, or whatever, we need to look at what we are going to do inside.
There are times when we find we can't/don't want to extend the slide, so how does that change the inside use? If it cuts you off from the bed when the slide is in, we don't want that!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Very good points. Summary from responses so far

1. Safe driving upgrades: anti-sway bar, Safe-T-Plus, SumoSprings, etc. Seems a lot. Do you need to install those immediately? is it still safe to drive without those? Worrying about big truck passing by or hit by strong wind.

How much CCC will be taken away after installing those upgrades?

2. Living comfortably inside without slide out.

Without TPMS, how do you know if tires will work fine on road?
Old 12-06-2020, 05:49 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulday View Post
Looking at Intent. Is it good for full-timer? What must-have for RV full-time living? During cold winter, go to warm south. During hot summer, go to north.

Does Intent have tire pressure monitoring system? How important is it for RV?
How many people would be living in it full time?
Old 12-06-2020, 07:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
How many people would be living in it full time?
planning for four to six people. the refrigerator is too small. Can it be replaced by 12 cu feet?
Old 12-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #8
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
planning for four to six people. the refrigerator is too small. Can it be replaced by 12 cu feet?
Should have already asked this, but which Intent model are you considering?
Old 12-06-2020, 07:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
That’s a lot of bodies in an Intent of any size. You may want to look into something with a bit more length (36’ ?) with a larger refrigerator already built in. Replacing a fridge isn’t necessarily an easy task.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Should have already asked this, but which Intent model are you considering?
29L or 31P. How big is the fridge in the outside kitchen? The reason considering Intent is that it has >3000 lbs ccc. Other models like sunstar/adventure have about 2000 lbs ccc, too small.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #11
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGoHom View Post
That’s a lot of bodies in an Intent of any size. You may want to look into something with a bit more length (36’ ?) with a larger refrigerator already built in. Replacing a fridge isn’t necessarily an easy task.
Agreed, I was getting to the same point probably, eventually. I think the Intent models seem fit for entry an level coach for a couple, or a couple with at most two VERY small kids. I’m not seeing it in my life as a full time rig.

We got it mainly because we want to be able to get into any place we go (e.g. National Parks, etc.), and (it fits in our current driveway), we’ll probably do that for the next 3 to 4 years and then traded in for something larger to camp at RV spots in retirement. From what I’ve seen, 36’ MINIMUM seems doable for that, for many people full time. I’d even look for one with a half bath in that case...
Old 12-06-2020, 08:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
29L or 31P. How big is the fridge in the outside kitchen? The reason considering Intent is that it has >3000 lbs ccc. Other models like sunstar/adventure have about 2000 lbs ccc, too small.
Good choice staying away from the 30R, as it’s an odd ball model built on the 16k chassis - same as the no longer available 26M. It has reduced carrying capacity in rear by 1000 lbs. and 500 up front. In contrast, it has the largest outside storage capacity. Go figure.
The outside fridge is very small. I’ve read of it being replaced with a freezer, as the main fridge is decent size, but the freezer is a bit small. Like Wyatt said, that’s based on 2 adults. When we pack enough to feed others while camping, you realize how small it is.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:50 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
It is small, things easily fall out of it, and mine does not get very cold. I like the idea of replacing it with a mini freezer. On the other hand, I liked having a few items in it when I was making breakfast outside on my portable stove top so as not to wake the family.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:52 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Some basics to keep in mind if you are planning to full time with 4-6 people:

1) The Dinette and Jackknife sofa do not provide viable sleeping space. The sofa is where you put a guest that you are trying to get to leave. Put the sofa down in one that a dealer has on the lot and see if you would be willing to sleep on it. The dinette is better than the sofa but is on the small side plus it will get very old having to put it up and down every day.

2)The loft bed is pretty good for sleeping but it will need to be put up every day or you will lose the 2 captains chairs for seating unless you are very short.

3) You will need to get the largest waste tanks you can find. You will be shocked how fast they will fill up with 4 or more people. Sure, you can try to stick to campsites that provide sewer hookups but I doubt that will be possible all the time.

4) A bath and a half model would be a big help so that everyone is not waiting in line for the same bathroom. Yes, there are typically bath houses in campgrounds but they are often not very nice and can be crowded.

5) Are there belted seat locations for all travelers?

6) A residential frig would be a good idea because of the space in them over any camping style fridge. We have the biggest Norcold they make in our Vista and even with just the 2 of us it can seem awfully small at times. Thanksgiving was a bit of a challenge.

7) What vehicle will you tow? Finding a vehicle that can accommodate 6 but stay under the 5k tow limit on most gas MHs will be a challenge. There are people that don't tow anything but it is hard to imagine doing that on a full time basis without seriously restricting where you stay.

I recognize that not everyone has the same needs but it is still a good idea to run through some thought experiments to make sure reality will actually match your vision.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:58 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Agreed, I was getting to the same point probably, eventually. I think the Intent models seem fit for entry an level coach for a couple, or a couple with at most two VERY small kids. I’m not seeing it in my life as a full time rig.

We got it mainly because we want to be able to get into any place we go (e.g. National Parks, etc.), and (it fits in our current driveway), we’ll probably do that for the next 3 to 4 years and then traded in for something larger to camp at RV spots in retirement. From what I’ve seen, 36’ MINIMUM seems doable for that, for many people full time. I’d even look for one with a half bath in that case...
The 31P has bunk beds and the loft, it has seat belts for 7, and can sleep 6 without using the dinette or sofa. One caveat on the bunk beds, an adult needs a firmer foam mattress. They are a bit soft and really only good for children.
Old 12-07-2020, 12:42 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

My wife and I live in our Intent 30R full-time.

My first question to you is will you be keeping any sort of a sticks and bricks home?

If not, then storage will be an issue. You will not have enough closet space for 4-6 people. We don't have enough for even 2 people.

The dinette is comfortable for 2 adults. Much more than that would be a squeeze.

We go shopping once a week due to refer size.

We have a storage unit nearby us for things like bicycles, extra clothes, decorations Christmas, thanksgiving, July 4th, small appliances. We can go get it if needed but not enough storage to keep it in the motorhome
SCCAFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 03:28 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Thanks all for listing things important for full timer.

My No.1 concern is the quality, quality. That is the main reason I consider Winnebago over other brands. We will not keep stick & brick home, and do not want RV to sit on dealer's lot waiting for repair, and no place to stay.

Can Winnebago Intent hold up to my expectation (quality) for full-time living?
Old 12-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #18
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:

My No.1 concern is the quality, quality. That is the main reason I consider Winnebago over other brands. We will not keep stick & brick home, and do not want RV to sit on dealer's lot waiting for repair, and no place to stay.

I'm certainly not going to promise that. Just look a the posts on this forum. Most are about issues with their RV. If one of you four is handy, mechanically inclined or such, I'd say this might work for you. But if you expect it to be all roses right out of the gate, you'll be disappointed I think.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:21 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

You are going to get what you pay for. The Intent is the bottom rung of the Winnebago line, but, in my opinion, is better built than the competition.

We purchased ours used, and have no idea what the original owners went through to fix issues from the factory. This is an issue common to all brands I am told.
  • On the Winnebago slide outs, the bottom of the slide is a sheet of steel. All of the competition I have seen only puts strips of metal where the interior rollers will make contact, and leaves the rest of the slide out as treated plywood.
  • The walls of the intent are the kind you would find in a mobile home. Thin sheets of pressed wood with a "wallpaper" glued to them. Tape with the same print covers the seams.
  • The water lines are Pex and have been easy to service thus far.
  • Furniture is basic, but has been durable.
  • Gas engine keeps the price down, but the Ford F-53 chassis does not have the best ride quality.
  • Some models have rinse lines pre-installed for the waste tanks, others, you will need to install them.
  • You will be limited to 30A service and a single air conditioner. Generally not a problem unless you summer in Arizona.
  • Batteries are limited, but can be upgraded to AGM or Lithium.
  • Plenty of room to add solar as well.

As with any motorhome, there are endless comfort improvements which can be made. My family has lived over a month out of the past 7 months we have owned ours, and are happy to spend a few more months in it during the next few. I think what really matters is what expectations you have for it.

As stated earlier, if selling your home, keep a storage unit. Travel light in the Intent.
Old 12-07-2020, 06:27 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Based on our experience with 2 adults and a 10+ year old child, I would say that even one other child in our Vista (similar to the intent) would be a challenge for more than a week. We have done long trips, and spent 14 days in the coach. But you need to be hooked up, or the ladies fill up the tanks quickly. In addition, the hot water heater is not designed for lots of use. 4-6 people taking showers would take quite a long time for hot water to regenerate.

Another thing to consider is the beds, you will certainly have to upgrade the mattress in the front drop down bed, and the fold out couch is not comfortable.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote