Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2020, 06:50 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
Based on our experience with 2 adults and a 10+ year old child, I would say that even one other child in our Vista (similar to the intent) would be a challenge for more than a week. We have done long trips, and spent 14 days in the coach. But you need to be hooked up, or the ladies fill up the tanks quickly. In addition, the hot water heater is not designed for lots of use. 4-6 people taking showers would take quite a long time for hot water to regenerate.

Another thing to consider is the beds, you will certainly have to upgrade the mattress in the front drop down bed, and the fold out couch is not comfortable.
We (Myself, wife, and 8 year old) take camp showers so hot water is not an issue. Quick in and out. With 4 people you will be dumping your tanks every other day. So either find a site with hookups, or get a portable dump tank (Not recommended).

The Intent is camping in style, if you want all of the luxuries of home, spend 3-4x more and get a diesel pusher, or get a 5th wheel and a 2500 diesel truck.
theSane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSane View Post
We (Myself, wife, and 8 year old) take camp showers so hot water is not an issue. Quick in and out. With 4 people you will be dumping your tanks every other day. So either find a site with hookups, or get a portable dump tank (Not recommended).

The Intent is camping in style, if you want all of the luxuries of home, spend 3-4x more and get a diesel pusher, or get a 5th wheel and a 2500 diesel truck.
Yes, and if we didn't buy it in the middle of COVID, we would probably do the same.

So far, we have done well. My daughter and I did 7 days from CA to CO and back. And never hooked up, except for power 2 days. Luckily we were visiting family, so got showers from them!

Yes, glamping is the way. When I met my wife all my camping gear fit in my backpack, and I could spend a week in a wilderness area without any contact. It is different now...

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:12 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Most of time we will be staying in campgroud fully hooked up, traveling around the country. If the refrigerator is 12 cu feet, Intent would be very nice because of its big CCC.

Intent has side and rear cameras. Do they have night vision? Do side cameras have blind spots?

There is a big blind spot in the front. A front camera would be very helpful.
beautifulday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 11:38 PM   #24
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulday View Post
Most of time we will be staying in campgroud fully hooked up, traveling around the country. If the refrigerator is 12 cu feet, Intent would be very nice because of its big CCC.

Intent has side and rear cameras. Do they have night vision? Do side cameras have blind spots?

Hmm. Interesting questions.

First, the back camera on my 2018 26m, now discontinued (the RV, not the camera), had only one back camera—later iterations added the two side cameras. It does have a display that you can use at night, but it’s not very clear. We added Rigid back up lights, so in reverse, they illuminate the area behind, in case we pull in at dark.

Problem for me with those side cameras, when we’ve rented ones that had them, as you have to look at the middle display while driving, instead of watching the road. So, IMHO, I have no use for them.

Not sure what the need would be for a front camera? That’s what you see when you look out the front windshield...
Old 12-08-2020, 04:20 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

The rear camera has been a nice crutch when towing to help judge distances of other vehicles when changing lanes. Have not really needed it while driving without a tow vehicle, except when backing in, but I generally have a spotter anyway. Do not have side cameras, I am sure they are nice, but the mirrors work well enough I have not felt the need to add them.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:25 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

You should watch this:

I would not put too much importance on the side cameras. They may be nice to have on occasion but you will need to learn how to adjust and use your mirrors regardless of the camera. With properly adjusted mirrors, there is no blind spot on the drivers side. The passengers side has a blind spot right next to the passenger and is why some RVs have what most people call a doggie window. We don't have that window but have solved the problem with a fresnel lens on the passenger window.

https://www.amazon.com/CIPA-60300-Wi...a-524053212125

The rear camera is a great advantage when parking and allows you to keep an eye on your toad. After you get some experience, you will adjust to the front blind spot (12ft on our RV).
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 11:52 PM   #27
Winnebago Camper

The educational video is nice, and need to practice with a RV.

Intent has removable propane bottles. Can they be filled up in RV gas stations? or exchange only (empty bottles with full bottles)? It can hold totally 4 bottles. Is it very easy to get propane bottles in and out?
Old 12-09-2020, 04:27 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

Intent has removable propane bottles. Can they be filled up in RV gas stations? or exchange only (empty bottles with full bottles)? It can hold totally 4 bottles. Is it very easy to get propane bottles in and out?
You can fill or replace them any way you would normally fill consumer propane bottles.

When pulling Tina (our Intent) out of storage, I have parked in the Costco lot, carried the bottles over to the filling station, gotten them filled, re-installed, bought groceries, and continued on. Costco will not fill permanently installed propane tanks.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:25 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Quote:

I just take mine to Walmart and switch them out. its like $14.95 a bottle where I live. Some RV parks are able to refill. For unremovable tanks I have seen LP trucks come in and refill RV's.
SCCAFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:16 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

When I lived out in the country, the local propane company would come to the house to fill the 250 gal buried tank we had for home heating. All they wanted was an address and a credit card, and would make next day deliveries. If you can find one in the local phone book, they should be able to fill the permanent tanks for you.

Rates vary through the year with Winter deliveries being 3-4 times the cost of spring/summer propane.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:36 PM   #31
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:

Our 2018 26m has room For four tanks, but one was occupied with a bracket, meaning we could only get three on board. I removed the brace, so yes, now we can carry four. I reconfigured it so now they back two tanks—which are somewhat difficult to get to, are for the coach propane, while the two front tanks, we use for outdoor fires/Blackstone grill because we can get them in and out more easily.

Any place that swaps bottled propane out, Blue Rhino, whatever will do the job, or any pro ape refilling station, like UHaul.

Personally, I use Cynch. They come and swap my used bottles at my house. I just tell them what day they’ll be on the front porch, and the come with new full tanks. Actually cheaper than Americrest or Blue Rhino.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:12 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2018 29L. Have added rear trak bar, sumo springs, front and rear aux. sway bar, roadmaster steering stabilizer. Used tire pressure monitor from previous class C rv. Built and installed a new bracket for center dash pod. I did have a slide issue which dealer installed new motor and wiring harness (the day after I picked rv up at dealer the slide failed), I ordered and installed a new motor controller. One item I find helpful was the fridge latch which YGoHom sent me.
habermanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 11:06 PM   #33
Winnebago Camper

Unfortunately Intent is dealer stock only now. not many available, difficult to get good deal. Hopefully a new Intent will be coming out soon.
Old 12-15-2020, 09:03 AM   #34
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Thanks all for listing things important for full timer.

My No.1 concern is the quality, quality. That is the main reason I consider Winnebago over other brands. We will not keep stick & brick home, and do not want RV to sit on dealer's lot waiting for repair, and no place to stay.

Can Winnebago Intent hold up to my expectation (quality) for full-time living?
I've been living in my Intent 30R since I bought it in March, 2020. For me it is good, but not great. I'd say it's the best value for the money out there. I bought it new and I paid $80K plus tax. I flew to Florida to pick it up. I drove it to Austin for a month, then Arkansas for the summer, and now we are in South Texas for the winter.

I wouldn't get the 31P because it is a long slideout on one wall. The others are 2 small for us (2 people). The rig is not comfortable with the slides in. It feels liveable with the slides out. The ride/drive is white knuckle for me, but it was my first RV, and I got used to it.

I haven't had many warranty issues, and I've fixed them myself because Winnebago is not going to be full-timer friendly. You will have to leave the rig for several days to get service, from what I am told. They even made a comment that the warranty does not cover full-time use.

I only wanted to buy new. If you are willing to buy used you have more options. For me, I have not seen another rig, new, at that price that gives me what I want, except for Thor products which I won't touch because I don't think they are good quality.

Feel free to ask me other questions, if you want.

That said, if anybody wants to buy a lightly used (8K miles) 2020 Winnebago Intent 30R, I'm a seller at the right price. I don't think full-time living is for me because of the costs and work involved in owning any RV. Plus I get tired of driving after an hour or two. Road trips aren't for me.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:02 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Steve View Post
I've been living in my Intent 30R since I bought it in March, 2020. For me it is good, but not great. I'd say it's the best value for the money out there. I bought it new and I paid $80K plus tax. I flew to Florida to pick it up. I drove it to Austin for a month, then Arkansas for the summer, and now we are in South Texas for the winter.

I wouldn't get the 31P because it is a long slideout on one wall. The others are 2 small for us (2 people). The rig is not comfortable with the slides in. It feels liveable with the slides out. The ride/drive is white knuckle for me, but it was my first RV, and I got used to it.

I haven't had many warranty issues, and I've fixed them myself because Winnebago is not going to be full-timer friendly. You will have to leave the rig for several days to get service, from what I am told. They even made a comment that the warranty does not cover full-time use.

I only wanted to buy new. If you are willing to buy used you have more options. For me, I have not seen another rig, new, at that price that gives me what I want, except for Thor products which I won't touch because I don't think they are good quality.

Feel free to ask me other questions, if you want.

That said, if anybody wants to buy a lightly used (8K miles) 2020 Winnebago Intent 30R, I'm a seller at the right price. I don't think full-time living is for me because of the costs and work involved in owning any RV. Plus I get tired of driving after an hour or two. Road trips aren't for me.
$80K is good deal for 30R. 29L is for 100K right now on dealer's lot.
Old 12-16-2020, 09:20 PM   #36
Winnebago Camper

Yes, I saw one about January, new for $76K, but it was a 2019, and it sold quickly. I was out of the country until March, 2020, and I didn't want to lose this one at $80K from a dealer in Florida, so I sent them a $5K deposit, sight unseen, to hold it. It was a risk, but I don't regret it now. I had studied a lot of RV floorplans, I studied its 3D walkthrough online, and I knew the Winnebago name for 50 years, so I felt safe taking that leap of faith. [and now I think prices have gone up because of demand during the pandemic]
Old 12-17-2020, 12:59 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Steve View Post
Yes, I saw one about January, new for $76K, but it was a 2019, and it sold quickly. I was out of the country until March, 2020, and I didn't want to lose this one at $80K from a dealer in Florida, so I sent them a $5K deposit, sight unseen, to hold it. It was a risk, but I don't regret it now. I had studied a lot of RV floorplans, I studied its 3D walkthrough online, and I knew the Winnebago name for 50 years, so I felt safe taking that leap of faith. [and now I think prices have gone up because of demand during the pandemic]
You bought it from Florida, is it out of state? did they charge Florida sales tax instead of your home state sales tax? Can you register it in Florida? It would be nice living in Florida in winter as full timer if we do not need to drive back home for registration.
Old 12-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
You bought it from Florida, is it out of state? did they charge Florida sales tax instead of your home state sales tax? Can you register it in Florida? It would be nice living in Florida in winter as full timer if we do not need to drive back home for registration.
We bought ours in Ohio, and paid the Columbus Ohio tax. Then when we registered it in CA, we had to turn in our Title, to get a new one, get it smoked in CA, it was brand new, and pay the difference in CA state and local taxes. That was about another $5,000!

Should've registered it in FL where we have a house.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:10 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

I bought it in Florida and I told them I wanted to register in Texas where I maintain my domicile. I'm a native Texan and that's where I am now. I gave them my Texas address and they did they paperwork. After about a month I got my tags in the mail. I think it was slowed down for the pandemic that was hitting back then. Buying my Jeep in Arkansas was a bigger headache.