Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-21-2021, 09:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

how do I put bleach into the fresh water tank

Please excuse my newbie question but I want to sanitize my fresh water tank (as per the instructions in the manual) but I don't know how to add bleach to the tank. I can't use a funnel because of the fill valve. Any help?
scooooots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:55 AM   #2
Site Team

Hi Scooooots,
Hook-up your drained fresh water hose to your RV, then pour the bleach into the open end of your hose. Chase it in with fresh water, and you are off to the races!
Welcome to the forum.
Eagle5
Old 08-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks very much, I didn't expect it to be such an unsophisticated solution. I'm very surprised the manual doesn't give any indication of how to do this. All it states is, pour chlorine solution into the tank. I'll give this a try!
scooooots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #4
Site Team

Eagle5 is correct... but for some reason someone came up with a product to do the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Inline-San...dp/B08F2QTQ5T/
Old 08-21-2021, 04:11 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Eagle5 is correct... but for some reason someone came up with a product to do the same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/RV-Inline-San...dp/B08F2QTQ5T/

That's cute. And for 10 bucks I might even consider it just for the convenience and less chance of spillage. But $33?!! That's just plain nuts.
Old 08-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Another option... on many units there is a capped hose that feeds into the water pump. Usually used to suck RV antifreeze in for winterizing, but can also be used to suck bleach. Make sure your valves are set to fill the water tank.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

If you have a whole house filter, unscrew it and remove the filter, which you should do anyhow. Pour the bleach in the filter, screw it back on and then fill the tank. When water starts to flow out the overflow shut the water off and let it sit for 4 hours. Fill the tank and flush at least once, but preferably twice.,..That's my way..
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:25 AM   #8

A flexible funnel makes it easy on my View.
https://www.amazon.com/FlexAll-Funne...dp/B093WXCPJW/
SteveD49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 08:02 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Another option... on many units there is a capped hose that feeds into the water pump. Usually used to suck RV antifreeze in for winterizing, but can also be used to suck bleach. Make sure your valves are set to fill the water tank.
If you use this method, be sure to flush fresh water thru your pump. DO NOT let straight bleach set in your pump for any period of time.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:00 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Be very very careful my friend. My DW who is a germophobic put waaaaay to much bleach in our water tank. We got to our destination and we simply could not use the water to shower or anything else. I've flushed the tank twice and it still smells like bleach.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn Charlie View Post
If you use this method, be sure to flush fresh water thru your pump. DO NOT let straight bleach set in your pump for any period of time.
Agreed. I should have added that.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I use the whole house filter also. Remove filter first and then fill.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
If you have a whole house filter, unscrew it and remove the filter, which you should do anyhow. Pour the bleach in the filter, screw it back on and then fill the tank. When water starts to flow out the overflow shut the water off and let it sit for 4 hours. Fill the tank and flush at least once, but preferably twice.,..That's my way..
What Wayne said. This is by the book

I also turn on the faucets and shower until I smell the chlorine coming out of each. I let it sit 4 hours or overnight and drain and I am all good.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3; Roadmaster Nighthawk 676; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; Southwire EMS 44270/34951 Display 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 04:23 PM   #14

I have a filter on the incoming line. I remove the filter and add bleach in the empty cannister. We realized that not all potable water is safe when my wife got Beaver Fever somewhere in the Yukon or Northern BC. My dog and I were unaffected. So now we've increased the level of chlorine in our freshwater tank and use an active carbon filter for drinking water. The amount of chlorine is near the upper end for safe water, so it's OK for showering or washing, but it does have a taste if you do not have a carbon filter.
Jos 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 04:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I agree with wyocamper
Westonbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 04:33 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Cut a 4 inch square hole in the side of a 2 liter soda bottle and use it as a funnel. It fits very nicely in the fill hole on your trailer.
Bobgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 04:36 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Be careful not to use way too much bleach and also flush your tank afterwards otherwise you will have residual chlorine in you water
n9wdq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 04:42 PM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

Make it simple ! First, empty your fresh water tank! Second, if you have a gravity water refill , use a fennel to be able to pour cloin in .
Usually, I put clorin first, than water. And than, I take it to a short spin, park, leave it to rest for about 4 hours. You know the rest...
Iony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 05:29 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by n9wdq View Post
Be careful not to use way too much bleach and also flush your tank afterwards otherwise you will have residual chlorine in you water
A small note on this is to keep it from confusing folks who do not know water treatment.
You DO WANT a chlorine residual in the water as it is normal as a way to keep the remaining bacteria that is in all water from growing/reproducing to a point where it is likely to make you sick.

A level of 3-10 PPM is spec for public water supplies using chlorine. Water treatment has to be a bit of "estimate" as the amount of organic the treatment meets is often unknown, so some thought on how you will use the water in the tank is needed. If you are the type who may use and refill the tank every few days so that you replenish the chlorine on refills, you can use less than if you are the type which may add the treated water and not use it for a few weeks.
It is always good to keep in mind that the treatment is not meant to kill ALL the bad stuff we find in the water but to knock it back to a level that is considered safe for most people to drink. The amount left in water, even bottled water, is still going to grow and become dangerous at some point in time.
Check bottled water and you may find the expiration date and that is an estimate of when the levels of bacteria may become a hazard again.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 05:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Flushing fresh water tank

We live on a well and don’t use chlorine to clean the fresh water tank for that reason. 1/2 gallon of white vinegar and then fill the fresh water tank then drain. We usually do that twice. No residual chlorine taste or smell
1Albert2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water