Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-23-2021, 11:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

The bed!!! 2016 winnebago adventurer

I think my husband and I have had it with this bed!! In the one page "about" in owners manual says it's an Ideal Rest, we've seen Luxery Support, Innomax and Freedom air among other names on the parts.
I was up just about all night reading this online community remarks. I hope we've made the right decision we measured base and ordered a Calf king Nectar. I sure hope it fits!! Anyone know ways to accomplish the task when it arrives? The bed is on one of the small slides so I know the head has to be up for it to close. Do we just take those bed tubes and covering off and lay the new one on? Just leave all the mechanical stuff under the plywood?? I sure need some good restful sleep!
Simplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I hope that you didn't mess up and order the wrong bed. I have never heard of an RV with a California King mattress. They are longer than a standard King mattress and most RVs don't have the room for an extra long mattress.
Mtn Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We could've ordered the regular king but it was 2 inches wider and its really tight in the bedroom now. I had my husband take down the doors between bedroom and living/kitchen area cause I wanted the extra 6 inches to move!! Just us and our dog so didn't need those pretty doors. They are in storage. Saving grace is warranty seems really good and we don't have to keep it if we can't use it.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:46 PM   #4
Site Team

Hi,
We installed a California King from the company "Leesa" and have done well with it.

However, the Cal King is 2" longer than the Ideal Rest mattress.

My Adventurer is a 2017 so I'd guess yours is probably set up like mine.

If you put the bed down in flat position and then look below the headboard where the mattress meets the wall you will see a 3-4" thick bolster running across the width of the bed. On my Adventurer, this was screwed directly to the wall with a simple wood screw on each end.

I unscrewed that bolster and... voila! 4" of extra room and you only need two inches for the Call King. The Cal King is the perfect width.

Now we did have some very minor interference from the padding on the lower part of the headboard. It only occurs when the bed is at it's lowest position and you begin to raise it. I usually just put a hand on the top of the mattress to be sure that it didn't get hung up there.

After the first 3 or 4 times doing that I found that the entire headboard could be removed by removing two very small screws hiding in the the fabric pleats on each side. So, we removed the headboard and have lived without it ever since.

We have discussed making a new headboard from scratch that looks better and isn't as thick - but have never gotten around to it.

With that 4" bolster removed the Cal King fits without problem though there is now a 2" gap between the mattress and the wall. When we're traveling we don't do anything about that. But when parked somewhere for a few weeks we'll roll up an extra blanket to put back there to keep the pillows from wanting to find that slot.

That 4" bolster is nothing but a piece of luan with 4" of foam rubber glued to it and a piece of fabric stretched over the foam and stapled to the back of the luan. Like the headboard, we've discussed cutting the foam to 1/2 it's thickness and reinstalling that, too. But, it's too low on the priority list.

All in all - after 3-years - we've been very happy we made the change.
Old 08-23-2021, 02:56 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Do we just take those bed tubes and covering off and lay the new one on? Just leave all the mechanical stuff under the plywood??
The bed comes apart in lot's of pieces. We removed all of them including the pump under the bed and put them in the Attic in case we ever wanted to switch back. We have not wanted that.

You can sell the parts from the Ideal Rest. Innomax charges a fortune for those parts and we do see people looking for them from time to time.

Here's our Cal King Leesa mattress in position with the headboard removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leesa2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	279.6 KB
ID:	180630  
Old 08-26-2021, 05:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have recieved our mattress. Do you have an easy way or a site, to remove current bed without messing up motor? I want to get all the dust dirt etc out,anything I should know.
Thanks
Old 08-26-2021, 07:04 AM   #7
Site Team

I don’t know exactly what you’re looking for, but here’s a video about how to assemble the rest easy mattress. We just did the opposite when we removed it.

Old 08-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I purchased a Tempur Pedic and took it to a local foam supply shop. It was too big. They have a huge band saw to cut their large foam blocks. Trimmed a small amount on two sides. Slid it in place. Perfect. Never bought a bed online. Old fashioned. Fuddy duddy. Never had a problem.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, vent, winnebago