Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-15-2023, 05:51 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Mike you don't have to take it to a CAT dealer/shop for engine-related problems. Begin now searching for an independent HDT repair shop that works on CAT engines in MH's. It might take a lot of talking with shop managers to find one, so be patient.
They don't have silly rules like that 10 yr. limit.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 05:58 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

So, picked up my rig yesterday. First of all, I want to say that I'm extremely happy with the service and pricing from Freightliner Custom Chassis.

Since I only purchased her two years ago, I wanted an overall inspection and lube as well as a coolant and ATF flush as I had to top off coolant during a trip last year in Florida and I wasn't sure if I had added the wrong stuff and I didn't know when it was last done.

They found worn bushings and control arms as well as brake lines. There was also a crack in the expansion tank which of course I had taken care of while I was there.

As four our issue causing random shut downs, I'm embarrassed to say how silly it was. Apparently one of the power cables had a broken turnbuckle that looked fine but would freely rotate. I obviously missed this when I inspected the wires and made new one for any that looked worn. This one looked fine but had separated internally. They found it by running the engine and wiggling all of the cables one by one.

The good news it overall I got a clean bill of health, took care of some maintenance items, and was able to drive home the four hours without a single shutoff. The tech came out to talk to me as I wanted to better understand the problem in case something like that happens again. He was an obvious Caterpillar fan as he gushed for about 5 min about it.

Overall, the rig is in great shape and I'm happy that this item is finally resolved and that everything else has been taken care of.
Maddmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, journey