Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2020, 06:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Fuel Guage Issue

I have a 1996 Itasca Suncruiser on a Ford chassis. The fuel guage shows a half tank of fuel with ignition in off position. When I turn key on, the Guage goes to empty and stays there. When I turn ignition off, it goes back to fuel level. Where do I start looking to cure problem? Thanks
ducdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Ducdog,
The fuel gauge reading a half a tank in the off position may be the default indication. The tank reading empty when running might be as simple as the cork falling-off the fuel tank sensor.
Does anyone else with a 1996 F53 Chassis get a half-tank indication on their fuel gauge when the engine is switched-off?
Welcome to the Forum.
Eagle5
Old 12-04-2020, 06:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Eagle 5. Looking forward to being a part of this group
I kinda have a feeling it may be something going on with the sending unit. Just don't want to have to drop that 75 gallon fuel tank if I don't need to. I'll wait to see if anyone replies to your question. The other day the generator stopped running and would not start back up. I had driven the RV on Thanksgiving day about 75 miles I figured it may be below a 1/4 tank of fuel, the gas needle at that time was between 1/2 and 1/4 tank. Closer to 1/4
So I drove to the store and got 15 gallons of gas. When I got home, generator fired right back up. So, lol, I am assuming, a quarter tank of fuel was around 18 gallons plus the 15 I put in = 32 gallons. A half of tank should be 37.5 gallons. That's just about where the gas needle is at when the ignition is in the off position.
ducdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 10:34 AM   #4
Site Team

Hi again Ducdog,
As the generator fuel line is attached at the ¼ tank level, we definitely have a hard data point for that. There are grounding tests that can be performed which should send the fuel gauge either to totally full, or to totally empty.
Good luck; Eagle5
Old 12-09-2020, 06:55 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Have 2016 F53 Chassis on our 38Q. I have not seen that problem as of yet (???) Fingers crossed. Good luck with a solution and am anxious to see here how you make out.

PS you may want to post something about this on IRV2 on the Ford chassis forum there?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 02:12 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

ducdog, I had a 1996 Winnebago Adventurer. I never completely trusted the fuel gauge. When I first bought it, the speedometer would suddenly read many (like 40 +) miles above my actual speed. I don't know where the loose connection was, but, I removed several ground wires, cleaned the connections and reconnected. Eventually I solved the speedometer problem. However, I only half-way believed the fuel level. I had the fuel pump replaced two times trying to solve a problem, which turned out to be a bad coolant temperature sensor. It only took about $2,500 for the mechanic to locate the problem and replace the sensor. Oh, I don't use that mechanic anymore.

Tags
fuel, maintenance