Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-24-2020, 08:33 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

I also have a 2019 Forza 38W that has had the basement doors open quite often. Been to dealer and they didn't fix it. Called factory and they don't have a fix. I just filed a complaint with NHTSA, lets see if that turns the heat up. IMHO everyone having a problem should go to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/?
and open a case and refer to NHTSA Safety Recall 19V-152
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

YUP..one of first issues on ours. RECALL is available by the lock maker. You should probably be able to notify any dealer, have them order for you and get them installed.
Sheilag1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 01:20 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

I received my second interim recall notice in January 2020, and at that time no fix was available. Previous to that I tried to file with the NHTSA but my VIN was not in their system. I went ahead and filed one today. This is after numerous cases of my doors coming open, in the middle of city traffic was the worse!
Old 08-25-2020, 05:49 PM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for filing

I too had a problem entering my VIN a few months back, and yesterday it worked. The more folks that file the better. Thanks again setaylor216!!
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 07:03 PM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

Received info on remedy from Winnebago Dealer, they are adding a 2nd black turn knob
Latch to each of the 13 storage doors. After waiting two years for a remedy, not happy with the remedy. My opinion is this changes the appearance and resale value of our units.
(if you have a defective latch you do not just add a 2nd latch and leave defective latch)
Not awful but feel this is just a patch job for poor engineering!
Love to hear opinion from other Owners.
Thanks
Tom
Tom Kalish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:28 AM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kalish View Post
Received info on remedy from Winnebago Dealer, they are adding a 2nd black turn knob
Latch to each of the 13 storage doors. After waiting two years for a remedy, not happy with the remedy. My opinion is this changes the appearance and resale value of our units.
(if you have a defective latch you do not just add a 2nd latch and leave defective latch)
Not awful but feel this is just a patch job for poor engineering!
Love to hear opinion from other Owners.
Thanks
Tom
I have seen what this new knob looks like on the door and it looks like crap . I had a guy from Winnebago come out and he ground a grove in the currant latch and adjusted all the doors . He said I should not have any more issues with them and that I could still have the recall done if I feel the need to . Well I must say that we have been on three trips since he made this modification with NO doors popping open ! I think this guy knows whats going on and I don't think I will be having those UGLY extra latches put on my rig .
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ficca View Post
I have seen what this new knob looks like on the door and it looks like crap . I had a guy from Winnebago come out and he ground a grove in the currant latch and adjusted all the doors . He said I should not have any more issues with them and that I could still have the recall done if I feel the need to . Well I must say that we have been on three trips since he made this modification with NO doors popping open ! I think this guy knows whats going on and I don't think I will be having those UGLY extra latches put on my rig .
Tell me more. Where was the grove made?. Handle or catch. Pics would be nice. Thanks
deckape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 02:12 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them with explanation
Tom Ficca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 11:15 AM   #29
Winnebago Camper

Forza basement door recall

Would like to see pictures of the new latch. I also took a small dreamily tool and put a notch on the flat part of the nylon bolt. Seems to work - so far. Not pleased however
Larry48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 02:31 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

My 34T is at my dealer right now awaiting the recall work (and 11 other issues just as my 3 year warranty is ending). I will be posting pix whenever I get it back, however I’m interested in this GROOVE thing and would like to see pix of that modification. I’m not keen on this 2nd knob installation mentioned above.

PICTURES PEOPLE!! PLEASE!! I will be having to make a decision very very soon!
CoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:39 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Here is a picture of the groov or vermicelli notch
Larry48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #32
Winnebago Camper

Perhaps a solution

I might have a solution to this problem: I have a new to me 2017 Forza 34T. Our first trip in a compartment door swung open on the freeway. It happened again on our second trip when three total doors swung open while on the highway.

After reading the posts here I decided to try putting a notch in the latches as in Larry48’s post. After taking off the covering bracket I closed the door to see where to line up the notch on the latch and took the first picture.

This may be hard to see but the latch just barely reaches over the bracket holding the door shut. Those plastic latches are flexible so it doesn’t take much of a bump to have that latch slide off and the door to open. 4 of my doors had the latches just barely over the bar.

The second picture is of that bracket. It’s held in place by two nuts on either side of the wall that can be turned by a 7/16 wrench. Its adjustable if you loosen the nut on behind wall the you can pull the brackout out until the latch lines up more in the middle and then tighten the inside nut. (it’s a cramped space so the smaller the 7/16 wrench you can find will make it easier).

On the 2 hour ride home with some bumpy road had no problems with the doors opening. I am not positive I have solved the problem. I have also ordered the metal latches suggested by hansel49. But its pretty clear that having just the tip of the latch holding the door close has to contribute to the issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4747.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	175738   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	175739  

Bill Custer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I received the recall on the latching about a month ago but was heading out for a long trip and just got back. It's going back to the dealer in a few weeks to do the recall they will be ordering the material. According to my letter they will be adding a second latch and verify that the catch/latch is in proper adjustment. Not sure what they mean be a second latch but I've heard part of the fix is it's metal vs. plastic. As soon as I have it done I'll take some pictures and post the result.
Thxs
1237dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:08 AM   #34
Winnebago Watcher

Forza door adjustment

I believe Bill C is on to something. While applying a small amount of white grease to my latches (plastic piece) I noticed some of them where only just falling in behind the catch (metal adjustable piece) by looking at the scrape line in the white grease. The catch or metal part the plastic plunger clicks behind to hold the door shut is very adjustable. By moving it toward the door I was able to get all the latch's well in behind the catch. By moving it in and out you can set the pressure on the door seals. I know a lot of folks have had doors adjusted at dealers but how much time do they really spend doing it. One last point I have never had a door open while traveling, however I always before pulling out put a knee or hip into the door at the latch and have heard an audible click a time or two.
Tombstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Photos of additional latch

These pics are of another Forza - not mine - so I wasn’t about to open the compartment so see how the new latch works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DA030221-63B1-49C1-A7B7-3A7EE0180844.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	341.1 KB
ID:	175904   Click image for larger version

Name:	666A6530-50E2-41E7-94AF-B727C9AE19A5.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	183.0 KB
ID:	175905  

Name:	7B974F36-DEA7-4CE0-A7CC-DD5566644AA6.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	175906  
khocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:23 AM   #36
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by khocke View Post
These pics are of another Forza - not mine - so I wasn’t about to open the compartment so see how the new latch works.
Thanks I was told they were adding another latch and I'll find out as mine goes in next week for that recall and that would match up with the Winnebago recall letter. Do you know if this was because of the recall or did the person modify his MH because he was frustrated. In any case it should resolve the problem or they have a bigger issue if it opens up after the addition of an additional latch. I'll be interested if there's a different key for this new lock whether he did it or Winnebago. I was also told by Winnebago this would take about 5 hrs.. I wish they could've just come up with a complete new latching mechanism that just would've replaced what is already there. Though with two locks now it will provide a little better security and also will be a pain locking and unlocking them. Well my MH heads in next week to do the recall and a few other issues so I'll come back and let those interested what is done. Thanks
Old 11-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #37
Winnebago Camper

The new latch isn’t a key lock... just two ‘ears’ to twist. I didn’t try to open it so don’t know if they’ve got a spring loaded return or not.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #38
Site Team

Wow, that seems like an unacceptable solution to a factory design problem. I'd complain about anyone adding that outside latch to my compartment doors. Recall or no, I'd find some other work around, even if it took ordering all new "slam" latches.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:45 PM   #39
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Wow, that seems like an unacceptable solution to a factory design problem. I'd complain about anyone adding that outside latch to my compartment doors. Recall or no, I'd find some other work around, even if it took ordering all new "slam" latches.
Though I'd have to agree with you my concern is it opening on a roadway whether a highway
or city street and causing an accident. Worse yet causing an injury or death. Who do you think will be blame, sure Winnebago will be bear some of it but ultimately it will be the motorhome driver. Is it right, not at all. But I think if replacing the "slam" latches would've solve the problem that would've been a lot easier and already been done. My understanding the first fix which was replacing the plastic deadlatch with a metal one didn't solve the problem 100% of the time. My understanding is NHSTA approves the resolution for a safety recalls so I would they've done their homework and feel its the best fix whether we like it or not. I just want this fixed so I'm not constantly looking at my side mirrors on every bump, corner, etc. To see if one opened but before they do mine I'll review the fix anyway. Thanks
Old 11-22-2020, 02:24 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1237dmctlc View Post
I think if replacing the "slam" latches would've solve the problem that would've been a lot easier and already been done.
How are the latches working on new Forzas? Are they doing this outside knob add on to the new 2020/2021 Forza RVs? If not, how did they fix this issue?

Why don't the compartment doors on my Adventurer fly open? The latches on my Adventurer look IDENTICAL to these in every way. What's different about the Forza installation?

Maybe this fix is cheaper because the slam latches are installed into a painted surface and the cost to replace that latch with a new one would have to include painting them to match the existing latch on the motorhome. About the only option without painting would be to replace those latches with Chrome latches so they don't have to each be pained.

All of this is just guessing here....

Tags
door, recall, storage